How to replace small halogen bulb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace small halogen bulb

Is there some trick I'm misssing? A small cylindrical reading lamp in the cabin has a small halogen buld that needs to be replaced. It is simply a small bulb with two small metal leads. Do these lamps typically come apart somehow. or do I have to get some special tool to get a bulb back in there?

Re: How to replace small halogen bulb

Some small halogens do have just two stiff wires coming out of the back. When you replace it make sure you do not leave fingerprints on the glass as this will shorten the bulb life by creating a hotspot.

Comment

Thanks for the input rally. Yes, not touching the bulb makes this very difficult. I've attached some photos of the light in hops someone has been through this and can offer some ideas. The Admiral would like her reading light back, and I'd like to put a new bulb in without breaking the thing while making up new sw@r words.

Thanks in advance.Click image for larger version

Name:	light1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	7092425Click image for larger version

Name:	light2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	7092426

Comment

Grab it,pull/wiggle,whats the worst that can happen? It's broke anyway!
        Just use a tissue when installing the new one.
        Grub
        If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Yeah, those bayonet light bulbs generally twist to unlock, then just slide right out. if its been in there a while it might be a bit sticky. I use a towel to grab it firmly and avoid slashing my fingers if it breaks. Also, a little isopropyl alcohol will clean any human goop off the new bulb when its in and ensure the bulbs longevity.

1994 Larson Cabrio 280 | 7.4 liter Bravo-III | Green Bay, WI

Comment

don't worry about touching it with your bare fingers. After installing take a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe it off.
            Assault Squadron NINE
            River Assault Division NINETY-ONE-1966

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have the old one out, getting the new one in is the problem - whether I touch the bulb or not. What I was wondering is if something comes apart, or of there's some other trick. All ideas appreciated.

Maybe I should just replace the lamps. If they're replaced with lamps that use LED, does anything have to change with the wiring?

Comment

Maybe a pic of the bulb?

Comment

Originally posted by garbageguy View Post
                  Thanks for the responses. I have the old one out, getting the new one in is the problem - whether I touch the bulb or not. What I was wondering is if something comes apart, or of there's some other trick. All ideas appreciated.
                  The hood may be removeable.

Maybe I should just replace the lamps. If they're replaced with lamps that use LED, does anything have to change with the wiring?
                  No, as long as they are 12 volt lamps.
                  Bob, Seneca Lake NY
                  '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                  '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
                  Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                  Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Originally posted by Wind dog View Post
                    Maybe a pic of the bulb?
                    Will be nice tonight, not many left, so I'll get a pic when I go to the boat after work.

Comment

Working...
                    X