Champlain canal, NY.

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone boat the Champlain canal? Never been, but want to give it a try. If we have a good Saturday or Sunday in early Oct, thinking of spending a day up there, just to say we did it... If not Oct, maybe in the spring. Only plan on heading up thru 3 or 4 locks. I have a 2.5 hr drive to get there, and 2.5 back, so my time on the water is limited..

I have a few questions. They may seem elemental, but never having done a canal, I want to be prepared, and not look like a complete idiot.

I have the charts for the Hudson, and the canal up to Whitehall, and am a little familiar with the Hudson in the Albany/Troy area (been there once).. I know I'll need a permit, I see Coeyman's sells them, so will probably launch there.

I see the notes on the chart, about getting thru the locks. They recommend 60' mooring lines. My boat is only 20', my lines are mostly 15'. I think I may have a couple 20'. Are 60' really necessary?

Should I be prepared to secure (I know you don't tie off) to either side of the lock (fenders and lines ready on both sides), or will they tell me which side before entering.

Any vhf etiquette when calling the lock operator?

Speed? Is it idle speed when in the canal, or can you actually cruise

Anything else I may not be thinking of?

Thanks is advance.

Gary

Rkrough

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Champlain canal, NY.

Edited

Attachments

• map7.jpg
    map7.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0

Rkrough

Seaman Apprentice

The reason for the long lines is if you were to tie off to a fixed bollard at the upper level and was descending in the lock you would need to pay out your lines as the water level dropped. In practice most everyone with small craft hand holds onto the numerous vertical cables in the lock or one of the several ladders to control their boat. you can see the cables (with buoys attached) in this photo. They are usually slimy so bring some cheap work gloves. If single handing just loop your bow and stern lines around the verticals. Bring your fenders, enough for both sides of your boat

IMAG0556.jpg

Unless you have more than 3' of draft you can follow the bouy's and just use a GPS for navigation. Don't rely too much on the charts, the floods from hurricane Irene changed the river bottom and the charts depths are not correct in some areas.

As for speed. You can cruise on the dammed sections of the river (30-45 mph) the cuts are 10 mph , The lock approaches are idle speed.

map7.gif

Lots of info on the canal website and be sure to check the "notices to mariners" section before you come.

http://www.canals.ny.gov/news/notices/index.shtml

Locks are on channel 13. Nothing too formal about hailing a lock, local practice is " Lock 2 northbound(or southbound) requesting passage" The lockmaster will respond but not always right away because they may be performing maintenance tasks. You may have up to 30 minutes wait if there is barges locking through or there is other traffic a couple miles behind you approaching the lock.
As you approach the lock you will see a traffic light, if green you are usually clear to go ahead and enter if red wait 100 yards from the lock to let other craft out.
If you have a temporary canal pass the lockmaster may ask to see it.

The best places to stop IMO on the canal are Schylerville and Whitehall. Schylerville has a free dockage and small downtown with shops and restaurants. Whitehall is a larger more interesting village.

Rkrough

Seaman Apprentice

I wanted to add that as a fall day trip the prettiest section of the Champlain Canal IMO is from Fort Edward to Whitehall (~ 24 miles one way). There is a free public ramp in Fort Edwardhttps://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.254678,+-73.588177&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89dfd3a35ad37333:0x897c2a9b591088da,%2B43%C2%B0+15'+18.50%22,+-73%C2%B0+35'+17.27%22&gl=us&ei=Iv5NUInNMoXe0QHvsIHIDQ&ved=0CCAQ8gEwAA it is 6 miles east of I-87 exit 17 , You will be near Saratoga Springs and Lake George with lots of chain motels so you can make a weekend of it if you want.

BTW this section is a "cut" so the speed limit is 10 mph.

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, appreciate the quick feedback. The reason we're starting in Troy, at least this time, my daughter goes to RPI, just up the hill from the lock., and this trip will serve double duty. I've been to http://www.canals.ny.gov/news/notices/index.shtml, lot of good info there, and you just showed me more (speed limit map). What's meant by a cut?

Next year, hope to do the full length, up to whitehall. My boat's not a sleeper, so I'll need to find a place to stay, but that's for next year.

Thanks again, Gary

Rkrough

Seaman Apprentice

Gary, "Cut" is the sections where they dug the canal across open land. The canal is much narrower and subject to erosion from boat wakes.

In Troy there is a good free ramp in North Troy across from Waterford, right at the entrance to the Champlain Canal. I have used it many times. Not a great section of town so lock up your rig and keep your valuables out of sight.

BTW You can buy a lock pass at the first Champlain lock (C-1) Federal Lock is free.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.7...=us&ei=1qZOUJ2-JMLn0QHt1IHoCA&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

518-three21-zero483 is my number if you are in the area and need assistance

Rick

Neted

Seaman Apprentice

We did this a few years back, you really need to plan your trip in advance. There are several no wake zones. Be sure to purchase equipment to make a fender board to protect your boat in the locks, you'll be happy you did.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

fathers day and vacation 064resized.jpg102_6449.jpg102_0245.jpgWhen I went up many years ago, there was only one lockmaster and you followed him from lock to lock. Thus, one or two locks was not possible. You need to double check what the scheduling is before you decide to do such a small trip. Also, when I did it, commercial traffic took precedence. I don't know if the canal is still used commercially, but if it is, you take the risk of significant waiting at the locks.

Later, when you do have time--allow 4 days to a week-- cruise the whole canal and then traverse Lake Champlain. Then at St. Jeans, enter the Chambly Canal and cruise this quaint and historic ride. Need a permit for that one too.

My trip was in--believe it or not--a brand new 1971 15 foot Glastron with a 55 horsepower engine. I cruised from Peekskill to the Eisenhower Locks, Stayed at Expo 67/ World Fair/ LeRhonde --Isle Notre Dame near Montreal, And back in two weeks. Slept on board with full canvas.

Kids took all my photos, full canvas and side glass is gone, but I still have the boat although it has a bigger engine. Ahhh, Yout! (New Yawk)

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to all that replied. Made it up to the canal Sunday 10/21. Launched at Coeyman's, headed north ~18 miles to Troy, thru the Federal lock, then up thru state locks 1 and 2. Lot of debris in the water all the way up, logs, trees, etc... Wasn't impressed by the weather channels forecast of 'mostly' sunny. Lock operators were very cordial. It was a slow day, they were probably happy to have someone to talk to. I told the op at the federal lock, it was my 1st time thru, he was happy to offer advice. The op at lock 2 told me the currents at lock 3 were real tough. Like I mentioned, I had a 2? road trip to get there and back, and had other things to do in the area, so I called it a day and headed back south. On the water for about 5 hours, maybe 50+ miles.. Only issue of the day, hit the submerged wall coming out of the marina, just a couple small burrs on the prop, but took a small chuck out of the skeg, they were 'missing' a buoy.......

Look forward to going further north next year, and maybe heading west thru the Erie.
Appreciate all the advice and suggestions, especially the gloves...

Just a few pics of the day....

Launching at Coeyman's
DSCN0198.jpg

Choppy water coming up to federal lock in Troy
DSCN0228.jpg

Entering Troy lock
DSCN0231.jpg

Leaving Troy lock
DSCN0238.jpg

"Road sign"
DSCN0239a.jpg

Expidia

Commander

Swing by a local welder and he can repair your skeg for around $50. I've had to do it twice.
I was going to post not to go through the 12 locks below Whitehall. It's one thing if you are traveling up the Hudson on through Lake Champlain and out towards Lake Ontario . . .

But for sight seeing there is nothing to see between those locks. The river is narrow and it will take you many wasted hours getting through all 12!

The smarter trip would have been to launch out of White Hall which is free and has a large parking lot and a 4 lane boat launch. You go under a bridge and you are on the same Champlain waterway when you would have finally left lock 12. Its a very nice cruise heading north on lower Champlain and the river keeps getting wider as you head North. About 10 miles from WhiteHall is Fort Ticonderoga on your left. You could also drive to this Ticonderoga launch (free NYS launch) and head North on Champlain from there. We cruise up to Burlington from the Ticonderoga launch (about 30 miles). Burlington has a great public town dock. A 4 block walk up the hill and you are in downtown Burlington which is a don't miss destination. Many outdoor cafes and shops along a 10 block closed off cobblestone street.
I'd rather do my route above than spend the day in 12 slimy dark locks.

I meant to post this trip when you first posted your question and got side tracked.

We launch out of Coeymans probably 15 times a season. We live about 20 minutes from that launch. Going South from there or saving time and launching out of Catskill (free NYS launch too, 4 lanes and huge parking lot) Nice cruise along to Kingston which has a town dock and several decent restaurants (Savonas is our favorite). Launching out of Newburgh ($10 on season) is another nice trip and a lot closer to you rather than Champlain. Newburgh also has an amazing aray of waterfront restaurants.

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll keep those spots in mind for next year.. This trip needed to be in the Troy area (RPI), to make it work... And my 'goal' this time, was just to do a couple locks to say I did it... I think the Kingston area is closer to me, so I may try that in the spring.

Do you know the launch on the east side of the river, just south of 90 in Albany? Looks like a nice ramp.

I like VT, and would like to try Champlain, but when I head that far north, I end up at Carmi, I have friends and family in that area..

Expidia

Commander

Haha, funny you mention that particular launch. We just launched at that one on Sunday. It's just south of 90 (Rensselaer) for a final cruise before I buttoned up the rig for the winter.
I work in downtown Albany. When I drove home on Friday looking across the river I could see that launch still had its ramp in.
I prefer that launch over the Albany launch because in my opinion I try and avoid inner city launches when possible. Don't want to get back and find my tires, rollers, trailer jack or spare tire gone! My small 14 foot trailer is an easy target for thieves that can easily turn them into utility trailers for jet skis or motor cycles.

Hudson on the East side and Newburgh on the West side (if you are getting back late) don't have great reputations. I'm quoting from the magazine "Boating on the Hudson" which lists all the launches on both sides of the river from NYC up to Lake Champlain and mentions some of the launches to be more alert at, especially after nightfall. Many launches are fine when they are busy, but certain ones I worry about getting back late and being the only car in the parking lot.

Newburgh's ramp is usually dirty with branches and green algae from the high tide. They charge you $10 to launch but never clean the ramp of debris.

It also has this huge Restaurant/Barge (Gully's) right along side the ramp. It's a wild and loud crowd especially on Fri and Sat eves. Bikers, Yahoos etc. Everyone is pretty tanked up by 8 or 9PM in the Summer when we are coming off the river. I don't know how the Newburgh police allow patrons of this place to drink there for hours, hop in their cars and just drive away??? I've witnessed several fights in the parking lot while putting my boat on the trailer (and I'm only there a couple of times a year).

Another time in Newburgh while cranking my boat up, I see this drunken dude walk out of the barge and hop on his friends really nice motorcycle. His friend was yelling at him to get off and the guy does a wheely and takes off and the bike and him go sliding on the bikes side down the parking lot with sparks flying off this guys chromed bike, the bikes slams into the curb and goes flying onto the grass. Like I said, this place gets rowdy! This all happened 10 feet from me and my boat on the ramp :eek:.

Funny, a brief storm cell was approaching around 3pm and I cruised quickly to the next launch south of Albany which is Bethlehem. They were predicting 50 mph wind gusts on my weather radio. I figured I'd tie up and put the enclosure up, but when I got to the launch the ramps pulled out already. But the storm moved East just North of us. The Sun came back out for the rest of the trip back.