Need some advice

Quick24

Recruit
Hello, looking for some advice. I’m looking at buying a bigger boat. It’s between 2007 Larson 260 cambrio or 2006 Bayliner 265. Anyone have experience with with one? The good, the bad or the ugly? Much appreciated!

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats :)

What do you have now?

At 12-13 years of age, the actual condition of the boat may be more important than brand/model specifics. There is a checklist in the stickies for buying boats.

Hopefully, some owners or previous owners of those specific brands will comment as well.

Quick24

Recruit
I currently have a 1994 Reinell 2400 XL. It has a 7.4 Mercruiser. Love it but need something bigger to do weekend trips etc... thanks for responding though. Much appreciated. Still new at boating life but my wife and love it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All things being equal and both being in equal condition....I’d go for the Larson...unless the bayliner has an MPI/gxi and the Larson doesn’t

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
read the one and only sticky at the top of the forum.... regarding tips on buying a boat.

condition is the only thing that matters, both boats getting up there in age. both will have something needing attention.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have always considered buying a used boat as the art of balancing imperfections. So, you will just have to see which boat(s) are better than others.

In comparison of Bayliner vs. Larson, I would not consider one to to be that much different/better than the other.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
The Larsen detail is def better than Bayliner and the hull design of Larsen is much improved and up to date .Charlie

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Buy based on the style, layout and the amenities you want! The name on the side isn't important, Then find one worth buying. Does it really need to be stated when buying a used boat that condition is important? Well duh?????

I would not completely dismiss the build quality of a boat when buying something used & older used. My Larson 220 Hampton had a cheap deck hatch that self destructed before it was ten years old. No amount of care can change that. The Bomar in the SeaRay is a much better engineered and constructed hatch. 20 years old and it still works like new, better than the one in the Larson ever did. Larson attached many components on my Hampton with screws. Searay used nut/bolts with aluminum backing plates for the most part on the Sundancer. They used screws in some areas as well. Guess what fasteners tend to work their way loose after 20 years!;) The cheap build quality of the Larson was irritating at times but I had no regrets buying it because it had such a great layout and no other 23' cuddy could touch it for amenities. So there's that!

Personally I don't find anything all that special about the Larson. I like all the windows in the cuddy of the Bayliner. I pretty much walked through every 24'-26' cruiser made when on the hunt for one 15 years ago. So my suggestion is don't sell yourself short. Check everything out you can. Even boats I didn't particularly care for the styling of, I stepped aboard.

In the end it was the test drive that sealed the deal for me w/Sundancer. As much as I liked the boat sitting on the trailer, once I drove it I knew I had to have it. So don't seal the deal without a sea test to make sure the boat doesn't have poor planing, ride or handling traits such as a bow that points to the sky when hitting the throttle or a hull that is overly sensitive to trim and immediately begins porpoise.

Good luck in your search!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Agreed with above. The brand is irrelevant on a boat over a few years old. The condition is everything. The previous owner having well documented maintenance records can mean a lot.
btw, I made the move to a cabin cruiser many years ago and love it! Staying the weekend on the boat and having coffee and breakfast on the water is the best. You’ll love it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agreed with above. The brand is irrelevant on a boat over a few years old. The condition is everything. The previous owner having well documented maintenance records can mean a lot.
btw, I made the move to a cabin cruiser many years ago and love it! Staying the weekend on the boat and having coffee and breakfast on the water is the best. You’ll love it.

I’m not so sure really. In this case yeah I agree, with the two brands being at the lower end of quality and finish (not knocking them. Had a bayliner and they are undoubtedly instrumental in getting more people on the water cheap)....but there are some real gulfs in quality between certain brands. Especially here in the U.K. where you have the option of the big boys, like princess, fairline, sunseeker etc.
Even in terms or North American boats, the difference between a 2003 Campion and a 2010/11/12 and so on bayliner is still considerable in favour of the campion. Just my opinion.

harringtondav

Commander
Condition over brand for sure. Especially with boats of this vintage. Bayliners were once considered junk starter boats. By 2006-7 Brunswick (owner of Merc.) had upped their game with Bayliner. Owner care in keeping the boat dry and free from structural rot makes the difference. Any neglected boat turns to junk.

BTW, my Larson is still solid. Again, care is the key. ...never realized I was buying a "starter boat".