How do I get a coast guard plate on my boat?

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice
i dont have a coast guard plate on my jon boat. the plate that says your max horsepower and how many people are allowed on the boat. where do i get another one?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do I get a coast guard plate on my boat?

what boat? need more info.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

If the manufacturer still exists, you may be able to get one from them. I had to get one that way for my Starcraft.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The only place to get one is from the manufacturer.

There were a few places on the net, that would print up a replacement for you, if you supplied the info' but their web sites are gone now.

Dank Xploidz

Seaman Apprentice

its a 1994 duracraft 1542 jon boat

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Then mfr MIGHT have it, and you should try them.

When I contacted Pro-Line about one for my 1985 (it's so corroded/faded that it's unreadable), they told me that they only keep enough on hand for the boats they manufacture in any given year, and trash any left over, so no replacements available. Nor did they have the original info. They weren't just blowing me off, either. A very nice woman there traded several e-mails with me. The best she could do was refer me to the NMMA, which she thought MIGHT have the original specs. From that, as mentioned above, I could get a new aftermarket plate made.

The guy I spoke to at the NMMA was very nice, too- but told me that they only retain that info for 10 years (at least, that's what I remember him saying).

In the end I was out of luck. By all means try Duranautic. Good luck!

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whats the big deal about having no plate?

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

I used to get this question all the time when I worked in the Office of Boating Safety.

First the law. The Capacity label is a manufacturer requirement, not an owner/operator requirement (unless you live in Pennsylvania, but that's another story) You can not be cited by anyone for not having the label. The difficulty comes from other sources. Insurance companies will void your insurance, if you try to sell the boat it can cause problems, law enforcement people like to see them so they know whether you boat is overloaded and so on. It's a good thing to have. Unfortunately they get power washed off or removed by someone and never seen again.

Here is what the USCG would tell you. First call Duracraft. They may be able to send you a new label. However since the boat is 14 years old they may not have them in stock anymore, and if they get their labels from NMMA they probably can't get any more for that boat. For boats made in 1994 they were only required to keep the boat in compliance for 5 years (now it is ten) so the odds are they won't have one.

If you run into a total stone wall call The USCG Office of Boating Safety at 202-372-1073 . Ask for **** Blackman, or Po Chang, or the boss, Phil Cappell. They may be able to help you. But they will need to know the make, model, model year, whether it has remote steering and so on. If you know what the capacities are that's good too.

You may end up having to have one made. This is not that difficult. There are companies that do that but they need to know the capacities. You may be able to find out that info from someone who owns a similar boat or from the BUC or NADA Used boat guides, or even on the internet. Good luck.