Bayliner vs. Other brands for first boat

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bayliner vs. Other brands for first boat

maintenance is the key to any boat, and i think once you start looking at old boats. Unless a particular model had known defects or issues.. the brand is hardly worth mentioning unless two boats are of 'equal condition'.
design.

Maintenance is only skin-deep. A 10 year old Rolls Royce with a dented fender may look neglected but is still a better designed and better built vehicle than a new Kia would ever be. You put a new fender on the Rolls and you have a Rolls. There is nothing you can do to bring the Kia up to the level of the Rolls Royce. Why, because the root value lays in the design and build quality. The condtions can be restored, The design and build quality can not.

As for known defects and issues. Storage areas that leak and do not drain properly are a problem. Cheap, chrome plated zinc hardware and railing are a problem. Fuel tanks with limited or no access to repair are a problem. Using non-tinned wire on a boat is a problem. Hulls without a proper drainage system below deck is a problem. Stringers that are not fully encapsulated are a problem. The undersides of floors that are not fully encapsulated are responsible for most of the rotted out floors. Knowing this, would you buy Boat ?A? that appears to have been ?better maintained? than Boat ?B? but..the underside of the deck on Boat A is unprotected from moisture and underside of boat B is fully protected?

I could go on and on about major design discrepancies. There are a lot of brands that are notorious for these types of problems. Yet, people still recommend buying the best outward appearance instead of advising them to educate themselves on the bit falls of the various brands of boat. There is some real cr***** out there. Do your home work before you buy.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Maintenance is only skin-deep. A 10 year old Rolls Royce with a dented fender may look neglected but is still a better designed and better built vehicle than a new Kia would ever be. You put a new fender on the Rolls and you have a Rolls. There is nothing you can do to bring the Kia up to the level of the Rolls Royce. Why, because the root value lays in the design and build quality. The condtions can be restored, The design and build quality can not.

I beg to differ...

Interesting analogy, but you left out quite a bit of it... We aren't talking cosmetic stuff here, as your analogy used. We are talking core functionality, things that affect your safety. The kia has had impeccable maintenance. The rolls has never had oil changed, EVER. The contents of its oil pan resemble hot road asphalt. Its amazing it can smoke as much as it does, considering there is barely any of that sludge left. But don't worry, the engine might outlast the tires. Those cords sticking out aren't there to add traction.

Which vehicle would you trust for a 2000 mile road trip? Yes, the value of the rolling chassis rolls might be more than the kia, but it has zero to do with the quality of it. If you really want to see true value, imagine yourself in the worst case scenario, life and death type stuff, because your transportation died from lack of maintenance. Pretty sure the rolls guy would trade even-up for a running kia!

When push comes to shove, the only thing that matters is that the boat floats, and the engine runs. MAINTENANCE is the only factor that will affect either one of those, not the name on the sticker. This is even more true because most boats generally use the same powertrain. The bottom of the barrel bayliner is going to use the same mercruiser the most expensive production boat you can find has under its hatch. Both boats leave the factory with a) a hull that floats, and b) an engine that runs. Whatever happens after that is 100% maintenance driven.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

When push comes to shove, the only thing that matters is that the boat floats, and the engine runs. MAINTENANCE is the only factor that will affect either one of those, not the name on the sticker. This is even more true because most boats generally use the same powertrain. The bottom of the barrel bayliner is going to use the same mercruiser the most expensive production boat you can find has under its hatch. Both boats leave the factory with a) a hull that floats, and b) an engine that runs. Whatever happens after that is 100% maintenance driven.

There are a lot of boats out there that from a design and build quality perspective are pieces of junk.

How do you maintain a stringer that was not attached to the hull properly and broke loose? How do you maintain a ski locker that does not drain properly? What about the boat you have to keeping it in a garage or undercover 24/7 so the floors do not rot? Is that maintenance or adjusting to a shortcoming of the build quality?

Eventually people are going to realize that a large percentage of the so-called maintenance items are caused by the shortcomings of the builder or the result of cost cutting to hit a price point.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for. ;)

retiarius

Cadet

Guys,
I purchased a 2001 Maxum which is a speced up bayliner, I looked at a number of other boats prior to choosing this one. I chose because I looked at all of the factors involved in the boat: It suited my purposes, it was clean, solid, had a maintainance history, the engine was strong without smoking and banging and I looked under the floor and found it to be clean. Brand can be considered but should not be an over riding factor. I chose the better specifications because of the steel and alloy involved rather than plastic.
At the end of the day you choose because you think you can use the boat and it appeals to your sence of adventure, how well you choose determines how much fun you will have and how much money you will have to outlay later.

oldjeep

Admiral

design.

LOL - having owned 4 kias I'd take the Kia over the Rolls any day if my intention was a trouble free drive.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea those crappy KIA`S 170k and still going strong ....lol:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well, I picked up a 1995 Dynasty today and took it to the lake.

While it's fun to rehash the Bayliner argument for the zillionth time, the OP has bought a boat.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the purchase. Only you know what you really want and good for you. As stated before get that alt checked, get a second battery with switch, maybe an onboard charger for home. You have already been towed so your learning the ropes. Check if towboatUS is in your area, very cheap vise investment. Invest in a good ship to shore. ADD IBOATS TO YOUR FAVORITES is a must and most of all get out there and enjoy. Happy, safe boating.

Oh yeah pics.

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive not been around long. I did loads of research and looking when I found my boat. I love it. Save for some fouling on the hull it is in Great shape. My 1988 Invader is SOLID runs great and satisfies my desires for my first family boat.

I too was subjected to the Bayliner vs all other brands debate that continually rears its ugly head. The horse is DEAD. Just one question however, WOuld you take a brand new fully tricked out 21 foot Bayliner or would you take the well maintained 22 year old 21 foot fully tricked out Cobalt. Both boats NEW do not compare. Price points are there for a reason. Bayliner has done a great job of getting people into boats that otherwise would not have been able to own a new boat or any boat at all.

Not everyone needs or even wants all the bells and whistles. Most can't afford then anyhow. we all just want a boat that is in good shape runs well and is reliable that we can AFFORD.

Congrats on your new to you boat. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Watch out for those logs in the channel. They will rise up and bite your PROP. Have fun and enjoy it. Take care of it and you'll be enjoying it for many years to come when you get ready to upgrade or replace it the next proud owner will know that he / she has a well maintained affordable reliable boat that they too can enjoy for years.

There are many boats out there that have fallen into neglect and have many issues. Mine was one that did not. The original owner took great care of her.

Happy boating. Don't forget the sunscreen and be safe. Most of all HAVE FUN. Congratulations again. Remember when you cant get her out on the water there is nothing wrong with playing driveway captain and have a few cold ones while doing your maintenance and dreaming about getting her out on the water again. I do it all the time. The neighbours look at me a little bit funny but I don't care. They all just wish they could be like me.

MacPointMan

mtmetzger

Cadet

...Remember when you cant get her out on the water there is nothing wrong with playing driveway captain and have a few cold ones while doing your maintenance and dreaming about getting her out on the water again. I do it all the time. The neighbours look at me a little bit funny but I don't care. They all just wish they could be like me.

MacPointMan

LOL! I'll admit it.. I did a little garage cruising on Thursday but the neighbors couldn't see me. I pulled the alternator off and it's at a local shop being rebuilt. I'll start a "check out my new boat" thread after I get some decent pictures of it. For now all I have are a couple cell phone pictures of the graphics on the side, which I started removing. I've got a sticker guy and I'll have him make a smaller, more tasteful one that just says Dynasty in cursive and place it under the vents in the rear.

b5fd354f.jpg

174f205e.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow nice! I was expecting something more dated looking. Congrats!

NewSchoolMedic

Recruit
Any other threads about this topic?

Any other threads about this topic?

Can someone post links to the Bayliner reputation arguments in the forum? I'm buying my first boat and I am looking at a 1999 Bayliner Capri 19' Cuddy and everyone is telling me the same old Bayliner rumors. If someone can post a thread where it has been discussed previously I would appreciate it. I'm new to the boating world and don't want to beat a dead horse by asking the same questions. Thanks!

NYBo

Admiral

Looks good!

Those compression numbers are on the low end of acceptable. The motor may be getting tired. Or maybe the low battery prevented a proper test.

BonairII

Commander

LOL! I'll admit it.. I did a little garage cruising on Thursday but the neighbors couldn't see me.

I'll bet you made engine noises too while you were "cruising". :p:D

mtmetzger

Cadet

Completely off topic now, but I wanted to give you guys that requested pics a small update. After almost a year, I finally have pics of the Dynasty that are worth showing off! I just made a thread about my reupholster project here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=559875

photo.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I followed the thread in your link. Wow- NICE JOB!

Can I ask where you purchased the upholstery material and foam? Never thought that job could be done with a 'home' sewing machine- and I could probably get one for the asking.

mtmetzger

Cadet

I followed the thread in your link. Wow- NICE JOB!

Can I ask where you purchased the upholstery material and foam? Never thought that job could be done with a 'home' sewing machine- and I could probably get one for the asking.

Thanks! I'll copy this reply over to the upholstery thread in the link in an attempt to let this thread die, or get back on the topic of Bayliner Vs everything else. :) Hope you don't mind me moving the discussion back to that thread.