Livewell AUTO Feature

Barkin Buddy

Cadet
I've owned my '89 Bass Tracker 1800 FS for about 2 years now and finally have the chance to get the livewells working. The pumps are not working and the valve cable levers are broken from the valves. My problem is that I don't know how it all worked originally. The pics show the way it is plumbed.

To fill it looks simple. Pull the knob to 'FILL' position to close off tube no. 2 and flip the aerator switch to "MANUAL". Turn the aerator off when it reaches the overflow. I don't see any reason to plug the livewell to keep it filled unless the valve leaks.

Draining looks simple too. Push the knob to 'DRAIN' which opens the valve completely to drain it. Guessing the boat has to be on plane to drain though.

How do you operate the "AUTO" feature? Is this for re-circulation? Is there a timer? I'm not sure how a 2-position, open or closed valve like this would allow for re-circulation. Is something missing? I have a feeling the 'SENSITIVETY' dial is for the old depth sounder but suppose it could be for the livewell.

I want to buy new valves and if I can't get the pumps going then buy some new pumps. Can anyone recommend a valve style. I figure a FLOW-RITE brand type 1 valve would be the correct replacement.

I look forward to any input.

Attachments

• photo325236.jpg
    photo325236.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo325237.jpg
    photo325237.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 4
  • photo325238.jpg
    photo325238.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 4

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Manual and auto features are quite simple. In the MANUAL mode the pump runs continuously. In the AUTO mode the pump runs at timed intervals -- typically one or two minute run time and three minutes or so off. It is very possible the sensitivity knob controls this on-off time. With the livewell system you sketched, the drain would not need a plug but you would need to drain it under way and then close the drain valve. If the bottom livewell is lower than the water level outside the boat, water would only drain to that level at rest and unless the valve is closed, water level would equalize as soon as you stopped the boat after being on-plane. There are lots of after-market cables that can be used to operate the valve.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Unless you are doing tournament fishing, most likely for Bas ass those livewells are too small for most other species there is no reason to mess with a livewell. If you are using it to keep fish fresh for the table again no need for a livewell. Especially if water temps are higher than 60F. Any temps higher than that and you are slowly cooking your fish not keeping them fresh. We simply put large soda bottles frozen in the live wells and put our fish under them. The best way to keep fish fresh in a boat. They are built in coolers. always have nice ice cold water on hand too.

Why do you need the livewells for?

Barkin Buddy

Cadet
Thanks Silvertip. Makes perfect sense now. I bet you are right about the sensitivity dial too.

I see what you are saying Old Ironmaker. Frequently I push the limits and fish too long and then I don't have time to clean'em. It gives me a chance to either throw them back if they are still in good shape or give them to someone at the dock if not. Happy wife, happy life.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
II want to buy new valves and if I can't get the pumps going then buy some new pumps. Can anyone recommend a valve style. I figure a FLOW-RITE brand type 1 valve would be the correct replacement.

I look forward to any input.
The oxygen content of water decreases as temperature increase. To counter the loss of oxygen you need to increase the flow of "fresh" water significantly. Re-circulation systems don't cut it in warm water.

I run Rule tournament pumps (1100 gph) in both the live and bait wells with scope type thru hull intakes. The intakes, combined with the effects of tide, typically provide a sufficient flow of "freshwater" even when anchored.

Our water temps are in the mid 80's by the end of June when live lining takes off. I have no problem keeping 15-20, 4-6" bait fish alive for the day.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've built and used aerated live wells myself and have had many times where the fish I caught were still not only alive, but splashing very rigorously when I arrived home hours later. So live well do work. A variable timer to aerate the live well with fresh water is the best way through spray bar. A simple recirculating system doesn't pull in fresh water, only re-pumps the same water. So the best idea is to use a timer setup that you can control the time intervals and make sure it pulls in fresh water. Adding frozen water bottle in the summer heat can't hurt either. JMHO!

Barkin Buddy

Cadet
Thanks dingbat and gm280. I believe my wells are already set up for timed fresh water circulation...I just need to get them up and running again. I'll certainly try the frozen bottle trick.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My baitwell and live wells in my StarCraft Superfisherman 190 has a very simple recirculation system. There is a toggle on the dash for the baitwell and the 2 livewells. In the wells there is a plastic stand pipe that plugs the drain hole in the bottom of the well. I open a fill pet **** in the well and select "fill" once full set to recirc and it comes on occasionally and over flows over the stand pipe or select off. Most systems are similar. The problem with using the recirc system 100% of the time is that plus running all the electronics when the boat isn't running is the battery could die. SonarX3, livewells, VHF radio and CD/AM/FM. Doesn't take long to kill the battery. I have always wanted to provide a second battery dedicated to electrnics. On the "to do" list.Something you may want to think about doing if you are going to use the livewells 100% of the time.

. I hear you when you want to release fish in good condition at the end of the day but in the dog days of summer when water temps are in the high 70's I still don't want the fish to go off. If I'm not sure if I am going to keep a fish I release it immediately. The Walleye we hunt for here on Erie are very big, they hardly fit in the livewells thus I keep our limit and just put them on the frozen water bottles.

A good tip if you are going to use the livewell is to flush it out with clean water after it has had fish in it. If not they can stink to high heaven a few days latter. That's the bacteria that smells, not good for the next bunch of fish.

Last edited: