1990 Bayliner Capri Bimini top

dleague

Cadet
Ok, a bit aggravated dealing with this topic. But figured this was the best place to turn for information. This site has been helpful in the past and enjoy the help everyone gives.

I have a 1990 bayliner capri 1850 bowrider. Im looking to install a bimini top on this thing. The boat already has mounting points inside the side windows. I bought a bimini top based on those mounting points as my width. Well needless to say it wouldnt fit because the windows are slanted in. I couldnt mount it to the window frame either because the frame is narrow and not enough to even put the bracket on. So I tried to move it to the outside the window only to realize when i laid it down that it wouldnt go all the way down. Im assuming this is because of the taper along the sides of the boat. So I had to return the bimini top and now am searching for a new replacement one. I considered (still am) going with the next larger size on the width and hoping that will allow me to lay this down. The size im looking at is 79-84 width and 46 tall 3 bow. My question is does anybody even know how they installed an original one with the windows slanted inwards? Or does anybody know of what size I should be looking at getting? I dont have alot of money to spend but just want something that will last a few years. Any help would be great!:confused:

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 Bayliner Capri Bimini top

I dont know for sure. Do you need to lay it down? When I lay mine down on my 1990 bayliner CC it either rests on the outboard and takes up room or blocks the front deck. I can leave upright and close the canopy so it looks similar to a rollbar on a truck.

dleague

Cadet

I dont necessarily need to lay it down. But then I would have to buy the support bars for it to stay upright then correct? How is yours mounted on your 1990?

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

This is on my 1990 1700 capri.
069-1.jpg

It will go forward and lay on the windshield but I normaly pull the rear pins and it lays on the back seats. I can get better pics tomorrow if needed.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah....theo mounting points were inside the windsheild frame......the ones on the frame its self were just tie downs for the top

dleague

Cadet

Nice pic blky2k. Is your windows slanted inwards as well? If so did you get your bimini top at? Or do you know what width you used?

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Yeh my windows slant in also. Mine is the oem one that came with the boat. The uprights are bent to pass the windows. The mounts are 64" in the front and 62" in the back. heres a pic to show the uprights. Sorry I didnt get back sooner but spent the day yesterday on the water.

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

lostsatellites

Recruit

I just picked up the exact same boat and was wondering where you got the bimini top? Do you have any picks of it opened up? Thanks and best!

dleague

Cadet

I wound up getting a boat cover online from safe guard covers on Ebay. Only cost me 130 with shipping. Go with the 79-84 width. the 73-78 wont fit. I also mounted mine on the outside of the windows right on that small lip. Worked out nice and was well worth the investment. You might be able to find an OEM one somewhere online though.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I just picked up the exact same boat and was wondering where you got the bimini top? Do you have any picks of it opened up? Thanks and best!
I dont have any on this computer but I think we are going to go out tomorrow, I snap a couple and post them up. The cover is oem I believe so it came from bayliner.

hi all
Blky2k, could you please post some pic of your bimini top open please. Im trying to fix mine and need something to go with.
Thanks in advance