Great boating destinations in the southeast

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. I'm looking for a great "picturesque" place to go on a cruise in my boat and catch some fish . I've taken some trips to Charleston and always thought some of those grassy rivers would be fun or going through savannah.

I live in Florida so I know all about the Keys and Pine Island areas but I'm looking for something more remote I think.

I have a CS JVX 18. It's a flats boat so I can get many places but doesn't ride well rough.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Not remote, but Hilton Head island was beautiful when we vacationed there. We took a boat tour and it was interesting to view from the water.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Captiva and Sanibel

The ICW from Duneden down to Cape Coral

southkogs

Staff member
Also look at the Tennessee River, Center Hill Lake and Dale Hollow Lake in TN. They're not "remote" so much as they don't have much along the shore lines - there are towns and cities very close to each.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, after 2 months, we are renting a house in a Jekyll Island GA..right on the bluffs and exactly what I was looking for. I think it's where a Carolina skiff belongs :)

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you been to Welaka Fl ?
http://www.welakalodge.com/

No but I should! I live south of there down the St John's. It gets pretty windy and multiple river channels down by me. Lots of airboats but I think I could make that run. Might be fun to go from home to up there on the boat. I do have to say, the swamp waters of Florida are wearing thin on me.