Fisher boats vs. Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, etc.?

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer
Just wondering if anyone has any objective opinions (no brand bashing please) about how Fisher boats stack up against some of the "known good" brands (my opinion anyways!) such as Lund, Alumacraft & Crestliner? Looking at a '99 Hawk 20' with a 200 hp Merc EFI, but it is a good distance from where I live and don't know anyone who has owned one of these. Thanks very much!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fisher boats vs. Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, etc.?

Fisher is nearly identical to Tracker. So if you like Tracker, then the Fisher will be fine for you. Not as stylish as Lund. Besides, for shopping for used boats, it's condition, condition, condition :) <br /><br />Kelly Cook

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Tracker, huh? Hmmmm, don't know if I'm going to like that after fishing an older ('91) Alumacraft. Guess I shouldn't knock them, as I haven't been in one before, but my impression of them is that they look a little "cheaper" than the makes I was using for my baseline comparisons. Is this kind of what you were getting at without coming out and saying it? Thanks for the reply!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

My own Tracker was Ok. It was the standard issue "Pro Team" bass boat. Good bang-for-the-buck. But one was enuf for me. The newer Tracker TARGA models are a substantial improvement over the entry level Trackers. Frankly I would much rather have a Tracker Targa than a Crestliner. But there is no Fisher dealer near me. I don't know if Fisher has models equivalent to the Targas.<br /><br />So no simple answer,<br />Kelly

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, those new ones with the drawn(?) aluminum hulls look pretty trick! I also know someone who has a pretty old Tracker aluminum bass boat, and it is a good, solid boat.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

A while back I had a 12' Fisher. I would say that build quality wise it was equal to the current 12' Lund.<br /><br />It was a good solid boat and took a beating well. A few rivets leaked a bit after a while. It didn't take much to get em to stop though.<br /><br />My opinion is that Fisher is a good boat on par with Lund. Just keep in mind I only have experience with 12 footers.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I believe the molded boats got the "Tundra" label. Targas, as far as I know, are conventional construction. Some Targas are welded, some are not. Personally I never had any problems with rivets. But for a high speed tin boat welded would be the only way to go.<br /><br />Kelly

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah, I think you're right about the Tundra thing.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a used Fisher 18 ft. aluminum center console. It's a pretty good boat, seems to be made well. It leaks pretty bad but that seems to be because the guy that had it before me beat the crap out of it. It seems to be a pretty well made boat though. Set up pretty well too. Live well, plenty of storage, lockable rod lockers, made to be a fish catching machine. Definatley rides well... alot better than my 22 foot walk around.

Justpickin3

Recruit

I own a 1991 16' hawk 2V made by fisher and I cant find anything wrong with it at all. Its just as good as lund or all the reast of em. no leaks ,very stable, lots of fun

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Same as I stated in another post..... I have an older "original fisher" before they were bought out by tracker marine. Mine is all aluminum..... aluminum decks too which equals no floor rot. Mine is the SV 18 GT DC. It is stable for it's size but lacks rod storage. I have been looging at the xpress line recently. The "newer fisher" has wood decks.

I would endorse an older fisher but the newer ones are bass trackers by birth abd you MUST pay attention to the wood rot.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Crestliner is all welded and will not leak. I love my 21 foot 1980 Crestliner. Wish they still made the 24 footer with reverse chimes.

fisherhawk

Recruit

I have a 2000 170fs hawk I was nervous about buying it since it was made under the tracker name. But I found it to ride very will in rough water and also the hole shot is impressive. It is powered by a 90hp merc and runs about 41mph. I hit a unmarked wingdam 8th fool to hit it in a week I am told by the DNR and punched two holes in the front of the hull about 1inch by 6. I took it apart this weekend and was impressed with how well it was built no wood all aluminum deck just like they said and the hull was 11 gauge. I was able to weld it all back with no leaks and I am taking it out this weekend to run it again. I would diffently by Fisher again.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same as I stated in another post..... I have an older "original fisher" before they were bought out by tracker marine. Mine is all aluminum..... aluminum decks too which equals no floor rot. Mine is the SV 18 GT DC. It is stable for it's size but lacks rod storage. I have been looging at the xpress line recently. The "newer fisher" has wood decks.

I would endorse an older fisher but the newer ones are bass trackers by birth abd you MUST pay attention to the wood rot.

I also have a SV-18GT that I bought new in 1991, and it is very well built.
The only wood in the whole boat is 2 trim pieces made of teak, one at the bow and one at the stern. Under the floor any spot that is not used for storage is filled with 2 part foam so it won't sink.
The only issue I had with it is with the permanent seat mounts cracking due to metal fatigue. It's very stable and handles rough water quite well, although you have to take it easy.