2019 218 DLV Bow Eye!!

thetechguy1

Recruit
I bought my 2019 218DLV on 7/3/19 and about a month in I noticed the bow eye wasn't a complete seal. I called my dealer and they said it looked fine since there wasn't stress cracks and to apply a marine sealant which I did. This weekend when I was trailering my boat from the water I saw what looks like my bow eye trying to come out of the boat. What are your thoughts on if it's a big deal/what to do? Photo is attached from this weekend.

kpotb3dl9ek31.jpg

Grub54891

Admiral
This is a new boat. That should not be happening. The dealer is a hack if they just told you to glob that sealer on there.
Take it back and have them fix it right. It should involve removing the bow eye completely, re-bedding it, and making sure the backing inside is not compromised or missing.
The way it is now will damage the boat, and could cause the boat to leave the trailer while underway. Not a good situation.

roffey

Commander
I agree with Grub54891 100 percent. Wow, if that were my new boat I would park it in his lot and say fix it. I was told "stress cracks" may not be stress cracks. Your issue is a defect or design flaw. I bought my boat brand new and I try and keep it looking that way.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Same here, it needs to be removed, cleaned, sealed and reinstalled I'd be afraid to back to that dealer, might want to contact the manufacturer directly to let them now what kind of dealer that is and ask for there help

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Only place you should be taking that boat next is the dealer. That is unsafe and totally not acceptable, I bought a brand new 2018 this year and I could not imagine that happening. I am glad I just had a recall part they claimed they checked.

You should have the dealer replace it or have they pay someone else to do it since they seem unable to know how to properly fix things by the 'just seal it' direction.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would have hung up on the dealer and immediately called whoever makes a 218DLV. That dealer needs to hear from the builder! A lot of good the safety chain gonna do when the bow eye is falling off! Hope you have stern tie-downs for trip to another dealer.

roffey

Commander
It's odd the dealer would say the repair is not covered as they bill the manufacturer. I wonder if it the damage was a result of transport or occurred on his lot and went unnoticed, now the dealer is on the hook so to speak. You would think the manufacturer would catch that in QC at the factory?

Is the boat a Carolina Skiff? if so correct me if I'm wrong but they are a top quality boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Talk to the dealer about what they are going to do to make it right, explain to them that it will make a difference when you write your online review.

thetechguy1

Recruit
This is a new boat. That should not be happening. The dealer is a hack if they just told you to glob that sealer on there.
Take it back and have them fix it right. It should involve removing the bow eye completely, re-bedding it, and making sure the backing inside is not compromised or missing.
The way it is now will damage the boat, and could cause the boat to leave the trailer while underway. Not a good situation.

i totally agree!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's not a simple re-bedding and screw-her-down fix. The hull could be compromised. There needs to be some re-glassing and a sturdy backer put in. I would worry that some of the hull layup might be defective.

Accessing the back of the eye is usually a problem. There may be upholstery that needs to be removed. I suspect that's why the dealer was so curt because he knew it would be a big job.

Contacting the dealer should be the second effort. A stern call to the manufacturer is in order.

Many years ago two friends of mine had a similar problems with boats of different manufacture. Both had to have the hulls replaced and both went back to the factory.

Don't wait too long...