12 foot Gregor w/15 hp Honda

droolbot

Seaman
Not very experienced with boating, have a question about engine size/weight. I have a Gregor 12 foot aluminum boat with a Honda 15 hp 4 stroke. Took it to the water once but did not get it away from the dock for various reasons too embarrassing to mention. But, when I stepped into the boat it looked to be far to low in the back. The boat is rated for up to either 20 or 25 hp, so hp wise I am good. I weigh approx 270 lbs. Still plan on trying to give it a go this season, but anybody out there have experience with this combination on this size boat? Not sure how much room there should be between top of transom and water to be safe. I have a 9.9 two stroke which ways much less, but spent quite a bit on the Honda so really want it to work...lol.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Can you get an extended tiller and sit forward one seat? That would center the weight and probably make for better handling. They normally run under $35-$40 for the handle.

Be safe and have fun!!

ahicks

Captain
What you need to keep in mind is it's not just about the HP rating, there's a weight factor as well. The fact you're a big guy (me too!) isn't helping a thing. The smaller the boat, the more critical the situation.

I'm a little shy of your boat and motor combo for use with your weight. I'm sure it's possible, but I'd be looking for something different. That's me though..... -Al

mr 88

Commander
Can you get an extended tiller and sit forward one seat? That would center the weight and probably make for better handling. They normally run under $35-$40 for the handle.

Be safe and have fun!!

Either this , a bigger boat or hit up the gym. Between any engine and your weight on the back of a 12 ' hull the end result will be the same. Even if you put everything else not bolted down in front of the bow seat the outcome will not change. I recommend a bigger boat , preferably 16' and with a mid console vs tiller steering setup.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Add your weight to the weight of the motor and gear and compare that value to the max capacity on the boat's CG plate. That will tell you where you stand in relation to what's safe.

droolbot

Seaman
It is well under the weight capacity. Concern is that nearly half of capacity at back of boat.