Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augusta to Savannah river trip

Hi guys,
    Been thinking bout putting in and going down the Savannah river. Its a max 200 mile trip, may be an overnighter.
    No fuel available the entire way, undeveloped, alligators, hornets, wild pigs, shallow, adventure a plenty.

From what I can gather, there is a group that runs 18 to 20 foot I/O powered bowriders on fathers day weekend. At 30 - 40 mph, they sleep at the hilton in Savannah and buzz back the next day, putting in at Thunderbolt marina. At my speeds, its going to be an overnighter.

Anybody have experience in this water?

Thanks in advance.

I live in the area and know that people do occasionally do this trip. The river has been running quite low this year due to the lack of rain and I would be quite leery of blasting down the Savannah at planing speed since it meanders quite a bit and who knows what is lurking under the water. Here is a link to a blog about a guy who did the trip in a kayak a couple years ago.
    http://bit.ly/1TjlFgO. At the time he did it the river was running high. Doing the trip in a power boat would turn it from a camping trip to a glamping trip.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on water level. While the kayak sounds fun, I think that a 14 ft with a tiller steer on back will make it bearable for an old fart like me.

Comment

This trips is fabulous which provides some stunning experience which make your tour special. You can also see some fabulous animals here such as Sea lion, etc.

Comment

Pick your dates....like October or April, when the weather, bugs, water level could be better....overnighting in hot weather is not much fun. I do mine when the evenings are about 65 F and days around 85F......

Comment

Originally posted by SteveFleming View Post
            This trips is fabulous which provides some stunning experience which make your tour special. You can also see some fabulous animals here such as Sea lion, etc.
            Only sea lions you'll see are in the Georgia Aquarium......................In Atlanta.

Are you making stuff up?
            BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
            Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post

Only sea lions you'll see are in the Georgia Aquarium......................In Atlanta.

Are you making stuff up?
              No sea lions, but definitely spamatees!
              Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
              21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Esquif Vertige

Comment

Maybe he was thinking about otters???

Comment

Maybe there is another Savannah river in a cold salt environment ?
                  I don’t know if there are even manatee in the Savannah ..
                  Probably otters as Robert suggested ..
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                  '64 MFG Rebuild
                  MFG forum thread https://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...at-restoration

Comment

Like I said, July-August are not the time to do this....Yellow flies, Black flies, Mosquitoes, snakes, high heat and humidity can have a negative effect on your trip enjoyment.....

Comment

So SteveFleming got "Banned" for sighting Sea Lions? Probably best I not pass along my mermaid sightings. At any rate, this cruise has always fascinated me. I followed the river on Google Earth and sure enough there is literally nothing but wilderness. I am amazed that there is no development along the river. What gives? A shame there are not locks into Strom Thurmond reservoir above Augusta. If there were a great trip would be from Savannah to Strom Thurmond, spend a few days, dock in Augusta, rent a car back to Savannah to retrieve your truck. But, no locks, forget it.

Comment

The St. John's River is probably your best bet....310 miles of wild River, lots of wildlife, crystal clear springs for swimming and diving, etc., etc.....but again, July/August probably not the best time to go....

Comment

Working...
                        X