Catamaran vs. v-hull?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Catamaran vs. v-hull?

It looks easier to me, but I haven't done it. The long center bunks would appear to me to guide you all of the way on. This may only apply to the types here in the Desert Southwest, but when I see their empty trailers, I don't see how you could screw it up frankly, unless it was seriously too deep.

7742756.gif

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Depends on what kind of cat your talking about?

A big fishing cat or a off shore speed cat or a lake speed.

As for big offshore cats and little lake ones you won't get me on one.

I've seen them jump way too crazy from sponson to sponson and they really like to flip (remember to trim in not out when going faster)

But the big fishing cats seem nice.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hate to bump this thread but I'd really like to know if retrieving a catamaran is more difficult than a monohull

I've seen the cats being retrieved plenty of times and from what I have seen they are very easy to retrieve under normal conditions, don't know other wise. Line up the hulls and basically you're home free. Pull in and winch.

BTW, Adamf24, what kind of boat is that on your avatar? Hurricane?

Adamf24

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, it's a Hurricane SunDeck 237 Outboard

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I have a cat, and I think retrieving is about the same. The "advantage" is once you get the front lined up is just sort of goes on. They go on similar to a pontoon almost. Here is a shot of mine on the trailer.
DSCN1038.JPG

You can see the inner trailer bunks, once you slip the boat over those, done. As for ride, smoother than my 19' v-hull I had before. Some of that is due to size, but mostly it's due to the design and shape of the hull. Tons of room too; we've had 8 adults and two kids on this with no problem.