Has LORAN GONE AWAY?

gss036

Commander
The last couple trips I turned on my Loran and it could not find a signal here in the San Juan Islands. I do have GPS but really like the loran for compass headings in the fog like it was here 2 weeks ago.
I stopped by a radar shop and the kid there says as far as he knows, it is a thing of the past. If that is the case, I guess I can remove another antenna from my boat.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Has LORAN GONE AWAY?

google it.. I seem to remember reading somewhere it was to be discontinued...

Droopy

Seaman Apprentice

It looks to me like it's gone. The Russian and Canadian coast signals were terminated early this month according to http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=loranMain and I'm guessing that's what you had been receiving since I believe most of the US signals were terminated in February?

John

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah Loran is history. For a few years there was a push to keep it alive as a backup to GPS but they determined the system too costly to maintain.

gss036

Commander

Thanks, for the info, now I will have one less antenna to put up and down. I will still use it as depth sounder as it works great and has a pedal wheel for water speed under the boat. GPS give boat movement,

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I removed mine back in may but like you liked the way my old Furuno LC90 displayed bearing and distance.

I have 2 portable GPS units but both are really too small and really do not display
range and bearing as good as the old Loran C.

Still looking for a unit I like as well as the old Furuno LC-90.

Keep a list of all your old waypoints as they can be converted to GPS Lat and Long to give you a position within about 1/4 mile.

gss036

Commander

Actually I have 2 GPS units and they have all the old numbers installed and I have a list printed out on my boat.