Are Stingray boats decent quality??

BlackRocket

Cadet
Looking at a Stingray 22' vs a Chaparral 20.5'.

Are the Stingray boats decently constructed, etc...

Thanks!

superbenk

Commander
Re: Are Stingray boats decent quality??

From what I understand, Stingray is an entry-level brand in a similar league as current Bayliner. I'd be interested in more knowledgeable responses too, however.

ziggy

Admiral

i could be wrong, but i believe stingray sits outside the genmar, brunswick monopoly. an independent boat builder. to me that's a plus.

only thing i can say is a buddy a mine is on his 2nd stingray. he's a perfectionist too. has very very high standards. so to me, that says a lot as to the quality of stingray...

on the other hand. both his stingrays were advertised as capable of 60 mph +. neither boats have got to 60. his old one was 19.5' and had a mercruiser fi v6. his new one has the vp fi 5.0 and is 20.5'... the 5.0 one almost has reached 60. but i don't think he's actually got it... 59.something mph gps..

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would say the chap will be of higher quality than the stingray, but only if you are looking at new boats. If used, the care and maintenance of each boat will mean much more than the stickers on the sides. One thing stingray does advertise is a more efficient hull shape than others - which is supposed to be good for more speed and efficiency. Not sure if the claims are supported by performance or not.

jkust

Rear Admiral

What year and model of each are you considering? I know first hand the details of newer Stingrays and newer Chaps. A quality comparison of these two brands would not be an appropriate or fair comparison. Stingrays are light hulls built for speed and efficiency to a price conscious buyer. They then have matching materials and components. Chaparral on the other hand has some of the heavies hulls out there making them a good bit slower but take waves and chop exceptionally well. Of course you can't see or realize the heft is there until you try to move it at the dock by hand or get out and use it. The Chaps use materials and components in the higher eschelon of what is available. Construction is top notch as well but the prices and residual value tell the story. When I shopped for boats new and used a few years back, the Stingrays on the showroom floor had obvious gelcoat defects and some other pretty egregious construction issues that actually suprised me. You are asking if they are decent quality, well in addition to my Chap, I also have an old Bayliner so yes compared to my 1980's Bayliner Stingrays are decent quality. Compared to my Chaparral and the definition of decent, no they are not. If i'm looking to get out on a boat on the cheap and go fast, sign me up. At the end of the day I have boats on each end of the quality continuum and have just as much of a good time on each. My thought is when considering new boats, even the least expensive Tahoe is actually not such a bad boat given how far the industry has improved since even the 1990's.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Depends on how you define "decent" and "quality". We have 2 Stingrays now, and if we ever need to buy a new fiberglass boat it will be another Stingray.

Our 2007 is a 22' Cuddy and it has been an excellent boat. It was priced about $10,000 under the competitive Chap that we looked at. Sure, the Chap has a thicker hull and has more amenities and I suppose by definition its higher quality. But ours does everything we need it to do and more. And yes, it is "decent". The SS hardware, welded rais and engine components are the same for both manufacturers.

Aside from construction, I personally prefer the ergonomics and layout. I compare the room in a boat as well as other "quality" aspects.

Our other Stingray is a 19' bowrider and this year she will be going into her 27th season. We bought her new as well. Normal maintenance and inside storage and the boat is like new. All parts of the boat are original including the floor.

As previously mentioned, Stingray is a family owned private company. They are better to deal with than one of the conglomerates with many levels of burocracy. As an example, our 2007 had a seat tear and they sent us a brande new seat no charge even though it was way out of warranty. The company also has factory tours for their customers, and pays for all the accomodations and meals for those attending. Any other companys do that!

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Chaparelle has always built a quality solid boat!

Although I havent seen a newer stingray up close, the 1997 we have I would put on the basic level. Fit/ finish isnt much and the quality is lacking (rear jump seats dont have a raised position), no hinges on any cushions/ ski hatch, cheep material, engine cover can relocate if not supported by the rear seats.... However mine is a 90's model and many boats were crappy in the 80's and 90's.

One thing as someone pointed out, although the Stingrays are efficient on gas with the shallow draft and light weight, some, like ours are a handful on a choppy day! Definately the hardest riding 19ft boat I've ever driven although she is rather fast on flat water!:)

jkust

Rear Admiral

One thing as someone pointed out, although the Stingrays are efficient on gas with the shallow draft and light weight, some, like ours are a handful on a choppy day! Definately the hardest riding 19ft boat I've ever driven although she is rather fast on flat water!:)

Yep, you soon realize that the kids like to go wot but your wife doesn't so the speed is lost on us other than short bursts. The outings with the Chap are less bonejarring and can handle much more chop comfortably which is handy when you only have so many days to use it and you are judged by the quality of each outing by the family (whether it is fair or not). I realized this past year why on the big lake chains there are a lot of Chaparrals and Cobalts. They simply perform better in rough water. Even our 18 footer with just the v6 option (versus the 5.0 v8 optional power) has a dry weight of a hair under 3000lbs. In smaller lakes it is probably overkill for an 18 foot boat to weigh as much as a 21 foot boat of other manufacturers and a bear to try to manually move by hand around the dock but on the larger lakes I don't have to say as many hail marry's when the wind picks up. All of this is really just talk though. Take a ride on a Chaparral and a Stingray of the same size and see what I mean. Like I said before these boats are way on the opposite ends of the spectrum and there are a lot of options in between to consider as well. What I can say about our Chaparral is that it just doesn't lack anywhere. I can't point out anything that is lacking but again the used Chaparral cost as much as a new Stingray so there is a cost benefit analysis there.

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stingray makes a good boat. We owned a 2004 Stingray 185LS and it served us well. It was definitely much better constructed than a Bayliner. I owned a 21 foot Bayliner a few years before the Stingray and things kept breaking. Never had that issue with our Stingray. We just ordered a Stingray 215LR. Prior to ordering, we looked at the 2011 Stingrays, Chaparrals, and Montereys. All three brands are good boats but the Stingray had more creature comforts in our size category. Construction was very good. In fact, we took a good look at a 215LR and the fit and finish was superb. We didn't really see a weight difference either. For example, the Chaparral 216SSI weighs 3,430 Lbs (21'6" boat-8'4 beam) and the 226SSI weighs 3,950 Lbs (22'6" boat-8'6 beam). The Stingray 215LR weighs 3,705 Lbs (21'11" boat-8'5 beam). Size for size, the Stingray appears to be about the same weight if not slightly heavier than a Chaparral. Last thing to think about is whatever boat you buy, who is going to fix it if it breaks. One thing that helped us to buy a Stingray was that the dealer is close by and we already had experience with them having already owned a Stingray. This dealer always treated us as if we were royalty even though we didn't buy our 2004 Stingray from them. This time, they made the sale. Bottom line, both boats are very nice and you won't go wrong with either one but you might want to add dealer service into the equation.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Stingray makes a good boat. We owned a 2004 Stingray 185LS and it served us well. It was definitely much better constructed than a Bayliner. I owned a 21 foot Bayliner a few years before the Stingray and things kept breaking. Never had that issue with our Stingray. We just ordered a Stingray 215LR. Prior to ordering, we looked at the 2011 Stingrays, Chaparrals, and Montereys. All three brands are good boats but the Stingray had more creature comforts in our size category. Construction was very good. In fact, we took a good look at a 215LR and the fit and finish was superb. We didn't really see a weight difference either. For example, the Chaparral 216SSI weighs 3,430 Lbs (21'6" boat-8'4 beam) and the 226SSI weighs 3,950 Lbs (22'6" boat-8'6 beam). The Stingray 215LR weighs 3,705 Lbs (21'11" boat-8'5 beam). Size for size, the Stingray appears to be about the same weight if not slightly heavier than a Chaparral. Last thing to think about is whatever boat you buy, who is going to fix it if it breaks. One thing that helped us to buy a Stingray was that the dealer is close by and we already had experience with them having already owned a Stingray. This dealer always treated us as if we were royalty even though we didn't buy our 2004 Stingray from them. This time, they made the sale. Bottom line, both boats are very nice and you won't go wrong with either one but you might want to add dealer service into the equation.

Sounds like the Chaparrals are exceptionally overpriced as the MSRP's are much lower on the SR's. I wonder how Chaparral can justify that?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chaps are beautiful, nicely constructed, and I believe as good of a stern drive as you can currently get. If you can afford the Chap, get it. You will be pleased.

Stingrays are great boats. They are not teh BMW or Caddy of boats, though. They are fast, handle well, comfortable, functional, and good looking.

My 19 foot stingray will be on its 7th season on the lake this year. When I go to drop it in the water, you would think its brand new. It runs great, tows great, looks great and is a great boat. Kids in and out of it, but no tears or stains on the vinyl, gel coat shines, and everythign works great. It sits outside on a farm 6 months a year under cover, and in a barn 6 months a year, and I do the maintenance. If you keep up with them, they are great boats.

That being said, I can feel the difference when we are in my buddies Chap. The vinyl feels thicker, the stainless steel feels more substantial, and it feels more solid.

However, it sctratches just the same and with wear and tear, and someone not working as hard to take care of it, would think my boat is newer than it, even though its 3 years old.

Lastly, everyone wants to be towed behind my Stingray, though, whether on the tube, ski, or wakeboard, and everyone who goes to take a tow run prefers to drive my Stingray than their boat. How about that?

PS: for water sports, you will want smart tabs on a 22 foot Stingray (mine is 19 foot and a outdrive foil works great), otherwords you will need to drive 50 MPH or more everywhere you go. Its a go fast hull.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

My current Stingray is my first and I have never owned any other boat, but have ridden in several Chaps, Cobalts, and Montereys, that being said:

I have been pleased with the fit, finish, and quality of my boat, however, I do not pretend to ignore the fact that it is not the highest quality boat out there. I strongly believe, however, that my boat is a very good value for the price. If you have the extra money, then by all means, go for the Chap or other "top end" boat, but I don't think the average boater would be disappointed in a Stingray. I do have firsthand experience with their factory customer service, which has been fantastic. I have emailed them with a few questions regarding the location of factory speakers (my boat didn't come with them) and I received timely responses from factory techs that provided the exact info I was inquiring about. They also set you up with your own customized website that allows access to owners and service manuals, a service history, a parts list for your boat, and an owners only forum that is frequented by Stingray reps who will answer questions and address concerns. I do not know if other companies offer these same "extras."

As mentioned above, Stingray is an independent company based in SC and do offer tours to people that order boats. You can even watch your boat being built on their webcams.

My next boat will also be a Stingray (when I am overcome by twofootitus).

jkust

Rear Admiral

My I strongly believe, however, that my boat is a very good value for the price. If you have the extra money, then by all means, go for the Chap or other "top end" boat, but I don't think the average boater would be disappointed in a Stingray. I do have firsthand experience with their factory customer service, which has been fantastic. I have emailed them with a few questions regarding the location of factory speakers (my boat didn't come with them) and I received timely responses from factory techs that provided the exact info I was inquiring about. They also set you up with your own customized website that allows access to owners and service manuals, a service history, a parts list for your boat, and an owners only forum that is frequented by Stingray reps who will answer questions and address concerns. I do not know if other companies offer these same "extras."

My next boat will also be a Stingray (when I am overcome by twofootitus).

I think the Stingrays have a good formula. Their website is actually pretty cool. In response to the above, I haven't needed to call or deal with customer service. I will say that the Chaparral owners sight is fantastic with a ton of daily activity from other owners. Chaps also can be had with both Volvo or Mercruiser. It's funny, it sounds like the SR's are moving up the chart but I think the brand new, smaller, under 20 foot Chaps are moving down the chart offering fewer power options than in the past with lighter hull weights.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stingray is back in black -- that is back to offering merc and volvo, versus just volvo, in 2011.

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stingray is back in black -- that is back to offering merc and volvo, versus just volvo, in 2011.

You are absolutely correct. Our 2011 215LR is on order and it will come with a Mercruiser 5.0 engine...not a Volvo.

floridaray

Recruit

I ordered a new Stingray 225LR earlier this year, after looking at pretty much everything on the market.
I ruled our Chapparal due to the fact they are heavy boats. Speed was my priority,Stingrays are lightest in their class, and therefore fastest. My 23ft one will do GPS 60mph with a 320hp; a 23ft Chapparal would be maybe 10mph slower?

60 hrs on with it so far so good. Build quality is OK (nothing special) nothing has fallen off or broken, vinyl and carpet quality first rate, sharp looks, and good rough water ride with this latest hull design (Can't comment on older Stingrays)

Would I buy another? so far so good,This one gives everything I want in a bowrider, so yes no question.

crewscontrol

Seaman

Sting Rays (at least some of them) are made about 70 miles from my house. I have toured the plant. While I personally own a Sea Ray 270DA, I have a boating friend who has a 26 ft Sting Ray that kinda mimics the 260 Sea Ray is design, especially in the cabin. He has owned the Sting Ray since he bought it new in 1999 (I think) and he has had zero issues with it.

One thing for sure. His 26 foot Sting Ray with a single 5.7 L Mercruiser will run 50 MPH, while my 27 foot Sea Ray with a single 7.4 L Mercruiser will top out at around 42 MPH. I guess this is because the Sting Ray is MUCH lighter.