any florida boaters on here

hemiman345

Cadet
i bought a used boat this afternoon out of state expired registration. fl law states you have 30 day to register a new boat and you can use your bill of sale until then. my question is does this apply to used boats as the tax collectors office was closed and i would like to run boat tommorow.

I search the threads did'nt find any info on florida

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: any florida boaters on here

Yes, it applies to used boats. Our tax collectors office used a manual to look up the title for the boat that I had bought with a Michigan registration and title. That assured them the document was correct for sale.

I have bought boats for resale and went past the 30 days to register it and paid a small fine.

Keep in mind you will be required to pay tax on the hull and trailer. If you have a way of breaking out the motor seperately it will save you some tax money.

The only time this will not apply is if it was bought from a dealer..

hemiman345

Cadet

cool thanks i'll take it out tommorow then. since I got it cheap and already have a tag for the trailer shouldn't be that much

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boat away!! You are all good.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

expired registration, not in your name will get you a big ticket in Florida. did you buy the boat in a title state, if so you will need the title. if not you will need a copy of the last registration.

triumphrick, did not say he took the boat out, he just registered it late.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

expired registration, not in your name will get you a big ticket in Florida. did you buy the boat in a title state, if so you will need the title. if not you will need a copy of the last registration.

triumphrick, did not say he took the boat out, he just registered it late.

Different story..especially if he is talking about the vessel registration, which now that I reread it I guess he is. What Tashasdaddy says here is correct....

hemiman345

Cadet

According to FWC you have 30 days after you buy a boat to register it. During this time you can legally use the boat with a copy of old registration and the bill of sale. I asked a state wildlife officer this morning. Doesn't matter if PO registration is valid or not according to this officer.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to respectfully disagree with the previous posters saying it is ok to use boat prior to registering into your name. You have thirty days to complete the changing of the title and reg into your name after the purchase date. Until the time of changing title you cannot use boat, unless previous owner lets you use it in his (or her) name and responsibility. Seeing that it is an expired reg then you can't use it legally at all.

If you sell any type of vehicle in Florida, as the seller, you are supposed to remove top section of title you have, fill out date and person you sold to, and send it in to the State. This way you are no longer responsible for said vehicle.

If you use boat prior to registering in Florida, you not only risk multiple tickets, but possible confiscation of vessel.

This is my understanding of Florida law.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, so what was that part about breaking the motor out separately? I need to register my toon very soon, maybe this week. Obviously it has an outboard on it.

Thx!!

hemiman345

Cadet

Response (LE-LC) 08/31/2009 02:05 PM
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV), "The purchaser of a new or used vessel has 30 days in which to apply for registration and title. During this 30 day period the owner is required to have aboard his vessel proof of date of purchase. Operation of an unregistered vessel after 30 days is a second-degree misdemeanor."

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission does not register or title vessels. Questions about boat, jet ski or personal watercraft registration and titling should be directed to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV). Vessel owners or perspective buyers can visit the DHSMV Web site at http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/faqboat.html to find answers to questions about vessel registration and titling.

Applications for vessel title and registration are to be filed by the vessel owner with the county tax collector's office (tag office) in the county where the vessel is located or in the county where the vessel owner resides. Please contact your county tax collector's office or the DHSMV for information about vessel titling and registration. There are links to the county tax collector's offices at http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/offices/.

this is the response from FWC and My tax collector said the same thing I have asked the DMV with no response yet. It would be kinda stupid for you to have to have the bill of sale on the boat if your not on the water.