No wake zone???

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: No wake zone???

Lmao!!!! Oops I didn't know Jackie could get on a horse!!!!!!! My bad!!!!! But John wayne would have sounded bad a-- saying it!

idaharoam

Cadet

You mean John Wayne??? Who's the old guy here.... or were you just checking lol

"You gonna draw them pistol's or whistle dixie?"

:)

You were'nt wrong man. Its obvious you were just rying to enjoy your evening with your wife while enjoying a nice meal. I don't think there's a darn thing to read into this. Actually pretty wild story. I'm just glad it was'nt me.

Ryan.

NYBo

Admiral

No "attack" intended. As I said before, we weren't there. If you have gone past the police before and didn't get a hollar, then YOU know your boat is operating correctly and undoubtedly the restaurant guy was having a bad day. If it were me I would go back and try again, but this time converse with the guy like you did here. I love that old movie with the guy on the horse that says: "It must be a failure to communicate".
Nope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o
:D

DaNinja

Lieutenant

We have a bonifide "No Wake" here at the end of the cove. Beyond that, I exercise "Polite Wake" until I get past the houses that have a direct route to mine.;)

After that I'm open to get on plane, but I rarely do since entering the main channel at speed is a good way to get broadsided by a fast mover hugging the shoreline.

My 24' boat idles fast but barely produces a ripple at idle. Coming off plane, and not letting the hull settle, produces a plowing wake that would rival some cruisers.:eek:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

try driving a jet ski or fast looking jet boat... i've gotten yelled at by more people than I can count for no wake. I have a gps on both vessels, and both never exceed 3.5 mph in no-wake zones. I have simultaneously been flipped off by pontoons for going too slow, and yelled at for going to fast in the no wake. (seriously, within 2 minutes. The person of course was blind to the pontoon that just overtook me)

All because they don't agree with a jetski on their little 'private' water. As someone else mentioned, people put up no-wake buoys, thinking it means private property/no boats allowed.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

try driving a jet ski or fast looking jet boat... i've gotten yelled at by more people than I can count for no wake. I have a gps on both vessels, and both never exceed 3.5 mph in no-wake zones. I have simultaneously been flipped off by pontoons for going too slow, and yelled at for going to fast in the no wake. (seriously, within 2 minutes. The person of course was blind to the pontoon that just overtook me)

All because they don't agree with a jetski on their little 'private' water. As someone else mentioned, people put up no-wake buoys, thinking it means private property/no boats allowed.
And it's those bouys, bought at the local hardware store, that I respectful of, but in no way obligated to.

I was doing my "Polite Wake" departure the other day and I was passed by a boat pulling a slalom skier. He was completely within the rules.

But, to the discussion, idle at full plow can be dramatically different than idle with a settled hull. The wife was annoyed with me when I commented on the wake she was leaving.

"BUT I"M AT IDLE!!":mad:
"Yes darling, come back to neutral and let the hull settle. Then try idle again."

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

then that dude was a hyper sensitive bone head!

QC

Supreme Mariner

A lot of weirdness here . . . what's wrong with following the law? I have posted this week in a thread about speed limits, and said "I don't want any speed limits". But no wake zones are important and on almost every body of water that I have ever boated on. What's wrong with doing it right? What would you teach your kids? Follow this law, but blow off that one? Odd.

To quote someone's factory specs sounds like something a 10 year old would do.....to know (and quote) how fast your boat goes at 650rpm and 900 rpm is something my mom would do.
I don't understand this at all . . . seems to me that this is exactly the problem. My boat acts very similar to 45's, especially when swinging a 24" prop. 22" not as bad (fast). At idle (650) with the 24" prop, my boat produces barely a ripple, makes headway, and that's how I run it in no wake zones. Why is that bad? Oh, and BTW, the smaller the boat the slower the no wake speed, it's just a physics thing . . . ;)

P.S. It is entirely possible the bar owner was an idiot, but I guarantee an 18 footer with an 850 RPM idle will throw a wake.

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny, once I was in an I/O and thought I was being courteous at a popular swim area here by going at near idle. Guy in the water yelled at me, and I looked behind me, and I was creating a huge, huge wake. I immediately dropped to neutral, and moved on, but it cracks me up to thing about it. I've experienced the same problrm in the same place while in the water. It happens.

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Interesting QC ummmmm have you ever been in my boat???? Do you know how it's trimmed or tuned or the prop I'm running???? If my tach is right on or not???? If I'm light...... Carry a lot of extra weight.... It's not a factory fresh boat the motor has been rebuilt and its not a stock prop so quoting factory specs is a little silly and saying you guarantee that it will throw a wake at 850 would lose you some money if you were a betting man! It barely steers at idle much less moves enough to make a wake! You may know a lot about boats and a lot of useful cookie cutter information about boats but you don't know my boat. Good greif!
And btw I have no issue with obeying the laws on the water... I make every effort to which is why I asked the question to clarify a no wake zone..... Like I said I bet if I hadn't added the story I don't think all the other really off the subject talk would be going on.... Next time I'll just stick to the question.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Interesting QC ummmmm have you ever been in my boat???? Do you know how it's trimmed or tuned or the prop I'm running???? If my tach is right on or not???? If I'm light...... Carry a lot of extra weight.... It's not a factory fresh boat the motor has been rebuilt and its not a stock prop so quoting factory specs is a little silly and saying you guarantee that it will throw a wake at 850 would lose you some money if you were a betting man! It barely steers at idle much less moves enough to make a wake! You may know a lot about boats and a lot of useful cookie cutter information about boats but you don't know my boat. Good greif!!
you at least got the good grief part right

if this is the worst thing that happened to you on this outing, let it go. enjoy the rest.
if you cant let it go get rid of your boat because stuff like this happens all the time and your not going to be happy

wcsellers

Cadet

give him the "one finger wave " as you show him what a real wake looks like on the way out. The old retiree's on lake normans "private" communities are the same way. *****es with nothing else to do. Guess they got tired of yelling at their wives and chose boaters for a while. I usually drop all throttle til I fall off plane almost to a dead stop then ease it back up to gain enough steerable momentum

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jax lol I am very happy been boating for many years even been to that same bar several times... Ive been over the grumpy old man yelling at me since I left his bar.... Could care less just wanted to clarify and question and tell a funny story that went with it.... I'm a firefighter and I work in an ER I'm pretty thick skinned..... Like I've mentioned I have gotten a lot of good info and a lot of ummm well not so good info I'll just leave it there. Lol

QC

Supreme Mariner

I wasn't attacking you man, but no wake means no wake to me. Like jax pic. Where I boat there are boats that won't idle without a wake, they're also swinging 30 inch pitch props with high ratios :eek: I know a couple of other non-cookie cutter things like trim doesn't matter at displacement speeds as far as a wake is concerned. But I will submit that with a 13 inch pitch at 850 RPM with 2:1 gear ratio you might have been wakeless.

This site is educational and I have a problem with those that suggest getting it right is somehow wrong. The quote I used was not from you anyway . . :confused:

Oh and heavier loaded = less wake ;)

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No problem QC and I'm sure you know more about boats than I ever will, but I do know that my boat at idle barely steers and doesn't make a wake makes me want to get the tach looked at, and I threw the trim thing in thought it sounded good! Lol I completely agree with you about this being an education forum which is why it's a little frustrating the way some have responded about how my boat performs or what I was doing wrong that had nothing to do with the subject I think those that were implying the wrong way were just playing along with the story about a grumpy old man with no people skills ranting a raving without even stopping to talk about things. I think he would have enjoyed the fact I bottomed out but he just yelled more lol.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lets loot at Jax's pic... it is ideal... wonder if you sat for a while and observed a busy no wake zone what would you see?? We have a few here on ICW north of Charleston. I can tell you right now maybe 10% of the boats coming through look like that. Are the rest at idle... I bet a good part of them are. What about them??? I think the whole intention of "no wake" is to just slow down to idle and be cool so you dont beat the hell out of shoreline. A windy day kicks up more then those boats coming through at idle! If some guys is yelling at you cause he can see some heavy ripples coming off your bow... well thats his problem.

86 century

Ensign

I may be wrong but most of the posters in this thread run i/o or outboards. I am sure most of you have seen the huge wakes that some of the inboards produce even at a proper idle.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same thing happen to me and it was a really ridiculous ordeal. I had a 14ft jon boat at the beginning of this summer and I had invited my dad to go fishing with me one saturday. We were in a cove fishing and in order to leave the cove you had to pass a small boat dock and bait shop. There were a couple of nice high powered bass boats in the cove when we arrived and Im not sure if that wasnt what instigated the incident but as we were leaving my dad told me to stop at the docks on the way out to try to fish there for a bit. So we were idling along in my 15hp 14ft jon boat heading to the docks. What made this so funny is that I weigh about 260lbs and my dad is probably pushing about 300 so in a 14ft 15hp jon the top speed may have been 8-10mph and we were maybe just above idle and after we stopped at the docks to fish some guy was marching down the hill trying asking me how long I have been operating a boat. I had a good assumption of where it was going so instead of giving him a direct answer I just said why do you want to know and he started rambling about how I was going to fast in a no wake zone and pointed out another boat that was doing it correctly. At first I tried to reason with him and said I was only idling and this was useless because this piece of trash just wanted to chew someone out. At that point I told him that he was right and I sarcastically admitted to tearing up the lake with my 15hp from hell. He continued to run his blow hole and I fired my engine and told him to kiss it where the sun didnt shine. He continued to run his mouth and as I was revving my motor I said I couldnt hear him and actually made a small wake as I left. At this point you would think it would be over but after fishing for about 30min at another spot the obviously bored fella showed up on a pontoon boat and pulled the plug on his blow hole again. He even went so far as to try to put down my lowly jon boat and write down my boat numbers so he could call the twra. You would have thought he would have left at this point but no he continued to run his mouth. I asked him if the wake I made was so bad how could he have possibly been able to stand on those rotten docks he was so concerned about when he first graced us with his presence. He said he could stand anywhere LOL! I then noticed his boat had out of date registration numbers and I told him I was going to call the twra on him. He finally left! In my opinon some people just need there fu%^&* a## whipped but being the law abiding citizen I am I practiced restraint. Loads of it but people like that will test your patience,restraint,etc,etc,etc..... I am in the process of restoring a small speed boat so maybe I will show that fine gentleman what a wake actually is before the summer is over,lol!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

gtdavis...

Unless the owner of the establishment in question is insane, I have to assume there was some justification for him yelling at and driving off a potential customer.

Simple logic.

The folks here who have 'attacked' you (I fail to see it, btw) undoubtedly have the same opinion. I've too often been the victim of people whose interpretation of leaving 'no wake' means leaving anything short of a tsunami :)

If you posted to learn what you might have done wrong, you've received numerous legitimate answers and sound advice.

Have fun!

My .02