Elk Lake to Torch lake via Torch river in Northern, MI

bbgun24

Seaman
Hello All,

For anybody out there familiar with the chain lakes in Northern Michigan, I'm wanting to take the boat out on Torch lake this weekend and it would be much easier if I could just put in on Elk lake and cruise up Torch river. I'm wondering if anybody knows how big of a boat can go through the torch river? or how deep the river is? I was looking at google maps and it appears to get pretty thin/shallow on the South side near Lake Skeemoog. Thanks in advance.

Bbgun

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Elk Lake to Torch lake via Torch river in Northern, MI

We were there last September, and went from Torch Lake, through the river, into Skegemog and then to Elk Lake, and back again. There were several 23 foot boats that did it. You can make it, just stay in the middle of the river, follow the feeble markers, watch where you go and your depth gauge as you move along. It shows depth of 3 feet in some spots, but we never hit bottom at all in our 20 foot boat. Just be careful of the stumps as you get into the river from Skegemog. As well as the narrows area from Elk to Skegemog.
map.gif

We will be at a cottage on Torch Lake this August for a week, can't wait.

bbgun24

Seaman

Thanks Slip, that's exactly what I was looking for. I found the map online as well but needed to here it from someone that has actually been through there. I appreciate the advice.

Bbgun

bbgun24

Seaman

Slip, do you remember about how long it took you to get from Skegemog to Torch Lake?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

It took us about 20 minutes. maybe longer if there is traffic like there will be this weekend. Enjoy the sand bar !!

fourth%20of%20july.jpg

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It took us about 20 minutes. maybe longer if there is traffic like there will be this weekend. Enjoy the sand bar !!

fourth%20of%20july.jpg

Yikes! I can't even imaging boating with that much of a crowd!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The real danger would be on Skegemog lake as you leave Elk lake heading to Torch and returning, the river should be plenty deep, it's crystal clear too.. The stump fields are prop bumpers for sure, but as stated if you stay in the channel you will be fine. I think 20 minutes is kind of short, I would plan on 30-60 minutes depending on traffic, which is always busy on the weekends. It's a great place to go, enjoy!!

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Greenbush is correct. Busier this time of year on weekends. We went after Labor Day, and we were the only boat at that sand bar all afternoon.
Here is a pic of our boat that day on the sand bar.

406634833.jpg

bbgun24

Seaman

Wow! That is a lot of boats. I have heard the sandbar gets busy but that is just crazy. I guess I will see how busy it really is tomorrow as I think were going to put in on Elk and try the river. Thanks for the tips!