Cobalt vs Regal - New Boat Purchase - Need a little advice

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cobalt vs Regal - New Boat Purchase - Need a little advice

You couldn't go wrong with either brand. It's a shame that all the boat shows for the year are over. That's usually the best place to compare boats--and their prices are the best of the year. There have been so many boat dealers and boat manufacturers go out of business that I cannot even keep up with what's boats are available on the market.

Unfortunately, your address doesn't say where you live. Cities like Atlanta have dozens and dozens of slightly used boats fresh water boats like these.

The internet is a great place to shop for any boat--going into IBoats.com, Boattrader.com, EBayMotors.com, etc. Another very interesting source of boats is National Liquidators--with hundreds of repossessed boats of all calipers. Even if you're going to buy at home, it gives you relative costs--and you can easily figure out who the players are in your market that really want your business. Sometimes you can drive a little and save alot. There's no replacement for being an informed buyer.

smdavis1004

Cadet

Here is where I am and now have a couple of follow up questions. I have driven the 2011 Cobalt 200 and the Regal 2100. The dealer lined each of them up for me and we went through both together, rode/drive each. I have to admit the Cobalt seems much quieter (even though they had the same engine) and was seems to glide across the water better. Here is one item we have left to consider:

The Cobalt is about 19.4 feet not counting the swing platform. The regal is a little bigger 21 feet and they weigh about the same. However, after riding the in Cobalt, we did notice that that it rocked a great deal with other boats passing. My wife and I noticed that right off. Now, from those that have been keeping up with this thread, you may know this is our first boat purchase...but I know boats rock! But I have recently been on some 24 foot boats and they seemed much less prone to the waves. I am unwilling to afford a new 24 foot cobalt.

With all that said, as our first boat, the 20 footer may be better for us...easier to dock, etc. It is just my wife and I.....what do you think? Is that just too small or would an extra two to three feet matter...in which case I may just go used....

The quote we received out the door (no trailer) on the Cobalt 200 was $42,000 (about). That included a few upgrades. I think it is a fair price for this boat. The Regal 2100 was about $41,000 (with more upgrades). I keep telling myself that this likely will not be out last boat, but I don't want our first adult boating experience to be negative either.

Any thoughts?

jkust

Rear Admiral

Here is Any thoughts?

My gut tells me that even though this is your first boat, go for a larger, used model. Only because you aren't trailering it. There are some fantastic deals out there. Better than I have ever seen in the past. although it is just you and your wife, the extra space is fantastic if you have on or two other couples onboard. Throw a couple kids into the mix and even a 20 footer gets tight. Even a foot or two (much less 4) of fiberglass in the water makes a huge difference in how a boat takes chop and waves. On smaller boats and some larger ones you may notice that some brands end the bottom of the part of the boat that rides in the water a foot or more before the end of the boat while some brands bring the bottom all the way to the back. That is why even a 19 foot boat for instance can ride better than a boat with a longer center line. As an example Chaparral does this with their extended v plane hull. One reason I have been satisfied with my smaller boat to date where chop and waves are concerned.

chadeps

Recruit

I recently purchased a 1998 Cobalt 200. The ride of the boat is really good for this length. I'm able to take 3 ft plus waves with minimal harshness. However, after owning this boat and boarding 3 adults and two small active kids, I wish I had a little more cockpit space. My future boat will be a Cobalt 210 or 220. I stayed shorter because I have to trailer and fit it into my garage. That little extra space of the 210 or 220 would still fit in the garage, but leave a bit more space in the cockpit, I believe.

I would suggest taking a 210 out to compare against the Regal 2100. If you like the Cobalt 210 better, look for a carryover that a dealer is willing to deal on or look for a slightly used. Again, the market generally is favorable to the buyer right now. Hope this helps in your decision. But as many others have said, buy what you feel is the best boat for you.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

both are very nice boats however i believe cobalt is the cadilac of the 2[the better end] i was at a boat show early this year and cobalt has newer designed windlass that instead of hanging over the front putting the motor on the outside of the boat its compleatly hidden all you see is the anchor below the line where the hull is joined i think its another $3,000 option. i went to the local cobalt dealer to see if they could put one on my boat they said they normally dont do that and they did one the week before with over 15 hours of labor on top of the $1,500 unit. just a tought but if you do any kind of boating that you need to anchor for anything that windlass will pay for itself fast.

I still have a hard time buying the bottom of the Cobalt line...but I just will not go higher on my budget.

what does 20 year old chrome look like? crap, dont be sad with the bottom line, chrome gets you laid, but it dont get you home. there are a few nice things about the higher trim levels 1 the seating and 2 some of the fiberglassing. 2 years ago i was looking at buying a brand new boat at the show they had 4 differnt levels of trim and showed each boat in a line. i started at the upper class 1 and moved down not noticing anything too differnt untill the last 1, of course they told me you can have the bottom line trim level upgraded as you go, say in 2 years you want that bimini top? just order it and we will ship it to you.

on another note i've seen regals from the 80's i have not seen any older cobalts in my area. not sure when they started out also compare motors and outdrives guessing they both have mercs? alpha or bravo? bravo's are bigger and i believe thus better but nothing is wrong with the alpha for that size boat.

as the last thing i will tell you is, resale doesnt matter. your $40,000 boat new, will be the same price in 10,15,20 years later, doesnt matter if its a regal or cobalt the fancy trim or the low end. take good care of it, keep it clean and keep up on fuild maintince is the best and only way to maintain any resale value.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't know where you are located, but here is a deal! Not my boat or listing.
2004 Cobalt