Minn Kota trolling motor running slow

I have a 65lb thrust minn Kota maxxum that’s running slow. I tested that battery and they are charged and on a guest batter charger but the motor hardly runs. Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Howdy.

How did you test the battery? With a meter or a load test?

Have you cleaned all of the power and ground connections from the posts to the TM?

Thanks for the response! I have tested them with a Schumacher load/ volt meter. All teated good they are all new as of July. I have not cleaned any thing but they all looked pretty good.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... Remove, clean to shiny metal Clean, All of the wirin' connections, 'n try it,......

No matter how clean they look now,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
battery connections need to be cleaned with sand paper or a wire brush until they are shiny enough your mother will eat off them. then once the connection is made, you need to seal the connection with a marine electrical varnish (available at any battery shop or electrical shop)

your trolling motor could also be shot.

I didn't see anything in the original post, so I'll just throw it out there. Make sure that you've taken the nut off of the prop and checked for fishing line, weeds, and other junk that could be physically preventing the prop from spinning at full speed. It may not be a battery/power issue.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
If your foot pedal has the sliding infinite speed control it is not uncommon for the contacts on the speed control to get dirty and not work properly, and the contacts on the momentary on/off part of the pedal. If you have compressed air give the pedal a quick blow out, or disassemble and clean.

Also, if you have a plug to disconnect the motor, make sure those contacts are clean and not melted or deformed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Testing batteries with a voltmeter is of no value unless the batteries are under load -- meaning the motor in the water and running. A very weak battery (as in dying) can show 12 volts but under load drop significant. If you don't know how to do this, charge the batteries and take them to any auto store for a load test.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You didn't mention what boat you are using the troller on or how old the unit is. I've seen many fail because they are under powered for the weight they are trying to move. Like mine. The problem may be in the controller and not the motor itself, in my experience the controllers generally fail first. I see many fail prematurly on boats that the Capt. drive hard, hammering water continually can play havoc on intricate electronic connections. You should remove the motor shroud and take a look at the connections, hopefully it may be a simple fix. If you have done all the great suggestions above it may be past it's best before date like most consumer products are today, especially electronics unfortunately.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had an ol minn kota stern mount 35lb gasket wore out on motor housing. got water inside around prop shaft

it. still ran. slower 😉