Optima Batteries not charging fully

BerlinKhan

Banned
Hello everyone,,,
my boat has 2 D34M BlueTop deep cycle batteries . No matter how hard I try i can't get them to charge past 12.5 volts resting voltage. I read on the website these batteries are supposed to be at 13.0 to 13.2

the batteries are only 1 year old. I've been using my 6/2 amp smart charger.... it shows they are charged. this is my charger: http://www.sears.com/plus-start-batt...FU9LAQod13cLdw

I also used a neighbors 15/2 amp charger and it shows they are charged as well.

Do you think I'm using the wrong chargers, I'm just trying to exhaust my efforts before I warranty them.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I read on the website these batteries are supposed to be at 13.0 to 13.2

Where does it say that on what website? I think you are chasing ghosts.

eric102

Seaman
The Optima is an AGM battery, is that charger compatible with AGM? If not you probably voided the warranty.

At rest my brand new AGM batteries are between 12.6 and 12.7 volts fully charged with the charger off, so your 12.5 volts isn't that bad.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
12.6 to 12.7 is fully charged. 12.5 really isn't that bad and could just mean that your meter is a little off. No 12v lead acid battery will have a resting voltage of 13 or more. That sounds more like a float voltage.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
AGMs do have their Quirks when charging, especially if you are trying to charge one that is below 10 volts or so.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you couldnt pay me to use optima batteries since Johnson Controls took over.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I picked up two Red Optima that had been returned because the previous owner didn't understand how to get a charge into them. They cost me $200(can) for the two, and they gave me 7 yrs of trouble free service. My Boats battery was an Interstate Marine Cranking battery, at 14 yrs it still had 75% of its Capacity, and had never failed. All the guys at the local Interstate Store, took a turn at testing it. I did replace it with a new Battery, commenting that the new one better meet or beat that one

GA_Boater

I wish people who start threads would answer questions when asked! Maybe we wouldn't go off on tangents.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I wish people who start threads would answer questions when asked! Maybe we wouldn't go off on tangents.

Isn't it the tangents GA that help us all get educated on more than the question at hand. I'm not talking about digressing way off subject of which I am terribly guilty of, we are still talking batteries and charging are we not? However reagardless of my opinion I will try me best as well.

I have never seen more than 12.5 V on any battery I have had, auto or marine. At anything above that I would think something is array. Yes the OP is chasing ghosts I believe.

BerlinKhan

Banned
Hello everyone,,,
my boat has 2 D34M BlueTop deep cycle batteries . No matter how hard I try i can't get them to charge past 12.5 volts resting voltage. I read on riverslots download for pc the website these batteries are supposed to be at 13.0 to 13.2

the batteries are only 1 year old. I've been using my 6/2 amp smart charger.... it shows they are charged. this is my charger: http://www.sears.com/plus-start-batt...FU9LAQod13cLdw

Do you think I'm using the wrong chargers, I'm just trying to exhaust my efforts before I warranty them.

No n any ways i got my issue solved,...

GA_Boater

No n any ways i got my issue solved,...

You have a bad forum habit of asking for help and not telling what the solution is. This is the third time you started a thread to just close it with a response like this.

For us Tangenteers - What was it?

Hello everyone,,,
my boat has 2 D34M BlueTop deep cycle batteries . No matter how hard I try i can't get them to charge past 12.5 volts resting voltage. I read on the website these batteries are supposed to be at 13.0 to 13.2

It is also best if you are able when checking for rot to drill core samples of the wood it is absolutely positively the only way to know for sure if rot exists, however I will NOT allow anyone to drill into my boat and I don't know of any other seller who will either.

There is no such thing as an easy floor repair or easy transom repair it takes time, money, and lots of hard labor, so if a seller says it is easy offer to pay for materials and give them an extra $100.00 to do it properly again I can almost guarantee your offer will be refused.

GA_Boater

It is also best if you are able when checking for rot to drill core samples of the wood it is absolutely positively the only way to know for sure if rot exists, however I will NOT allow anyone to drill into my boat and I don't know of any other seller who will either.

There is no such thing as an easy floor repair or easy transom repair it takes time, money, and lots of hard labor, so if a seller says it is easy offer to pay for materials and give them an extra $100.00 to do it properly again I can almost guarantee your offer will be refused.

This is so far off tangent we'll need a space flight out of the solar system to find it! Elon Musk or Richard Branson, can you help?