I keep on hearing how Bayliner boats have a bad reputation, how bad is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

45Auto

Commander
Re: I keep on hearing how Bayliner boats have a bad reputation, how bad is it?

actually the wood in my boat has not been replaced, and it does not have gray primer.

Flip the seat up in your boat and take a picture of the base for us, I'd be interested to see it. Maybe 1991 was a good year for them!

Out of the 4 seat backs and 4 seat bases on my 1996 Bayliner, only one was not rotted out when it was 5 years old. I used this one as a pattern and replaced them all with treated plywood coated with 2 coats of spar varnish. They still looked like new when I sold the boat. The seat foam was originally wrapped in some thin, brittle plastic that had cracked over the years. The boat was heavily used for watersports with 5 or 6 kids, their wet suits drained down the seats and the foam got damp through the cracks in the wrapping. It rotted the gray primed wood totally away. You can also see some of the rust marks from the staples around the edge in the survivor here:

baylinerSeat.jpg

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

Flip the seat up in your boat and take a picture of the base for us, I'd be interested to see it. Maybe 1991 was a good year for them!

Out of the 4 seat backs and 4 seat bases on my 1996 Bayliner, only one was not rotted out when it was 5 years old. I used this one as a pattern and replaced them all with treated plywood coated with 2 coats of spar varnish. They still looked like new when I sold the boat. The seat foam was originally wrapped in some thin, brittle plastic that had cracked over the years. The boat was heavily used for watersports with 5 or 6 kids, their wet suits drained down the seats and the foam got damp through the cracks in the wrapping. It rotted the gray primed wood totally away. You can also see some of the rust marks from the staples around the edge in the survivor here:

baylinerSeat.jpg

the wood in my boat looks nothing like that. i wish i could to take a pic to prove it, but im tellin you it has a nice bilge coat all over.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Alright, I was a little out of line in my last posts. Just takin some jabs at the folks that buy big boats and can't afford them(happens alot unfortunately) and the guys that just bash to be bashin(there really aren't any in this thread, but I've heard them many times before) and at Harley guys, because, well........that's what Yami guys and Harley guys do to each other. :D Guess I just went a little overboard for a minute, and what I said really didn't apply to this thread. Guess I just went a little nuts for a sec.

But really, I met a friend and fellow iboater at a cove on Lake Eufaula, OK last weekend. I was just astonished when I pulled in and saw all the fancy boats anchored in that cove. I'm talkin high dollar rigs, and the vast majority of the people driving them looked like they were college age. I thought it was highly unlikely that most of them could afford what they were driving. I was there for several hours, and almost none of them ever moved. Just seemed a shame for all those sweet rides to just sit there all day. That's just not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

Anywho, my bad of the studip rant bofore. :)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

However, there's no need to bash other people who can afford more expensive toys and probably enjoy them just as much as you do yours. Actually, there's probably lots of people out there who CAN'T afford their toys but enjoy them more than any of us while they have them!! I know that if I had a fancy boat I couldn't afford I would enjoy the HECK out of it till they came to take what remained of it back! :D

That's not the way I read this thread. I don't see Bayliner people bashing the Searay people or wishing they had one. What I read here is the snob group bashing Bayliners.

Maybe you are amused by the thread, but it bothers me a bit. To me it just exposes the arrogance of some people. If the guy down the street owns a Bayliner, so be it. Not my cup of tea but more power to him.

If somebody enjoys something that we don't particularly care for, its none of our business.

Personally, I drive a Caddy and wouldn't own a lesser car. But I don't begrudge my neighbor's Chevy...and I don't belittle him either.

Just maybe some of the snobs aren't exactly happy with their Searays either (for whatever reason), and they get their jollies out of bashing others.

Can't always believe what you read on the net either. One of my other hobbies is gun collecting. I once got a super deal at an estate sale (so I thought), but was hesitant since it got 90% bad press on the net. Turned out to be the most accurate and most reliable gun I own.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Bayliners must really suck... that's probably why there are still thousands of them from the 1990 era on the water still....just sayin... :cool:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

After reading all this B.S. it makes me glad that only own a lil tinnie.

My only problem with Bayliners, SeaRays, Cobalts, Correct Crafts, etc, etc is that I wish you guy would leave me alone and quit trying to run me over! Feels like Whale Wars out there!

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

No need to bash a Mercedes if you're happy with your Corolla!

Hmmmmm...... who is bashing the high end boats here?

Like previously mentioned.....people are on here bashing bayliners.....what is absurd about it is....some of the knuckleheads bashing them have crap for boats too.....Their boats aren't even NEAR being a top of the line.

As far as my car is concerned......I buy what I want to buy.......and I don't give a crap what anyone has to say about it.....

So....next time you see me rolling up to the launch in my wife's Escalade....and dropping off our little "Gayliner"....wave and know that I don't care what you think....:D

The Mercedes??? Well....when you live in SoCal....and you drive alot.....as the saying goes....you gotta love what you drive......I am in that car 3hrs a day minimum......My boat? Ahhh....about twice a month tops.....Get it?? Show me a Chevy that is as comfortable as my benz and I will take a look.....Guess what, you aren't gonna find it....

45Auto

Commander

LMAO!!! See, this is why these Bayliner threads are so great. people don't even realize what they're posting!

jims123 said:
Personally, I drive a Caddy and wouldn't own a lesser car. But I don't begrudge my neighbor's Chevy...and I don't belittle him either.

You don't consider calling your neighbor's Chevy a "lesser" car than your Cadillac to belittleing him??? What determines whether a car is "lesser" to you? Manufacturer's sticker price maybe? A great majority of the people I know (who aren't into how much something costs, but how well it performs, etc) don't consider it even to be possible to get a "lesser" car than a Cadallic! In value for the price, they're pretty close to the bottom. Maybe you consider people with boats other than yours to have "lesser" boats?

NYBo

Admiral

By the way I've owned 3 Bayliners before. :)
I'm just kidding with ya because I know how easy it is to get you guys going !!. :D
You're a bad boy, Wayne. I hereby banish you to the BOC!:eek:

Oh, wait, that won't work.:redface:

NYBo

Admiral

Easy choice. The one with the functional windshield.
They appear to have almost identical windshield angles.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

LMAO!!! See, this is why these Bayliner threads are so great. people don't even realize what they're posting!

You don't consider calling your neighbor's Chevy a "lesser" car than your Cadillac to belittleing him??? What determines whether a car is "lesser" to you? Manufacturer's sticker price maybe? A great majority of the people I know (who aren't into how much something costs, but how well it performs, etc) don't consider it even to be possible to get a "lesser" car than a Cadallic! In value for the price, they're pretty close to the bottom. Maybe you consider people with boats other than yours to have "lesser" boats?

Well, now you hit the nail right on the head without even knowing it....LOL

My neighbor and I are very good friends. When either of us drives the brand spanking new car home and puts it in the driveway, the other goes over to look at it and comment how nice it is. He is as flattering about my DeVille and I am about his Malibu. See...no bashing, no belittleing, just respect. THERE's the rub....this thread is all about bashing...the Searay guys are outright telling thew Byliner guys that they own junk.

Summer Fun

Banned

the Searay guys are outright telling thew Byliner guys that they own junk.
No we are NOT !!. I've known most of the Bayliner guys for over 8yrs !!. :).
I just like to kidd with them since I went to Sea Ray. :D

They're a bunch of great guys and we poke fun at each other with NO meanest intended !!. :)

45Auto

Commander

jims123 said:
When either of us drives the brand spanking new car home and puts it in the driveway, the other goes over to look at it and comment how nice it is.

What did he say when you told him he had a lesser car than your Cadillac?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This thread has run it's course.

Say "Good Night Gracie"!

Closed

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bayliners have always been pretty as a moon rocket. They have not always been as well finished and detailed as they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.