Boating in Nassau County, NY (South Shore)

Sundancer1988

Recruit
Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I am not new to boating but new to the boating community here in the South Shore of Nassau County, NY. I use to have a 26 foot Sea Ray Sundancer and sold it 6 years ago. Despite all the sometimes headaches, I miss it tremendously after having the boat 13 years, moving to Florida and back. I moved back to NY because of a job transfer $$$ +.

I recently was back in my old neighborhood in Hernando County, Fl and a good friend of my Dads is selling his 2001 29 Sundancer because of illness. The boat which he purchased new is in pristine condition both mechanically/ cosmetically, kept on a lift out of the water and never been bottom painted.

I have this strong desire to buy it but I don't know much about the marinas in the area. I don't have a trailer for it and wonder if there's even such a thing as being allowed to work on your boat such as washing, waxing, detailing and outdrive seasonal maintenance which I have always been use to doing myself. I don't want to start calling marinas or visiting them but rather defer to the experts here.

Any suggestions short of keeping a 29 foot boat on the side of the house is appreciated, which my wife said "NO" to already. :lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So you want us to do the work for you? Call and visit to form your own opinion.

Sundancer1988

Recruit
never said that I wanted anyone working for me. I have been working for myself for many years but thanks for the courtesy !

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't want to start calling marinas or visiting them but rather defer to the experts here.

A difference in perception, perhaps?

Do some legwork, then ask if we have any opinion about any of the places to talk to or look at.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have ALWAYS kept my boat along side my house and being able to do a little here and a little there when i have a few extra minutes has always been a big plus.My wife is on board with it as she also has her jobs/tasks that she likes to do in the cabin and cockpit.Boatyards are great however everything becomes a task of having enough time and having the right tools/waxes/cleaning solutions etc with you.Waaaaay easier to walk 10 feet into my garage and grab what I need or yell HONEY!!!!!!! and assistance appears.Every boatyard is going to have different policies re performing your own maintenance.They will ALL surely have a policy on outside vendors where they either dont allow or they include 15% of your bill for themselves.Nassau county especially .If you are close to Suffolk county borderline I would suggest the east travel to save some $$ and less strict on marina policies.As far as the 29 Searay,I have a friend that had one and was quite happy with the actual boat however was not happy with the fact of having V6s instead of 8s ,and no a/c or generator which seemed to be the way most of those 29s were built.Charlie

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have ALWAYS kept my boat along side my house and being able to do a little here and a little there when i have a few extra minutes has always been a big plus.My wife is on board with it as she also has her jobs/tasks that she likes to do in the cabin and cockpit.Boatyards are great however everything becomes a task of having enough time and having the right tools/waxes/cleaning solutions etc with you.Waaaaay easier to walk 10 feet into my garage and grab what I need or yell HONEY!!!!!!! and assistance appears.Every boatyard is going to have different policies re performing your own maintenance.They will ALL surely have a policy on outside vendors where they either dont allow or they include 15% of your bill for themselves.Nassau county especially .If you are close to Suffolk county borderline I would suggest the east travel to save some $$ and less strict on marina policies.As far as the 29 Searay,I have a friend that had one and was quite happy with the actual boat however was not happy with the fact of having V6s instead of 8s ,and no a/c or generator which seemed to be the way most of those 29s were built.Charlie

That's one of several reasons I never used a marina to keep my boat....course being 18' or less with my boats over the years, that's easy for me to say.....29 footer, I doubt it. Other thing is I keep them under permanent cover and preferably, like now, in my shop out of the weather, and the elements.