89 Bass Tracker 1800FS repair thread

acarroll89

Cadet
Re: 89 Bass Tracker 1800FS repair thread

Got to do a little fishing yesterday. Everything is working decent. My water pressure gauge needs to be replaced. Its reading all over the place, fuel gauge needs replacing and depth finder needs replacing. I've got my variable speed switch to go in the foot pedal of the trolling motor that still needs to go in. May go down tomorrow to replace that and wash and start buffing again. My uncle also brought his out; its an 89 tracker 1700ft I believe (dont quote me on that) and he just replaced the whole floor and seats on his. Its black and desperately needs buffing as well. If I go down Ill try and get a few before and after pics of his as well.

Brought a buddy fishing and he got skunked but my uncle caught 3 bass and I caught 2. I think I had the biggest one and it was around 3lbs. Started to rain so we came in

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hey, as long as you're buffing everyone elses' boats my toons are looking pretty shabby..........:p

acarroll89

Cadet

Haha i'm down in Central Florida, if you wanna bring it, come on down. I do charge though haha. My uncle gets the family discount haha. Course its hard to do any work on them when its storming out.. O well lol

acarroll89

Cadet

Not a whole lot to report on fixing things, school started back up and I started a 2nd job. We did go out fishing on friday, got a late start as my Dad needed help moving our hobie cat out from under a tree thats about to fall. Gonna try to restore that one as well soon. It needs 100x the work..

Didnt catch anything fishing but did run into a whole family of manatees. Thought we'd troll over into the weeds to fish on what looked like shallow spots, but those spots started moving lol. There was 7 or 8 of them swimming around, pretty cool to see.

Still havent gotten a chance to buff my uncles or finish my boat, but we're gonna try and change the spark plugs in mine. Also trying to figure out why when you turn my boat likes to start skipping across the water. Could be my inexperience of driving the thing but I cant say for sure.

Heres some pics of the manatees

f7761744.jpg

6e7c459c.jpg

acarroll89

Cadet

It sucks havin no time to work on the boat, but at least its getting some use. Goin out friday morning real early to try and actually catch some fish.

Just pulled the other boat around in the driveway today to start seeing if it can be fixed. The fiberglass is mushy in 1 spot on the pontoon so if that cant be fixed, idk what we're gonna do. Hoping to have my pressure washer back in the next day or so and then it'll be time to make this sucker look pretty.

022fc3e0.jpg

I still need my depth finder to work on the bass boat, does anybody know where they typically mounted the sensor or whatever they use that tells ya the depth of the water? My uncles is on the transom but theres nothing there on mine

acarroll89

Cadet

What would cause my motor to run fine and after about an hour of not running to not start/idle? Took her out this morning and she ran great till we got to our fishing spot and tilted the motor up out of the water while we fished for about an hour and after only catching 1 baby gar I put the motor back in the water and it wouldnt start. I held the idle control thing all the way up and cranked and it would fire up and run but it was only on 5 or 4 cylinders, soon as id put it back down to put it in gear the motor would die. Started it again with the idle high and slammed that down and threw it into gear super fast and it almost died but stayed running and I headed back for the ramp at maybe 8mph. If I tried to open the throttle more it would almost die.
Got back to my uncles and fired it in his driveway and it did the same thing so we pulled all the plugs. The 3 on the right side were dry and looked perfectly fine but the left side plugs were soaked in oil/gas. Ran up to the store and got new ones since idk when the last time they were changed was. Put them in and the boat fired right up but still sounds like its missing at idle. Any ideas why 1 head would be flooded and the other not? Something in the carb go bad or the ignition to that side take a dump?

acarroll89

Cadet

Update on whats wrong with the motor. Tried to put it in the water today to see how it would run with new plugs. It was doing the same crap and wouldnt idle. Sounded like it was missing again so I pulled it back out. Got to my uncles and pulled plugs again and 1 bank was wet and the other dry. Pulled all the plugs on the dry side and the motor fired and sounded the same. Plugged the other side in and unplugged the left 3 and the motor wouldnt fire. Pulled 1 plug wire to see if it would spark and nothing. Tried the other side and it would spark. So the motor is getting fuel and spark on the left but not the right. Opposite of what I said in the previous post. Ideas?

acarroll89

Cadet

figured out the problem. My uncle and his friend were looking at it this morning and its the ignition module/ switch that controls cylinders 1 3 and 5. Fuel is getting sprayed into those cylinders. Unfortunately theres 2 modules and the one thats bad is on the bottom which a million wires running to it. He's suppose to call me back with the part number so I can go find it. Supposedly they're like 150/200 bucks on ebay for a used one.

I'm glad its not a fuel issue too.

acarroll89

Cadet

Swapped the new ignition module thing in. Took all of 6 min thankfully. Boat fired right up and idled fine. Tossed her in the water and ran up and down the river for about 2 hours and she didnt skip a beat

acarroll89

Cadet

So boat is dead again. Carb float is full of gas and its just pouring gas out of the middle carb. Went to get a new one and that float I need isnt made anymore... wtf? Place happened to have a used one thats almost identical to the bad float so it SHOULD work. I'll find out tomorrow. So what do I do when other floats go bad? Owner of the marine place said just find another motor.. Its to the point where i'm gonna be putting more money into this boat than its worth..