Navigating very fast water with rocks.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I'm heading up a river generally only used by canoes and kayaks. 16' Valco, Johnson 60. 6 hp Yamaha kicker. It has rocks, rapids and trees. I've been studying it for years and conditions right now may be the best oportunity for 20 years. I've got a spare outboard, 3 props, PLB and a flight plan. I'm going with my lowest pitch prop. I need any quick driving tips for navigating in high current. It's doable. I just need any tips that will add confidence because it's a very remote river. 90% of it should be easy with only a hand full of fast tuff spots. Please don't discourage...

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

The boat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo238011.jpeg
    photo238011.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I can understand you wanting to do it. An adventure in life. In a worse case scenario will you be able to get help by cell phone? Will you be able to walk out to a main road? Make sure you have a good first aid kit. Being thrown out of the boat and hititng your head on a rock is not a good thing!

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I have GPS and PLB. No cell service and no easy way to hike out. Going solo with dog. Just issued flight plan. Headed out now. Wish me luck. Will post on safe return.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is your 60hp going to be enough. what is the speed of your boat? what is the speed of the water? I have been in fast moving white water in a jetski in spring on a narrow river, and the pucker factor was high

good luck

I know they take big-powered jet boats up rapids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoefOzaq3zQ

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I made it most of the way but this is a desert and what sounded like a lot of water, 800cfm was quite narrow. It was awesome thru the canyon and I got good photos. When the river spit over a rock gravel bar it got to shallow and narrow. The water was not clear at all. The best part was the launch ramp folly. I started the quest for info on the expedition portal website and wrote a trip report there. Check out the ramp and enjoy some parts of the Arizona desert you probably have never seen.

MOD EDIT: Image links aren't working right - Stumpalump is gonna' rework 'em so we can see the adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
My advice would be a punt to left field...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PLHc_I-pa0

You know you'll tear up a standard outboard... or you wouldn't be bringing a spare AND 3 spare props.

Punt? That's why the west is so nice. Not many have the stones to enjoy much more than a paved national park. Bringing a spare engine and 3 props is par for heading out into the kind of wilderness we have. There is no cell service and mountains and canyons between you or any dirt road in the next county. Every plant wants to poke you and every bug or animal wants to kill you. We have lakes that can rise 18' in 24 hours if it rains. When I headed up the tame White River (yes I lived, boated and hunted in Arkansas.. fine place!) I didn't need to ask. Here I need a PLB when I walk the dog. My daily pack has a weeks ammo and first aid to splint broken bones. Not trying to sound tuff it's just how you have to play out here or you do not go. Getting tips for situations your not well versed on like potential rapids in the boat or planning every outdoor activity in a way that allows a few unexpected nights becomes quite normal and easy. Best part is that not many do it so I can have mountains, deserts and in this case a river wilderness area all to my self. I'm going back as soon as the water flow clicks up a bit more. Jump a cheap flight to Phoenix and come with me. Seriously, I need an adventurous crew in case I get into those dang trees.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Obviously you didn't watch the video I linked...
I watched it and enjoyed it but before jet johns were invented I ran the little red from Pangburn to the dam in very low flow all the time. I'd like to go back! Took every creek I could take off of the Arkansas River. Every creek off of the White River and even got second place at the Devalls bluff flat bottom boat race. Been up past Pinacle Mountan many times. All the way to lake Maumell dam thru the cypress swamps a hundred times. Not sure why I went with a non tiller boat this time because no boat beats a tiller handle for control. Trim is instant over rocks and logs because you just push down on the tiller. The boat I use now is tolerable in the crowded wake board boat lakes we have and only tolerable in the creeks because it's non tiller. It is a bit large for one guy to drag over logs or rocks. I ran the Colorado River from Searchlight Nevada all the way to the Hover dam on thanksgiving. I luv it and yes I've busted my far share of props and lower unit cases and gears. You wanna play you gotta pay. The trick is not paying more often than you have too and in my case bringing a little 6 hp to get me home if needed. Hmmm you got me thinking. I have a spare lower unit I need to pack in the truck for when I'm miles from home.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Here are some pics. My link was not so good.

This guy that was in such a hurry he cut me off at the top of the launch. "Have at it big guy!" The launch was a log jam because the lake and ramp may see 5 boats a year. I was really surprised to see him but when he drove around me I was shocked! After a half hour of him clearing the way for his truck this is what I saw.
2s9p2xz.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I should tell him but he is doing such a fine job clearing the launch area......

2vcdxfk.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
About the time the truck was even deeper and the trailer was about to float off of the ramp and into deep water I let him know he left a transom tie on.

2aadjck.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
He pushed the huge trees out of the way and thanked me for the help. No hard feelings. I did not want to see him loose the truck or worse and I'm glad he jumped in front of me.

vzwvn7.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
This is Horshoe lake Arizona. 9 months out of the year it's nothing but desert. You can drive right across the river. Most never even know it can become a real lake on a rainy year and is why it never gets used. It's 10 miles down a bad dirt rd as well. Anyway I got thru the rats nest at the ramp and was on the water later than I wanted to be.

6ftbo4.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
You run out of lake after two miles and have to search around thru the trees and brush for a river but when you do it's really nice.

wumf02.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Trees are nothing short of an oddity in the desert and just being in them for a change was a real treat to this desert dweller. I'll spare you more pics of trees but to be honest I have a hundred of them.

2zh3vxv.jpg