My $17 Harbor Freight Tarp/Boat Cover

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My $17 Harbor Freight Tarp/Boat Cover

Ben,
Sorry to see the mess your tarp made. Mine start flaking off at the end of their lives too, but I have never had any staining issues. Where did you buy yours?

Good idea with the vents nlain

I'm certain they were from Home Depot. This can occur with all PVC tarps. However, my boat sat under the hot Georgia sun which I'm sure exacerbates this process.

Ben

SDSeville

Lieutenant

However, my boat sat under the hot Georgia sun which I'm sure exacerbates this process.

Ben

I guess I might not be a very good example then. It is between 60 and 80 here year round. I didn't think of what some heat might do to it.

nlain

Commander

I have to agree that the hot Ga sun does do a number on the blue tarps, I think that is what makes them just start to fall apart. Where mine sets it gets a good portion of the days sun.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My neighbors would kill me if I put a blue tarp on my boat.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

My house and fence are grey, so I got the silver tarp. From the street, you can't even see the boat behind the fence.

nlain

Commander

I very rarely have neighbors next door, they show occasionally, spend a day or two and go away, the one on the West side does not care and the one on the East side cannot see it, and as long as the truck is parked in front of it you really cannot see it from the street.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I really buy the silver ones because they are a little thicker for only a couple dollars more. It shouldn't matter what color it is really (unless you have a homeowners association that objects). I see lots of blue and red boat covers out there.

nlain

Commander

The one I have now is silver on one side and blue on the other, I turned the silver side up to see if it last longer that way.

I guess I totally screwed that up, fixed now.:D

NYBo

Admiral

The one I have now is blue on one side and blue on the other, I turned the silver side up to see if it last longer that way.
That's quite a trick!:eek:

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Did you buy the heavy duty silver ones? Mine is still holding up great. The prior one lasted about a year.