will Trim tabs help wakeboarding?

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting ready to buy a 20 foot runabout with the V8 and I was wondering if trim tabs would get me on plan faster when pulling a wake boarder at 20mph. If so, any recommendations on brands and are they easy to install.<br /><br />Thanks!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: will Trim tabs help wakeboarding?

Yes, they will help your boat plane faster. But they will not help with wakeboarding, because a fast planing boat completely defeats the whole purpose of wakeboarding. You want to create the biggest wake possible to make most wakeboarders happy...and that usually means NOT allowing the boat to plane, therefore running at slower speeds closer to 15 or 17 mph, adding more weight to the back, less to the front, trim motor up, put trim tabs UP (so, no I don't think they'd help create a larger wake), and plow across the lake at whatever speed puts the nose sky-high and leaves it there. Real watersports boats will pump 100's of gallons of water into tanks on board to help bog the back of the boat further down into the water for wakeboarding.<br /><br />But if you're talking about waterskiing? Just the opposite...flat wake and fast planing speed is what you want for that. And by all means trim tabs will help a boat plane faster and should flatten the wake a little bit. And on real watersports boats you'd pump the water tanks back out when it was the waterskiiers turn.<br /><br />As for brands? Many many people here seem to like Smart Tabs...cheap and easy to install...self-adjusting which is nice, but you can't manually adjust them on the fly if you want to do something special with them. For 2 or 3 times the price you can get conventional trim tabs with electronic actuators and controls on the dash...harder to install because of the electronics, but you can fine-tune on the fly with the push of a button.<br /><br />I honestly have no personal experience with any to be able to offer a specific recommendation.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd think manually adjustable tabs WOULD work to help with boarding. Use them to get on plane quickly and then trim them the opposite way so you're forcing the back end down, thereby creating a bigger wake...<br /><br />No actual experience here either... <br /><br />But definately not smart tabs, I'd think.

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, so maybe using trim tabs to put the front down and use the power trim to force the back down into the water for a better wake. Maybe?

tommays

Admiral

QC is doing it with adjustable tabs and seems very happy with the results<br /><br /> i dont no if smart tabs would give you the all around performance you need when your not sking<br /><br /><br />with out any tabs you will find that the boat will eather want to run to fast or to slow and be very hard to keep at a steady wakeboard speed<br /><br />you will find 20 to be very fast most people i ski with like the 15 to 18 mph range<br /><br />tommays

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, would I benefit more from power trim tabs? I actually do wake board at 20mph but I am also 205lbs.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, as tommays has said, I have been very successful using adjustable tabs for wakeboarding. I have a 23 footer, I/O with very big tabs, almost like k-planes. They allow me to maintain a plane at very low speeds (13 - 14 mph). I can make a really good wake AND maintain speed, can do similar things at 20 mph. You can leave the tabs down and trim the drive out or just slow waaaay down with trim all the way down and tabs all the way down. I had a very light 20 footer (kinda like tommays boat, but an I/O) with tabs and I could dig a decent hole and make a decent wake. Go for it. Bennett's or Lenco's for this application if you ask me.<br /><br />
036%20tab.jpg

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

QC, what brand are the tabs your using?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Mine are from Eddie Marine. They are kinda a poorman's k-plane. My only complaint is that they take a little work to get them to retract all of the way. No problem if on-plane, but sometimes when I go to put it on the trailer they won't quite retract all of the way unless I have someone pull up on them. Other than that (which again doesn't happen while actually using them underway) they have been very good.

salty87

Commander

they should help. they'll allow you to go slower and still be on plane = bigger wake than without them. more weight will help, tabs will help you there too.