Info on 1988 Chris Craft 196 limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westjc23

Cadet
I have a 1988 Chris craft 196 limited. Mercruiser 200/v8. Alpha one outdrive. I have done a lot of research on this boat and have found very little information on it. Does anyone know anything about these boats? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo316642.jpg
    photo316642.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 6
  • photo316643.jpg
    photo316643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • photo316644.jpg
    photo316644.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3

Carl1783

Seaman
Welcome! I have an '86 CC Scorpion 196 BR Limited with a 230 Merc Alpha One. There is another member on here, clattin who has a Scoprion BR Limited too so there's at least three of us now.

You are correct, there is't much out there on these years of CCs. There is some info over on the Chris Craft Stinger forum, as the Scorpion had a similar hull design. I have all the original manuals and paperwork for my boat when it was new in '86, if there is anything particular you are looking for I could maybe help.

When I first posted on here I was told that the 80's weren't CC's best years, which seems to be true, but the Scorpion seems to be on par with other mid level runabouts from the 80's. Chris Crafts weren't super high end boats in the 1980's but if well cared for, it should last.

Yours look to be in pretty good shape! Care to share the history about it and how long you've had it?

Here is mine.

fetch

Westjc23

Cadet
Thanks for the response. Yours looks super clean! Yeah I have searched around on different forums and there doesn’t seem to be much about these boats anywhere. I have seen a little bit about just Chris craft In general not being the best in the 80s.

The history of this boat is this is my first boat I’ve owned. I’ve only had it a year now. Came across it on Craigslist and for the price seemed to be like a clean boat. I paid $4600 for it. Anything else in my area (Spokane, WA) in that price range needed a lot of interior or exterior work. I have had a couple issues. So far I’ve had the outdrive rebuilt and have replaced pretty much the whole fuel system. Other than that it’s been a good boat so far.

Carl1783

Seaman
Small world. I lived in Pullman until last year. I agree with you on used boat pricing in our areas, it’s either junk or overpriced.

clattin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, yes, I have the same exact boat as Westjc23....same paint scheme even. I just had to replace fuel filters (water separating and the one in the carb that I NEVER knew was even there). Am gonna get the boat out this afternoon on the Detroit River to walleye fish and give it a test drive to see if that solved the power "sag" issue I was having. Also having a bit of a problem with it shifting into reverse....frequently it won't shift. I move the gear shift back and the RPM's come up but it doesn't actually shift into reverse. I'm HOPING its just an adjustment that needs to be made and not a transmission or lower unit issue, but I suspect its more than just an adjustment.

Question for you guys, how does your engine cover/layout bench work? Mine has clearly been replaced at some point but it doesn't have the hydraulic pistons or any sort of latch down capability so I have to run a ratchet strap over the top when trailering to keep it down. Maybe you could post a pic or two of what it looks like when you have it open? I just have to use my fingertips under one of the corners to lift it up and then I have a stick that I keep in the engine compartment to keep it propped up. Not ideal.

My girlfriend said she saw the same boat for sale up by our cottage. I haven't seen it but we'll be up this weekend and will look for it.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• photo331578.jpg
    photo331578.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.