Lake Of The Woods - Rainey Lake

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice
I plan to spend the summer on these lakes - anyone have any pointers ? Suggestions on where to leave the pickup and trailer ?

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lake Of The Woods - Rainey Lake

For Rainy, you could probably leave it at the Voyaguer's National Park (VNP) Ramp or use Sportsman's or Rainy Lake Marine. Both of the latter charge for launching and parking, if I remember right.

Or if you are staying at a lodge or motel, you should be able to leave it there.

Also, you might want to travel to Kabatogama, about 25 miles south of International Falls. Great ramp at the Kab Visitor Center for VNP. There is also a state run campground that has a boat ramp right there (Woodenfrog). The campground has water, bathrooms and possibly electric. Camping in VNP requires a camping permit, which has been free and available at park visitor centers.

I would suggest having lunch or dinner at Kettle Falls Hotel, which can be reached from any ramp on Rainy or Kab. The trip from Kab is easier and shorter. Just make sure you pick up a chart for the lake(s) you will be on. These lakes have lots of reefs and rocks. Also, you will be traveling on the international border, so if you have a passport card, you want to bring it. You are not able to land in Canada without checking into Canadian customs and with US Customs when you get back.

Fishing licenses are required on all lakes, Minnesota on the US side (and required in the park) and an Ontario license if you cross over. Make sure you have GPS to stay on the US side if you don't have an Ontario license. The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources frowns on those who cross over "in error". :eek:

If you are interested, I can also give you a few points of interest here. Also check out the VNP web site for more information.

As for Lake of the Woods, sorry I cannot help you there.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. From the lack of response, I take it that there are very few folks on the lakes - just my kind of place!

mphy98

Lieutenant

Thanks for the info. From the lack of response, I take it that there are very few folks on the lakes - just my kind of place!

These are very large lakes and are fished quite often. That said there are times when you will not see anyone on the lake all day in spots. You really need to get the navonics chip for your gps as it will keep you from getting lost. It is very easy on these lakes as there are Islands galore and the shoreline juts out everywhere. It also shows the know locations of the dreaded Canadian rockfish. More than one boater has found these very expensive fish.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds similar to this mud hole I live on, except these are stumps. More than one $30K bass boat has gone bottomless on this lake !

I run 2 Garmins on the boat, a 4210 and a 498 they are independent and will have both chips for the lakes, I'll also have paper charts of the areas.

Thanks for the info.

onthelake2010

Seaman

Dave,
We have two boats on Lake of the Woods. It has over 14,000 Islands, and 65,000 Miles of shore line.

There are several Marina's on the US side and public docks for launching. Just give a call to some of these resorts.

Also, most of the lake is in Canada, and you will want to hit the many island and bays, so bring your passport. Also, some of these lodges have outposts on the islands.

Hope this helps.

On the river:
http://www.sportsmanslodges.com/
At the entrance to the lake:
http://wheelerspoint.com/
http://www.ballardsresort.com/
http://www.zippelbay.com/index.html
http://www.borderviewlodge.com/gettinghere.htm
http://www.cyrusresort.com/index.html

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am just an hour northwest of Kenora, on the Canadian side, and plan to do most of my boating on LotW. I also have friends who sail there and say parts of the lake are very busy.

Being a former Great Lakes sailor (where navigation is easy) and after seeing the complexity of Lake of the Woods, I decided the first requirement for my new/old boat was charts and a chart plotter!

Happy sailing!

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate the info. I'm studying this HARD.... Looks like one big problem will be finding pump-out facilities. I can (the boat can) go about a week then it needs a pump-out, I thought about pulling the head and replacing it with a porta-potty so I could use any shore facility, but I find Ontario doesn't allow them. Oh well, like they told me in Newfoundland - a guy has to do what a guy has to do.

onthelake2010

Seaman

I am just an hour northwest of Kenora, on the Canadian side, and plan to do most of my boating on LotW. I also have friends who sail there and say parts of the lake are very busy.

Being a former Great Lakes sailor (where navigation is easy) and after seeing the complexity of Lake of the Woods, I decided the first requirement for my new/old boat was charts and a chart plotter!

Happy sailing!

DianneB,
Do you launch at Clearwater bay end?

I was going there last year, but now we have a slip for this season.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

DianneB,
Do you launch at Clearwater bay end?

I was going there last year, but now we have a slip for this season.

I am currently in the process of trying to find a marina (preferably marina/camp ground) that has space. While I am getting my boat set up, it will be day and weekend outings but then I would like a slip for the season - don't mind paying for a slip for the whole year if I can find one.

twisterlodge

Cadet

i have family on lake of the woods, i have lived on the winnipeg river all my life. if you are looking for good fishing as part fo your summer adventure, i would strogly recomend launching and exploring round nestor falls. souix narrows, or kenora. you can get lost in all the islands so deffinatly get a good map or gps going for you !! lots of resorts and freindly places to refuel etc. if its solitude you want, go further down stream past kenora to minaki. or tetu lake! you will not see anyone for days!!!!!

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like my kind of place ! I've been talking to a guy I know from Florida that trailers his small houseboat to Sioux Narrows every year and spends the summer.

Thanks For the info, we haven't fished, but I think this summer may be the time to start - after looking at the pictures on the net.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Glen,
Looking at your photos - looks like you anchor out quiet a bit. What do you use for ground tackle ? I have a 22# Delta with 1/2" rode, and 20' of 1/4" chain.

GeoHawk

Seaman

It also shows the know locations of the dreaded Canadian rockfish. More than one boater has found these very expensive fish.

Ha - Rockfish! A buddy of mine has found several of these up there, and has JB Weld slathered all over his hull to prove it.

I've never been to Rainy Lake but my dad and I (and a few other guys) have spent a week almost every summer for the last 30 years fishing Lake of the Woods. This year is will be my 10 y.o. son's first trip and my dad's last (he's 82). We rent a houseboat out of Sioux Narrows and just enjoy the seclusion of the area. Most days we'll only see a couple of other boats and some days don't see anyone at all.

+1 for making sure you have charts or a GPS, as all 14,000 of those islands look alike, but not all of them have water deep enough to pass between in a boat (it just looks like it). :D

j_martin

Admiral

Voyagers has an excellent boat ramp and parking, and a mess of campsites, each with a pit privy, tent pad, and the essential bear box. They are accessible only by boat. You get a permit when you go in, and find a campsite. Up till now there's been no charge.

I love it there. I usually go in on a Sunday afternoon, when a lot are leaving, and find a campsite for the several days I'll stay.

On the rockfish, there's one right in the middle of the main route from Kabetagama to Kettle Falls. It's now marked, but a friend of mine had his LU sheared off by it. It's a needle in 60 feet of water. The whole lake is pretty interesting, and there are lots of rocks with strange scrape markings on them.

Maps and GPS and yer good to go. Maps and no GPS, and it could get a bit more than you want to handle, especially with a bit of fog. (ask me how I know)

No cell service there. Emergency communication is by Marine Band Radio. You should have one and monitor the emergency channel in case someone else needs help.

Kettle falls has a boat portage service around the falls, between LOTW and Namakin.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

I wondered about the marine VHF - if there were towers that could be hit, or not. Looked at the HAM repeaters, think I'll put a 2mtr radio in the boat.

Thanks.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2 mtr coverage is poor in the region. There are repeaters in International Falls and Fort Frances, Ont (across the river). I know of a few hams that bring their own rigs up and use them as ship to shore or ship to ship. Marine band emergency is monitored by the houseboat rental outfits, sheriff depts and National Park though there are areas where coverage is nonexistent. Other channels monitored are the "company" frequencies of the houseboat rentals. They will respond to a call on those channels (I don't have them handy but they are easy to get).

Verizon has reasonable coverage over a fair portion of Voyageurs, which takes in parts of Rainy, Kabatogama, Namakin and Crane Lakes.

Unless you are really off the beaten path, assistance can be found.

Also, the boat portage service j_martin mentions connects Rainy with Namakin and the lower lakes, not LOTW.

As everyone mentioned, GPS and charts are a must for any of the lakes up here, including LOTW.

Maybe we'll get a chat up this summer.

73's

Norris
N9XGZ

GeoHawk

Seaman

There is some cellular coverage on LOTW in the more open areas, but get back into a bay or inlet with the hills around you and there's nothing.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

How far north of Kenora is navigable ?

onthelake2010

Seaman

Glen,
Looking at your photos - looks like you anchor out quiet a bit. What do you use for ground tackle ? I have a 22# Delta with 1/2" rode, and 20' of 1/4" chain.

Sorry, just seen your post.
That's fine for your size of boat. We are always on the hook every outing. You will typically anchor in a bay, since there all 1000's of them and I rarely need more than 50' of rode.
As you can see from my pics, I always seem to find a calm bay, which is easy to do on LOTW even in bad weather. I've only had to beach her once for a storm and that was when we were up the Winnipeg River a ways.