Canoe with Trolling Motor - Power Requirements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canoe with Trolling Motor - Power Requirements

I have a 16' Kevlar canoe to which I have just outfitted with a MinnKota RipTide 50 trolling motor (5 speed). My initial tests were done with a 12VDC 50amp-hr gel cell battery. Here are the measurements of power consumption at various speeds:

Setting #1: 1.4 MPH, 6.3 amps, 12.000 VDC, 77 watts

Setting #2: 1.8 MPH, 7.5 amps, 11.85 VDC, 89 watts

Setting #3: 2.5 MPH, 12.9 amps, 11.51 VDC, 150 watts

Setting #4: 3.0 MPH, 15.2 amps, 11.53 VDC, 175 watts

Setting #5: 4.3 MPH, 30.5 amps, ? , 325 watts

My impressions: Setting #4 gives a nice cruise speed, while Setting #3 seemed a little pokey. Setting #5 is snappy, but look at the battery consumption!

Be aware that the so-called amp-hour rating of deep cycle batteries is based on drawing only one twentieth of the AH rating per hour. As the current draw increases, the AH rating goes down. Plan on using no more than 60% of the AH rating or the battery life will be shortened. For example, given the above figures, I can only plan on running for 3 hours at Setting #3 or 2.5 hours for Setting #4.

Incidentally, the 50AH battery weighs 36 lbs. That's about as much as I can lift into the canoe with one arm. So if I want to double my time on the water, I need to add a second 50AH battery.

Note: electrical consumption measured using an in-line power meter. Speeds using a Garmin GPS.

Re: Canoe with Trolling Motor - Power Requirements

soooooo your question is????
    Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
    But, where are the reevets?
    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
    sigpic

Comment

I think the OP wants to know how much fuel to leave in the tank during storage, and snake oil or not.
      1987 16Ft F/S Yar-Craft
      1987, 90HP Johnson/ (3) 1971-1972, 7.5HP Merc/ 1991, 4HP Mariner/1985, 2.2HP Merc (new never started)

Comment

I'm surprised it only draws 30amps at it's highest setting.I was thinking it would be closer to 50,with that size motor.
        I'm not sure what the question is either but before putting 2 batteries in the canoe,I'd just buy one bigger aH battery.

Comment

Welcome to iboats!

Interesting numbers. Speed #4 is clearly the sweet spot for this motor. What method of speed control does it use (too lazy to look it up myself)?
          Bob, Seneca Lake NY
          '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
          '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
          Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
          Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Working...
          X