First Boat

rhutime

Recruit
My family of five is looking for our first boat. We were looking at bowriders. We thought this would be a good boat for the lake and river. We would also be able to tow it back and forth without any trouble. I have looked at a few and I found one that is solid but the owner thinks it needs a stator. He said when he ran it last the volt meter only was at 12 amps. It is a 1990 19' bayliner capri. If the stator is bad is that expensive to fix? The boat has a 120 force L drive, is that a good motor? We are really new to this and I am looking for any advice on boats. If you have suggestions on a better boat let me know and I will check it out. I don't mind having to put some work into a boat to save money I just don't want to buy a lemon. I cannot afford a new boat so i am looking for a good winter project to get ready for next summer. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Boat

The L-drive is literally the worst powerplant could possibly have. DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT. Seriously. Parts and service for that thing are virtually non-existent.

Welcome to iboats! You've made a good move coming here first so we can save from mistakes like an L-drive. Feel free to run any other possible purchases past us. We love that kind of thing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Since you ar enew to it, don't buy a boat that doesn't run and "all you need to do is..." You have to see it running to know there isn't anything else.
That's not to say don't buy a boat with problems, just be sure you know what the problems are and the cost to fix them.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

An L-drive in good running condition isn't for the inexperienced, let alone one that already has problems. Although it shares the stator with the same year and HP Force outboard (it has a Force outboard powerhead), the drive parts are very hard to find and very pricey.

Give this one a pass. Find one with a sterndrive (aka I/O or inboard/outboard) or a regular outboard. A bowrider sounds like it would work for your purposes but 19' might be a bit crowded if the kids are older. You also need to consider what you will tow it with.

ph98223

Cadet

yes pass on the L-drive they are not good. You should just walk away quick from anythiing with a force engine on it. oh yeah and welcom to iboats the people here are great and will help with anything you ask.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

what part of the country are you from...cheap bow riders are a dime a dozen in most areas. Let us know where you from and people will likely start finding boats for you!

rhutime

Recruit

I live in Western Pennsylvania. Thanks for all the input on the L-Drive. I will not even consider it. I have a 2500 Chevy Suburban that will pull a house, so I am not to worried about towing. I just do not want to be pulling some 25' boat back and forth for use. Let me know what suggestions you have. Would like something the boys can tube from and we could use for some fishing as well as just cruising around. I am gracious for all the help. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

bjennings79

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. We went with a Hurricane deck boat. It's able to do a little of everything and has plenty of room, including a front fishing deck. Couldn't be happier with it.

2010-06-25-19h25m43.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

For I/O's stick with Mercruiser or Volvo. The one exception being the Mercruiser 470. For outboards anything but Chrysler/Force is fine.

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys since the whole L-drive has been the topic can someone explain that design to me. I had a 89 force 125 ob that i sold to a guy that said he had a L-drive & was going to use the power head so i played along but was totally lost. To be honest that was the first time i had ever heard of a L-drive so i researched it & couldnt find any pics or diagrams of one. Just wanted to understand this rare concept.

rhutime

Recruit

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. We went with a Hurricane deck boat. It's able to do a little of everything and has plenty of room, including a front fishing deck. Couldn't be happier with it.

2010-06-25-19h25m43.jpg

Your boat looks great! Do you trailer it back and forth, or do you dock it? I do not mind pulling a boat that size if it isn't going to be a big pain getting it in and out. What do boats like your cost? How many feet is it? Can we ski off it. My body has a deck boat and it is great, but he docks it and has them pull it and store it in the winter. We skied from his but he has dual outboards. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

bjennings79

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We trailer it about 45 min to the lake with an 09 Dodge crew cab Hemi. No problems at all. It is easy to launch. It is 19' and is rated for 8 ppl or about 1250 lbs. We have not tried skiing or tubing yet. Will probably start doing that next summer after I get a little more experience behind the wheel. It has no problems with cruising at a little over 40mph with 500lbs of people on board. I can't imagine having a problem pulling skis or tubes. In my area, this boat, a 2006 with 115 4-stroke, will cost you 18k-20k. I was quoted over 30k for brand new ones from the dealers. I came across a '99 model with a johnson 2-stroke for about 10k, which I would have been interested in buying but it was already sold.

rhutime

Recruit

The power sounds good as well as the room on board. I will add it to my list of boats to look for. I need to keep it under 21' so I can store it in my garage with the trailer. thanks for the help