06 Targa, live well won’t shut off

Bwpartridge

Recruit
Live well won’t shut off. Switched the pump over to bilge pump circuit and it works fine. So not the pump. Pulled all wires from switch and it still runs. Moved all wires over to adjacent working three way switch and nothing changes. So not the switch. I’m starting to question the live well timer. There is no float switch. Can’t see any source of short. All wires in conduit. No chafing. Any thoughts??

Bondo

Staff member
I’m starting to question the live well timer.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... That, ^^^, would be the next common senseacal place to look for the problem,......

Does the timer get power from somewhere other than the switch ya unhooked,..??
Seems it must,..??

Bwpartridge

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. I suppose it would be because it’s tied into the leads coming to the switch. When I pull the timer it’s still runs though. I’m still new at wrapping my head around how the power sequence goes. I can pull the fuse and it shuts off put I pull everything else and it stays running.

Bondo

Staff member
I’m still new at wrapping my head around how the power sequence goes.

Ayuh,..... In the 12v world, pumps, 'n most things can be fed from several points with switches or relays,...

Donno yer set up, so not really much help,.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Live well pumps are generally controlled by a an ON-OFF-ON three position switch. That switch will normally be labeled MAN (manual) -- OFF (all circuits off) -- and AUTO. In manual mode the pumps runs continuously. It is the auto position that powers the timer which runs for a specific amount of time and then shuts off. Some timers have a knob with which you can adjust the off-run time. If you pulled the timer and the pump still runs, then there has to be a 12 volt feed to either or both circuits. Pull the center (+12 volt) wire on the switch. Without power to the switch the pump should quit. If not, then the +12 volt circuit to the pump is getting back fed from another circuit. Lastly -- did this problem just appear or has it always been wonky?

Bwpartridge

Recruit
It’s just appeared. Pulled the boat out of the water after an evening of not using the well and noticed the pump running on the trailer. I don’t see where a short would emanate from besides chafing but all wiring is in conduit.

ahicks

Captain
When common sense fails, and troubleshooting attempts exhausted, some times you're further ahead just re-wiring. That can often be WAY faster/easier than banging your head against a wall.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It’s just appeared. Pulled the boat out of the water after an evening of not using the well and noticed the pump running on the trailer. I don’t see where a short would emanate from besides chafing but all wiring is in conduit.

It is NOT a short. Short circuits blow fuses and that apparently is not happening. Backfeeding is not a short circuit but best described as a crossed circuit. A boat gets tossed around on the water and on the trailer. Just because a wire is in conduit does not mean it cannot be chaffed. Very often that happens where the wire enters or leaves the chase/conduit.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Back feeding a circuit is rarely a problem with the wiring. Nine out of ten times a failed or failing “control” is to blame. Three way switches and timers are prime suspects.

Pretty easy to narrow down if you have a meter.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
But he said the timer was pulled and it continued to run. Wires pulled off the switch and it continued to run. Pulled the fuse and it stopped. So the issue is between the fuse and the positive lead to the motor. Provided there are not splices with other wires or junctions along the route, that leaves a "cross" which may actually happen with a single strand of wire peeking out of teminal and touching another.

Bwpartridge

Recruit
Ok, thanks everyone for the input. So I ended up connecting the pump directly to the switch with a long jumper and found it to work properly. I then reconnected the original set up and cut the wire in the storage area by the throttle control and ran the wire from there to avoid snaking through the rear storage. Everything with the live well now works perfectly, EXCEPT I just went out the other night and my stern light mysteriously doesn't work. Bow light does work. I can put the bow light in the stern socket and it doesn't work, butttt when I put the stern light in the forward socket it also doesn't work. Both bulbs are good. Whats going on here? Did I mess up the circuitry in the pump bypass project?