Boating in Allentown

travbl

Seaman
Has anyone ever boated on the Lehigh River near Allentown? If so what ramp do you use. I know there is a ramp off of Daulphin St.. I saw an 18 ft cuddy in there over the weekend and was just curious about putting my 20ft bowrider in at that ramp? Also how deep does it get in that part of the river?

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating in Allentown

I don't remember the name of the street, But....Are you referring to the ramp at Kimmet's Lock?
We used to launch a couple 16 footers in there and did some skiing also.
The old railroad trestle has some junk arond the pilings and you could get into trouble getting close to the 22 bridge. I don't remember any problems running down toward the dam which is north of Hamilton st.
I think there is also a ramp somewhere down below that dam. But the only report I ever heard said it was canoe water. Shallow and lots of boulders. I never went to investigate any further.
Let us kn ow how you make out with it.:)

Re: Boating in Allentown

I haven't been in Allentown since 1999, but back then we use to jet ski alot in the Lehigh and it was not deep at all maybe 3 to 4 feet. We used to go in at Kimmet's by the railroad tressel as well. I think there is another dock down by Adam's island but not sure.