Bimini top, straps or struts?

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just added a 6 ft bimini to my crestliner proam last weekend, and man while running the thing dances like crazy and the straps buzz and flap.....other than that im happy, only other thing is it makes water and engine noise louder, but at the same time i found my self able to hear my buddy better while to trying to talk.

anyways, im thinking about doing struts for at least the back, would also allow me to store it up but booted which i think would be of value as its only a 16 ft boat and when laid down it takes up a potential seating area.

will the struts make it more stable underway? or would i need to use struts at both ends to see benefit?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Bimini top, straps or struts?

I would think the strut would make it a little more "stable". But I have also seen biminis with struts that then shake back and forth and rattle over every wave. I prefer the straps.
To keep my straps from flapping, I always made sure they were snug/tight, and I put one full twist in them. Kind of like the car antennas you see with that "spiral" up the side. Antenna doesn't hardly move at all after that. Hope that helps.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

i hear you on the twisting, however that will require new clips as the current ones swivel, i have done the twist thing when strapping stuff on a flatbed before and it works..

i will admit this is not a name brand bimini, it was rather low priced in comparison to the ones here at iboats.... i mainly got it for the benifit of my wife and child, as wifey doesnt handle lots of sun well, and im trying to make the boat an enjoyable experience for her, my daughter loves it, sun or not she doesnt care. but then she is 4 1/2....

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, I'd certainly buy new clips before I bought replacement struts! :) ;)
I am amazed at the people that run without bimini tops, even here in IL. It just makes the day so much nicer.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My old boat had straps in the front, the new boat has struts. Personally, I like the struts.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have the straps and like mentioned above put several twists in and it works well. I've gotta think you could correct the swivel clips easily. With that said, because I have the straps and not the struts, if it's not in use, you can't practically have it at the ready since I have to keep it in the built in storage in the engine bay. In other words, I probably use the Bimini 1/10th the time I would if I could store it in the up position with a boot. It is handy to have a boat that has built in storage but no struts means use only on the hottest/sunniest days. Our sun here in MN isn't as hot as most states so we can get away with no bimini as most do.

msojjo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The struts are very nice. Like you said you can store it in it's boot in the "up" position and have it readily avaliable when you want or need it. The boat that i had previously, a 17 footer, i had the struts and always had it up, like you said you can't fold it down and have it taking up seating room. We also used it as a towel hanger to dry off wet towels. The boat i have now has the straps, the little i have used it, i had it up once to see what it was like, and havent taken it out after that because it dosent stand up on it's own, just because it's a pain to take it in and out.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope this isn't considered hijacking this thread but for those of you with the struts, can you tow at highway speeds with the top booted? I was just curious because I was at West Marine the other day and saw the Taylor Made struts. The package said not for use over 35mph. Those seemed like they would be a waste of money, especially with all the plastic parts on them.

Wayne

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed the struts and some Deck Hinge with Spring-Loaded Pin

unnamed.jpg

Make it easy to put down when towing (or going under a low bridge), and to keep it up folded or unfolded when boating. I also replaced the plastic hinges with SS one ( got a good deal..) that help a lot with the "shaking".

IMG_3057.jpg

DCP_5397.jpg

_NIK7772.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have struts in front, straps in back. Maybe the previous owner installed them backwards but it works great even though it might look 'raked back" lie a spoiler. Who cares.
I love ahvnig it up as an arch, booted, when not in use, so think about what puts it most out of the way-look at where you typically board, or fish,m or whatever along the side.
They all shake and flap at speeds. Get a T top if you don't like it. With struts, it's easy to fold it when you're running, and you don't need it then anyway. So I leave mine in the boot running from the house to the destination, and back, and leave it up ni between, or if I have a long run, I fold it together and put a bungee on it.
I take it off in the winter; they do interfere with fishing. In the summer it's a trade off.
I am sure you can trailer it in the boot. They just say that for liability.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I think that the rear struts actually make the Bimini more useful. You can store it folded, up and out of the way while out on the water, or drop it flat to trailer. I tie mine off to keep it from swaying, if in the up position, when I trailer it, but drop it during storage. Some use a rigid support to trailer it while up, which makes it convenient.

BoatLogo1.jpg
[/IMG]

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have struts astern and straps forward, but are thinking of trying all struts. Struts do keep it up and out of the way. If you need more room try a sliding rail system from IBOATS, they are surprisingly strong; I even used them to slide the lounge seats on my pontoon boat.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

you guys pretty much confirm that i want to go with struts at least on one end, most likely the rear, but then i can actually lay mine down either direction and have it be relatively out of the way.

and yeah i can see it getting in the way of fishing for sure

as for trailering i think as long as its in the boot it will be fine while up on struts, no way am i gonna try and run 65mph with it fully up and open tho, accross town from my buddies house to the ramp, maybe that would be 30 mph for about 2 miles so no faster than the boat is capable of.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the problem of towing with the bimini up is clearance....low tree and branches love it

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I made my own struts from a couple of old aluminum handled mops and bought the ends. They are not adjustable, BUT---Total Cost: About 5 bucks a strut. I have my struts on the back because I also added a diagonal one at the transom, running from the top of the starboard strut to the edge of the motor well. This keeps the whole top from dancing around at speed. I did have brass deck loops for the front straps but found that the constant movement of the straps wore both the snap and loop. I replaced the deck loops with plastic ones and have had no problems. Still toying with the idea of front struts to replace the straps. Have not made up my mind yet.

I tow with it down simply because of clearance. I do go under a low overpass and it will not clear. Since my boat does 40 and I regularly run with the top either up or folded in the up position, I suspect that I could tow at reasonable speeds with the bimini in its boot.

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the struts in the back and straps in the front. Pretty much the thing never comes off the boat. I run it on the lake with it in the propped up position, and I put it down when towing. It sits nicely on the engine compartment in the down position. Also I found that my snap on compartment cover goes right over it so I never have to take it off. Best investment a person can make for a boat (that and SmartTabs).

hostage

Lieutenant

I got the $32 ones from boats they work great I used the straps for a little while before i manned up to drill more holes in my boat. It is grat for storage and I have no problem driving with it at speeds. I think it also adds a cool look to the boat.

-Hostage

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have straps on front and rear. I am going to replace back straps with struts, I would like to be able to "store" it in the up position!

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Just to make things interesting and cause more and heated discussion I will tell you of my previous set-up.

I had a 19' Aqua Sport CC to which I added a bimini. However, I didn't like the looks and flapping of the straps so I added the struts as previously described.

I left the bimini up at highway speeds with no ill effects but when running I still had the hated straps.

Then I found a product on e-bay that was made by a fabricator that was made from SS and when added to your selected length of aluminum pole would act as a spreader between the back and front bows. This spreader was adjustable for tension and allowed the straps to be removed. This was great and I was able to run at WOT with no problems.

The seller is no longer available but I did find a similar product on this site,www.geminicanvas.com.

I also liked the clean look of no straps and used the same configuration on my wifes dink.

Unfortunately, or not, my current boat has a 1/2 tower and I am going to have to be creative when I add the bimini's to it.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's pretty cool! Strapless Bimini.