Mariah Shabah 180 - Good Boat or Bad Boat?

Derreek

Recruit
Hello I’m new to this. I’m looking at getting a Mariah Shabah 180 Ski / Wakeboard boat. Guy has it listed for 6,200.It is the 4.3lx Largest v6 Engine. It looks very clean. Just want to know what you guys think about theses boats and if this is a good deal or not. Thank you.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

With used boats, condition is king - even over brand. Do some reading HERE and use that to see if this Mariah is a good one. I don't know Mariah's particularly, but I wouldn't be afraid of one in good shape. Well kept, it's nothing "amazing," but it's probably a decent boat.

Just a note: a ski boat and a wakeboard boat are two different animals. Ski boats are designed to lay down a nice level table of water to ski on - low waves. A wakeboard boat is designed to dig into the water and chew it up to make big waves (wake) to board on. AND ... this boat is niether :) It's an open bow run about. It'll pull a skier, and it'll pull a wakeboard just fine - but it's not really a dedicated tow boat.

What year is the boat you're looking at? Do you have a link to the ad?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mariah is a brand name of mediocre quality boats made by a few companies. twice the companies manufacturing boats with the Mariah name went out of business

that being stated, when the boat was new, it was similar quality to a searay. however you are now dealing with a used boat, and maintenance history and condition mean more than brand

read the link that 'kogs posted on going over the boat.

wakeboard boats do not have outdrives, please do not call that Mariah a wakeboard boat

its technically a runabout

Carl1783

Seaman
I don't know much about Mariahs. There is a dedicated Mariah boat owner forum tho, you could go there for answers. It does seem that Mariah owners have very high opinions of... Mariahs ;)

FWIW there is a 1995 Mariah Talari 180 on CL in my area with the 4.3 with 500 hours in decent shape and they are asking $4,600.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I won't beat up condition, as everyone above me mentioned it, that is 100x more important than brand name. Might as well remove brand name on used boats, it makes very little difference.

Post pics or a link to the ad, lots of guys here will spot red flags just on a quick glance through. At least without a bunch of more information, that price actually seems to cheap for my area, but boat prices tend to be wildly region specific.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
All the above is good info. If the ad trying to sell it says its a Ski / Wakeboard boat - I'd say that's an indicator of ...something

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, if it's got a tower on it then it's a wakeboard boat! :lol:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
i know this particular boat fairly well. A friend had one for years. It’s a special edition. Also one of the last mariahs made which had any sign of quality about it. After these models were made...a short time after Mariah went really downward in quality. Probably when bayliner Brunswick got a hold of them.