Boat in slip needs protection....

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a nice boat in slip. I want to protect it from the onslaught of bird crap, UV rays and weeds.

The docks I stay in are very nicely kept up. The owner sprays goose away on the grass. For the most part there isn't much bird activity. But I do get some droppings.

Also there are HUGE weed puds growing the the area. They are sticking up above the water.

Is there a soap or spay I can use to keeps the birds away and kills the weeds?

Thanks

ps. I'm not putting any crap on the boat to scare the birds away. I'd get the BB gun out before I do that.

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Boat in slip needs protection....

I have a nice boat in slip. I want to protect it from the onslaught of bird crap, UV rays and weeds.

The docks I stay in are very nicely kept up. The owner sprays goose away on the grass. For the most part there isn't much bird activity. But I do get some droppings.

Also there are HUGE weed puds growing the the area. They are sticking up above the water.

Is there a soap or spay I can use to keeps the birds away and kills the weeds?

Thanks

ps. I'm not putting any crap on the boat to scare the birds away. I'd get the BB gun out before I do that.

There is no soap or spray to keep the birds away. If you're not willing to put any "crap" on the boat to scare the birds away, you will have birds around. You will have birds around regardless of what you do. Some people at my marina put plastic owls out to scare the birds away. After a few days, the birds perch on the owls.

As for the weeds, you might be able to pull them up but you cannot poison the water to kill them. Weeds (and birds) are part of nature.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Check and see if the marina will let you install a cantilevered awning which will cover your boat. There's an aluminum frame which bolts to the dock and it goes up and over your boat. As long as the birds don't swoop under and actually sit on your boat, that might do it.

As for the weeds - be careful of local bylaws about just spraying killer around or pulling up vegetation. It's a no-no in more and more places - especially around lakes and rivers.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check with the owner about the weeds. In our area the hydrilla gets really bad this time of year and the county used to spray for it. Hydrilla is an invasive/noxious weed that the corp of engineers (they own the lake) allows us to kill it. This year the county ran out of money, so it really bad. mad:

I found out the poison used by the company (a mixture of diquat and copper). You can purchase it online, I went ahead and ordered some online. Not cheap, and I haven't been back to the dock since I sprayed last week.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

That's the problem with outdoor sports. You're outdoors. Deal with it or go inside.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I haven't found anything that will keep birds away.

Those piling caps don't work- I've seen birds pass up piling without them to sit on one with one.

Utrasonic noise speakers mounted around the dock- no help.

Fake owls- as stated above no help.

Motion activated sprinkler- keeps them off boat but give them an attitude so they do bombing runs.

Good luck.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Motion activated sprinkler- keeps them off boat but give them an attitude so they do bombing runs.
They are not all that popular with your slip neighbors or marina staff either! :rolleyes:

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I've seen fishing line used with success to keep sea gulls and such from (landing and)sitting around . Also have seen it used to keep ducks from accessing ramp walkways and poop'in all over the place. Just string it in a line from point to point. They don't like the "feel" of it as they walk beside it or try to land near it.

I DO have a problem with John Q. Citizen throwing all kinds of toxic herbicides in the water to make his life a little cleaner!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't found anything that will keep birds away.

Those piling caps don't work- I've seen birds pass up piling without them to sit on one with one.

Utrasonic noise speakers mounted around the dock- no help.

Fake owls- as stated above no help.

Good luck.

"Bombing runs!" There is coffee on the keyboard right now because of that line. Too funny!

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

The sea gulls (aka sea rats) always leave my boat alone until August. The two months prior they don't bother it. Now most every weekend I have to pull the cockpit cover, lay it out on the dock and scrub it clean with laundry detergent.

I've tried the fake owl route and have seen every contraption that can be bought on other peoples boats. Given how most of these contraptions are, it must take twice the amount of time to cover up and put the boat away at the end of the day. I'd rather just wash the cover and curse at the sea rats.

BTW: I was out last weekend and saw a moored boat with what used to be a blue mooring cover. It's now white with sea rat crap with spots of blue shining through. They may as well throw that cover out. Maybe they should check on their boat more often.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The OP said he wouldn't put devices on his boat. But for others who want to solve the problem, a neighbor has "dock spiders" on his pier that are an interesting rig. Of course it won't stop the aerial attacks but it stops them from perching on the boat.