Does Waxing Bottom of Boat really help Performance???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonM1955

Cadet
I've heard people say that waxing the bottom of a boat will give you a few mph increase, is there any truth to this? The bottom of my boat is a little rough compared to the sides, I guess it is wear and tear over the years and running through shallow water and hitting bottom. Any suggestions on how to smooth it up?<br />Thanks:<br />Jason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does Waxing Bottom of Boat really help Performance???

Hi, Jason.<br /><br />I know from my own experience that a dirty/mossy bottom reduces speed, but have only cleaned and buffed it, no wax.<br /><br />I have been told by guys who race their boats or struggle to get every last foot per minute of top end that wax slows the boat. Their argument is that a very clean and slightly rough (like #400 wet paper) surface captures a surface layer of water and the resulting friction is less than a water/wax interface.<br /><br />I think these guys know whereof they speak. Think about a golf ball, which has less drag than a smooth ball of the same size.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

the more drag your hull has the more speed it<br />loses. get a gel-coat repair kit for nics, deep<br />scratches, and a good hull cleaning and wax.<br />it may add a couple MPH's at the most, but more<br />important will prolong the life of your boat.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,<br /><br />Actually, I have read that waxing it would cause it to slow you down some because the boat wants the "stick" to the water. Someone on here said that lightly sanding the hull would make you go faster. It is an old sailboaters trick because the water would stay in the rough spots and make it where it is more water on water than water on boat. I haven't had any experience with either myself so just take this for what it's worth. I'm sure someone who has tried this will reply soon. <br /><br />James

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry guys I should read the whole post before I reply. JB already said that :rolleyes: <br /><br />James

JasonM1955

Cadet

Thanks Guys,<br />The hull of the boat is very clean but it just has some scratches on it from running on sand from time to time I guess. I'll try to sand it with the 400 grit paper and see what happens.<br />Later:<br />Jason

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JasonM1955,<br /><br /> What kind of boat do you have. Normally, waxing the pad doesnt increase the top speed of a boat. <br /><br /> Actually a slight rough bottom will result in the best speeds... Some people even lightly sand the pad of a boat in the direction the boat<br />travels for that extra 2-3 mph... The faster the <br />boat the better the results.<br /><br /> What happens is the rough surface trapps small<br />air bubbles between the hull and the water. The<br />friction from the water is reduced due less wetted surface on the boat ( not as much boat <br />touching the water). With less boat touching the water there is less friction which results in a increase in output ( SPEED )<br /><br /> Waxing the bottom allows the water to come in contact with more of the bottom which causes more friction. Friction causes a loss in energy, energy that could be used for an increase in speed.<br /><br />Im not a scientist BUT I did stay in a Holiday Inn. :D <br /><br />P.S. A boat will travel faster on water with a slight chop instead of calm mirror still water. Its the same principle, the chop allows more air under the boat = less wetted surface. :eek:

JasonM1955

Cadet

bkelly,<br />The boat is a 1985 Sunbird, 17' with a 135 evinrude on it<br />Thanks for the info:<br />Jason

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Now I've heard everything...almost. Weird physics indeed. If waxing is useless, let's see you surf on a sanded board. Ain't no way. Just my 2 cents of rocket science (NOT!)<br />Wax the bottom. It can't hurt anything but your shoulders.

durk187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would not wax the pad. Let me qualify this in that I have no data to back this up, but I am an engineer with some fluid dynamics background. Here is why I say not to wax the pad. When fluid flows over the surface at relatively low speeds, (speeds that a typical boat would run are relatively low compared to many other applications such as air over a jetliner wing), it flows in what is called a laminar flow pattern. Essentially it flows smoothly and evenly over the surface. This smooth flow has a particular drag coefficient. When the flow reaches a high enough speed the flow pattern changes to what is known as turbulent flow. <br />Under turbulent flow conditions the drag coefficient is significantly reduced as compared to the drag coefficient under laminar flow conditions. Here is where waxing comes in: Turbulence at the surface/fluid interface can be induced at lower velocities by roughness of the surface. In other words, a smooth surface would facilitate a smoother flow pattern and thus higher drag than a rough surface. As JB mentioned one of the best practical examples of this effect is golf balls. The first solid golf balls were smooth with no dimples. It did not take the pros of that day long to figure out that a ball that had been hit several time, scuffing up the surface, would fly farther than a new ball right out of the box. Pros began to use their practice rounds to hit all of the balls that they would use in the actual tournament rounds to scuff them up before the tournament began. Once the manufacturers understood what the pros were doing they began to produce balls with the pre-made "scuffs" and thus the birth of the modern dimpled golf ball.<br /><br />My conclusion is that I would not wax the pad on a boat. I do not know if a typical boat's speeds are fast enough to take advantage of this effect of the surface roughness, but if so you will gain. If not, you will lose nothing.

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You know, there are thousands of engineers out there, working on boats materials, shapes and performance every day. They did not start on that yesterday, and my guess is that if is was better with a rough surface then they would sell the boats that way. They go far in testing and experimenting to get performance of the boats they are working on. Everyone, except for the gas companies, are interested in low friction and higher performance. I think you should do some more searching on this subject before you go out and grind your boats bottom with sand paper.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Jason It is true that boats setting speed records do go faster with a little chop and the hulls are designed to direct air under the hull and lift the hull out of the water. It is also true that Americia's Cups boats wax and polish their hulls before every race. Buy some good teflon wax and try a small area then get a wet rag and slide over it and see if you can feel the difference. You will never see a ski racer go with out wax. They also have some structure in the ski to help break surface tension. Bottom line is at most looking at a very small difference but it can make a big difference in life and looks of your boat and if you hit something if it slides off on digs in.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I did some experimenting last year and sanding the hull with 400 has the absolute best results.<br /><br />Fountain high performance boats were actually tested and small 1/8" holes were placed in the pad and the speed increased (yup the golf ball again).<br /><br />The primary reason manufacturers do not do this is fouling. A sanded hull will foul faster than normal and is harder to maintain.<br /><br />There are products that increase speed but as we all know Speed Costs Money, How Fast You Want To Go????? :D Check out this web site and there are simalar products on the market: http://www.hheadproducts.com/seaslide.htm <br /><br />The net result of all the work and money is minor and unless tou are making money doing it you just might be wasting money.<br /><br />Bob :cool:

RushFan77

Recruit
Hi guys , I came across this forum looking for this exact info. This is my first bass boat and first fiberglass boat. Since bass boats dont always have the full hull on the water at top speed. Does theory also apply to them or is it more for bigger boats that run more hull in the water. Thanks. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A thread from 2002. The wax was worn off long ago with 17 years of use.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.