No announcement yet.

Interlux Brightsides paint and colors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlux Brightsides paint and colors?

I have decided to go ahead and paint the top stripe on my boat. The white hull, grey part of the hullsides, and blue/grey stripes all clean up well, but the blue above the rub rail is just dull and lifeless. I wet sanded and buffed and got a bit of sheen back, but after the boat being used and in the water it's back to square one.

So knowing that a quart of Interlux and a day of prep and painting should make the boat look a lot better, I decided to go ahead and do it.

My problem is, choosing a color. I thought I decided on Largo Blue. I did a quick image search and only a small sample of the actual color on boats/cars came up and it didn't look good to me. Too light/bright. My next choice would be Ocean Blue, although that is also a color that might be too light/bright.

Does anyone have any photos of the interlux Blue paints on their boats, out on the water?

Photo of the color choices:

Photo of the boat and blue area in question:
    Old Boats: 1987 29' Cruisers Inc 297 Elegante. T/270 Crusaders. (SOLD)
    1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen:https://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...vy-534493.html
    Current Boat: 1985 Regal 255XL. 260 Mercruiser.

Re: Interlux Brightsides paint and colors?

Blues suffer the worst from UV rays. I'm not sure what you mean by "light/bright" , but I went through a similar problem with color. I was using perfection and found that you can mix colors from the same group( perfection/perfection, brightsides/brightsides) and come up with any color you can dream of.

Comment

Color will be a personal choice (I like the darker blues), but I will say that you could give the wet sanding another shot on your blue. The white and gray don't show/need that shine but the blue will need more. Buffing compound actually leaves an almost wax like finish/shine that makes you think you sanded/buffed enough. So I'd perhaps give it another round of wet sanding and buffing to see what you can get out of it.
      1988 Maxum 2000SR
      Mercruiser 3.0
      Alpha 1 s/n: 6415065

Comment

Light/bright means instead of a nice medium blue, similar to whats on there only shiny, it is almost a bright blue, which I'm not fond of.

As far as mixing and matching to get the right color, that is an option, but I think it will be easier and more straight forward to grab an off the shelf color thats close enough, and be happy with it.

As far as wet sanding and buffing again, it's an option. It just seems to not hold up. It last a few rain storms and looks lifeless again.

Blue is not my first choice, but the boats color combo is blue, and I plan to stick with it. Hopefully someone has some different blue colors to post photos of!
        1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen:https://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...vy-534493.html

Comment

Check 'em out:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...boats-3.html#b
          Southern, NJ, USA

Currently Boatless
          Date an I/O, but marry an outboard!

Comment

Have you thought about trying vinyl? I'm considering covering my bootstripe in vinyl. The dark gelcoat just takes a lot of abuse.
            DSiekman
            2000 Cobalt 293 Twin Volvo 5.0 Gi DP - Sold
            1978 (or 79?) Hydra-Sports 21' CC with 2001 200 xl

Comment

#4316 dark blue on the boat and it's 12 years old.
              Attached Files
              1946 Gar Wood
              1949 Gar Form
              1974 Century Arabian
              1978 Chrysler Mutineer
              1991 Kawasaki Jet Mate

Comment

I have not thought about vinyl.

Thanks for the link on THT. I'm having a look through it now.

Comment

Hi there, check out my restoration thread when I restored my Larson cruiser. This is actually an epifanes epoxy color, but seems similar to Largo Blue.

There are some before and after pictures, I think it turned out nicely.

best of luck
                  Rob

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364340

[IMG][/IMG]

I used epifanes two part polyurethane, very similar to Interlux perfection. Great shine and very smooth, applied using the roll and tip method.
                  Last edited by robthompson66; July 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM. Reason: insert pic

Comment

Mustang,

Brightsides is good paint but the single part paints do not hold up very well. Interlux Perfection will last several times longer and for the areas you want to paint shouldn't be too much more difficult to handle. Here is a shot of my restored boat with Interlux Perfection: Mediterranian White and Lauderdale Blue.

The shine is unbelievable! Keep us posted on what you decide and good luck.
                    1992 35' Carver Aft-Cabin Motoryacht
                    1972 23' Slickcraft SS-235 Hardtop
                    1977 17' Cruise Boats (Restored)
                    https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=469925

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not 100% dead set on the Interlux, it just seemed to get good reviews and was readily available. If a two part lasts longer, I may want to go with that.

Boats look great guys, but I'm looking for more of a medium navy blue, if that makes sense.

Comment

So I decided it needed to be painted and went with the Brightsides. I was stuck with only one or two Blue colors in stock. I ended up with Sapphire Blue. Taped her off, scuffed, prepped and rolled and tipped it on. The color is FAR from what I wanted. Not sure if I like it or hate it. It might grow on me, might not.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Comment

Tang,

Looks like you did a nice job appying it. How did it turn out finish wise? A little tough to see from you pics. My opinion means nothing here, however I am not found of the color. Something about it doesn't match the boat somehow. I can't put my finger on it. Sorry, I didn't want to bum you out.
                          1992 35' Carver Aft-Cabin Motoryacht
                          1972 23' Slickcraft SS-235 Hardtop
                          1977 17' Cruise Boats (Restored)
                          https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=469925

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	7003475Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0335.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	7003476I found his book helpful, only 1 penny at west marine, the color swabs(?) Are finished, and it shows the true colors, might be worth checking out...

Comment

Working...
                            X