Sea Nymph SS195 needs motor

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought this boat with a non running 1975 mercury 850 and want to replace it. The plate on the boat states that it will hold up to a 140 hp. I don't think I need or want a 140 hp motor so I'm asking what would be a good motor for this boat. I'll use it for walleye fishing, trolling, and nothing else. and will use a kicker motor for trolling. I don't want a new motor, or a 4 stroke. Something in the 1990's-2000's. Thanks in advance.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if this still holds true today, but a rule of thumb was to rig a boat with 3/4 of the maximum h.p. motor if you didn't want the max h.p motor. So another 80-100 h.p motor would probably be what your looking for. Maybe as low as a 70 h.p but you need to know all the stuff and people you will have in the boat most or all of the time and go from there.

ahicks

Captain
As I'm totally spoiled by 4 strokes, there's not much doubt that one of those would be my first choice. That choice removed, I would go with a mid sized (90-130) 4 cylinder 2 stroke. Yamaha would be my first choice, followed by Johnson, Evinrude, and Merc, in no particular order.

I think the 3 cylinder engines (70hp and smaller) might be a little underwhelming for anything other than maybe fishing fairly close to the dock.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
A big displacement 90 HP Merc triple of that vintage would be fine on that boat for what I feel you intend to use the boat for. Those are good motors. I had a 75 Merc triple on my 17 ft Alumacraft walleye boat and it was a nice performer and reasonably economical. Nice sweet spot at 3800 - 4000 rpm.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Depending on the weight of the OP's boat, for his needs the 70-75 Johnny/Rude might be nice. Having had a 70 on a dual console 17 foot Lund I found it to be just right after I propped it properly. No, you're not going to run out at 45 mph, but I could still troll with it all day if I wanted to. As far as trolling goes, the 70 hp came in where my bow mount left off.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to thank everyone for their responses to my question. Pretty narrowed down as to what I need. I'll be looking, thanks again.