Good Boating in Colorado?

Hi,<br />I'm planning a business trip out to Denver early May and would like to get in some boating/water skiing/fishing while I'm there. Never been to the area before, so have no idea what's available in the way of lakes and such. I'd love to hear stories from anyone who's been boating in Colorado and has some tips on where to go and also what the weather might be like that time of year!

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Good Boating in Colorado?

BB,<br /><br />The biggest issue right now with CO lakes is water level, almost all of which are way down, some for the first time ever. Last summer's drought and fires really goofed things up. Many do not have extended boat ramps and may be still closed if the water level does not come up. This could still be the case in May, depending on where they want to store the water. Hopefully, there is enough snow melt for everybody.<br /><br />Chatfield and Cherry Creek are popular warm(?) water lakes. They can get crowded (skiers/PWC), but should not be too bad in May. Fish early and late.<br /><br />Elevenmile (my favorite), is a great cold water lake, but needs more water for the boat ramps (unless they extend them). The water is still over 70' in places and is always closed to skiing and PWCs :p <br /><br />Lake granby is supposed to a very nice lake, but I have not been there (yet).<br /><br />Weatherwise, there should be little rain, but plan for hot,mild,cold,windy, not necessarily in that order.<br /><br />Enjoy.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boating Barbie,<br /><br />I'm no expert on Colorado, but have spent some time on lakes near Denver. Lake Granby was down 50 feet from full pool when I was there. The marina on Hwy 34 had to keep moving the floating docks to keep them in the water. The water's edge appeared to be about 3/4 of a mile from the marina building. Most of the Granby ramps I saw were designed for the water level fluctuation, including the ones at the campground. It's amazing how well they have adapted to the exaggerated water levels. I drove past the marina and on out to the water one morning to walk the docks. The crisp cold mountain air was envigorating, and I'll never forget the smell of breakfast bacon wafting from the Magma on the back of a Bayliner. <br /><br />A little farther north is Shadow Mountain Lake. It was full pool. I was told that water is pumped from Granby back up to SML to keep it's level up. We sailed on SML several days - it's quite pleasant.<br /><br />There's a town at the north end of SML where 278 branches off of 34. I think it's called Grand Lake -- they have a delightful waterfront with motels/restaurants/craft stores and I believe boat rentals.<br /><br />If you continue around you come to Grand Lake lake. It's connected to SML via a canal and while GL is much smaller, it's still worth experiencing. Plan to spend a half hour or so on the bridge over the canal just 'smelling the roses'.<br /><br />And of course after you're finished boating, you'll want to take 34 all the way to Estes Park for an unforgettable ride to the summit through Rocky Mountain National Park.<br /><br />Makes me want to get back that way...

Thanks for the tips. I can't wait to get there and check things out. <br />Take care,