What batteries should I buy?

I have a 2000 Crownline 266br, 7.4 MPI with dual batteries. The batteries will be 3 years old this Fall. I dock my boat and run a trickle charge after every use. I do not have any extensive electronics and never anchor longer than 1-2 hours.

What type of batteries should I be looking to buy? I see they range from $100 to $200 each which I am not looking forward to.

Also, is it worth getting a load test on the current batteries or should they be replaced because of age?

roffey

Commander
My vote is test the current batteries. Most places dont charge for it, I bet you could even borrow a tester and take it to the boat. Next question is what do you use the batteries for? I am assuming you are looking for deep cycle batteries...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Buying batteries can be a chore and confusing, so many brands and types to choose from. But be aware that I have come to learn that more than 60% of manufactured batteries for automotive and marine in North America are all manufactured by the same company. I'm having an oldtimers moment and can't recall the company name. Someone will chime in I am sure. I always bought faithfully Die Hard. Then I learned that they do not make batteries. Say what? They are distributers of other company's batteries. Always have been, so when you buy Die Hard you really don't know what you have. But they distribute good quality batteries that I do know.

To answer your question Capt. Jack I would not think your batteries have outlasted their shelf life at only 3 years old. We live in southern Ontario Canada and can have bad winters. I have had Die Hard's last 8 winters on a car. Get your batteries tested by a trusted technician and they will let you know how they are. I always carry a well charged battery booster in the boat and keep it in the car in winter. I only had to get stranded once to learn my lesson. One can charge PC's as well as mobile phones on todays boosters and they are small so they don't take up much space the boat at all. Mine actually has a very strong flashing light on it as well. Supposed to be able to boost a big block V-8. I will never go out on the boat without my booster fully charged ready to go. Good peace of mind for a 100 bucks or less. So if you have good batteries get smart and buy a good quality booster.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Capt. Joe. I must correct myself. Not Die Hard batteries it is Interstate Battery company I meant to say. Too late to edit my post. My appologies to you Joe and to Die Hard, which by the way are a quality battery. In my mind I saw Interstate and my fingers typed Die Hard.

When I say have your batteries tested by a trusted technician many unscrupulous battery retailers have been known to tell a customer they need a new battery when they do not. Sad today you can't even trust a mechanic at times. A national TV network did one of those undercover customer stories and many batteries were either diagnosed wrong or they were cheating the customer.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’ve run two grp. 27 deep cycles batteries for years. Provides 750 cranking amps each, 1500 amps when combined. More than enough to start the motor and each provides 160 reverse capacity when needed.

Brand wise, I stick with AC Delco Voyager or Interstate SRM series batteries. Currently have one of each on the boat. The Voyager has a 3/10 date code. The Interstate has a 4/11 date code

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As far as "type" for a dual setup you need 1 deep cycle and 1 dual purpose.

As far as brand, what's best changes all the time.

The shortest battery life I ever had on a boat was 8 years. The longest was 12, and I sold the boat while it was still going strong. I have an old classic car in the garage that gets driven very infrequently and only on sunny days. When I replaced the battery last year (just because) it was 24 years old and still had a full charge. It NEVER was put on a trickle charger and come Spring I just drove the car a few hours and it never needed charging. That was a Die Hard, but I don't think they are as good as they used to be.

The worst battery I ever bought (recently) was an Interstate. Didn't last a year.

The best current manufacture battery I have bought is an AutoZone Duralast.

I don't believe in trickle chargers. In the winter I test and recharge monthly as necessary. If it goes down more than 10-15% in a month I know it won't last and I replace it.