1940(something) 12' Starcraft Magnesium Semi V-Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGrisham

Cadet
0614110300a.jpgboat1.jpgmotor.jpgboat2.jpg

This boat was givin to me and I have found little information on it. 1940's sound right? The only identification I've found besides the "Starcraft Metal Boats of Distinction Goshen Indiana" name plate was stamped "MFG-126" or "MFG-12G" #so it appears# in the wood just beneath that name plate. The oars and the little metal pivot doo-hickeys are original. It has an Evinrude motor that purrs like a cat. I think the last time it touched water was when Noah used it to get away from the animals time to time. I would appreciate any information I could get on this boat. I'd like any suggestions as to what to do with it too. Rivets are tight and no leakage. A test confirms magnesium construction.
Thanks for your time! Grisham:cool:

45Auto

Commander
Re: 1940(something) 12' Starcraft Magnesium Semi V-Hull

Is this thing any good?

Does it float?

If so, use it as you would any other 12' boat.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What are you going to do with it? Attack the NWSC? Looks like a good boat. Remember a hamburger joint in Martinez named dees or somthing, still open?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Doubt that Starcraft is made of magnesium. They only made aluminum boats as far as I know of. Which test for magnesium were you referring to?
It's a good boat.

robert graham

Admiral

That's a beautiful old boat and I would expect it's got "collector value", keep it and use it. Some of the Starcraft guys on here may be trying to buy it from you! Real nice boat!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Your boat is a Starcraft from the mid-50's--and it's made out of aluminum. My uncle had one with a 1956 Johnson 18 hp engine--and my cousin still has it.

There is little collector demand with this boat. In fact, these boats are all over our lake--even today.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice little Starcraft. Not sure it's as old as the 40's but it may very well be from the 50's as the logo and construction of it differs from all of the 60's Starcrafts we've seen on this site. That Evinrude is from the late 60's-70's. The boat should move pretty nicely with a 6HP and may plane with a very light load. We have a 14' with only a 4HP and while it obviously doesn't plane, it still moves us around quite nicely.

DGrisham

Cadet

Tex, if it wasn't for this boat I would agree. I did a burn test from shavings obtained at the floor panel seam. I've been an Iron Worker for 24 years and I'm convinced the panels are magnesium. I could post a small video of the test to see if everyone concurs. I could inconspicuously test the other components too. This can be a lot of fun. One thing I do know is this boat is proving to be very mysterious. The only thing I've found close is a 1940's brochure from Dowcraft shortly before being bought out by Starcraft (so the forums say...) I'll try to get the burn videos posted today.
my boat.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to iboats DGrisham, nice score there.:)

I had no idea that Dow manfactured boats back in the day, that's some interesting history.

There was a guy on this site that had a galvanized steel Starcraft a while back, most are aluminum.

The pre-war boats almost all got scrapped for WWII, so it's extremely rare to find one. I agree that one seems to be early 50s or late 40s.

Call Starcraft, they might be interested in helping you ID the ull if it is that old.

DGrisham

Cadet

Your wrong. I tested the metal. MAGNESIUM. NOT ALUMINUM. Realy, I have already established this fact
Your boat is a Starcraft from the mid-50's--and it's made out of aluminum. My uncle had one with a 1956 Johnson 18 hp engine--and my cousin still has it.

There is little collector demand with this boat. In fact, these boats are all over our lake--even today.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can dissolve some copper sulfate in water and put in in a small spot on the metal. Aluminum will do nothing magnesium will turn black and bubble. Copper sulfate is used for cleaning roots out of sewer drains and is found at any hardware store.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a cool little boat. I'd run around some of the smaller bodies of water here and bas fish out of it. Maybe even fit it for some of our electric only lakes.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats DGrisham, nice score there.:)

I had no idea that Dow manfactured boats back in the day, that's some interesting history.

There was a guy on this site that had a galvanized steel Starcraft a while back, most are aluminum.

The pre-war boats almost all got scrapped for WWII, so it's extremely rare to find one. I agree that one seems to be early 50s or late 40s.

Call Starcraft, they might be interested in helping you ID the ull if it is that old.

Dow was/is a major player in magnesium production.
The "Dowcraft" boat venture was no doubt a way to get magnesium into the boat market.
The OP's boat could be one of the earliest after Starcraft bought the Dowcraft line.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Most aluminum alloys for boats (like 5086) have like 3-5% magnesium in them.
Anyway, looks like a cool project.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

You can dissolve some copper sulfate in water and put in in a small spot on the metal. Aluminum will do nothing magnesium will turn black and bubble. Copper sulfate is used for cleaning roots out of sewer drains and is found at any hardware store.

Link to this chemical test to differentiate Al and Mg?

To the OP: AFAIK a burn test will show white light for either Al or Mg, so I'm curious what you think that's telling you?

DGrisham

Cadet
Thanks! I'm off to to the store now!

I did come accross it! Thanks.
Okay, so how many have now googled 'magnesium boats'. It was sure a new one on me. Must make a helluva good anode in salt water :)

DGrisham, you probably saw this but it's a good read:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=826

AJGRAZ, My magnesium shavings burned with a pocket lighter leaving ash. Aluminum would take that heat all day long.

Link to this chemical test to differentiate Al and Mg?

To the OP: AFAIK a burn test will show white light for either Al or Mg, so I'm curious what you think that's telling you?

DGrisham

Cadet

BURN TEST - small sample taken from back panel upper corner behind wood.

Attachments

• DSC00105.jpg
    DSC00105.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00100.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00098.jpg
    DSC00098.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00104.jpg
    DSC00104.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1

Huron Angler

Admiral

That cast bow eye is one of the more unique pieces of hardware I've seen on an old metal boat.:)

I have a pair of vintage oars that are identical to those too.

Not a boat you see around very often to say the least.

DGrisham

Cadet
1940's? 12' MAGNESIUM STARCRAFT METAL TEST

1940's? 12' MAGNESIUM STARCRAFT METAL TEST

Attachments

• DSC00105.jpg
    DSC00105.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00100.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00098.jpg