Wax bootom of hull or no wax.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I used to detail every vehicle I ever owned waxing sometimes 3 times a year, like my very 1st car, the MGB I bought in 73' for 500 bucks. Bought a brand new Silverado in 011, I have never waxed it and it shines like the day I drove it off the lot. My wife has a little Kia that is an 014. I was going to wax it last summer and after a good wash I realized it didn't need it. The StarCraft gets waxed with M*&^$rs every spring. Because it needs it. Lake water kills the finish sides and bottom. I don't think it was clear coated when new in 95', if it was there isn't any left on her. It will never see wax on the entire bottom because she is on the trailer. If there is a way to wax 100% of the bottom I have no idea other then too to hang it from a tree. That ain't happening anytime soon.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I used to detail every vehicle I ever owned waxing sometimes 3 times a year, like my very 1st car, the MGB I bought in 73' for 500 bucks. Bought a brand new Silverado in 011, I have never waxed it and it shines like the day I drove it off the lot. My wife has a little Kia that is an 014. I was going to wax it last summer and after a good wash I realized it didn't need it. The StarCraft gets waxed with M*&^$rs every spring. Because it needs it. Lake water kills the finish sides and bottom. I don't think it was clear coated when new in 95', if it was there isn't any left on her. It will never see wax on the entire bottom because she is on the trailer. If there is a way to wax 100% of the bottom I have no idea other then too to hang it from a tree. That ain't happening anytime soon.

Waxing a trailered boats isn't hard to do. You wax what you can get to, and then use a wide board and a jack and jack up one side and wax the bunk area, and then jack up the other side and do the same. Easy peasy...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I didn't know boats were clear coated.

My buddy has a relatively new car that he never waxes and always takes it thru a car wash. It still shines real nice. My car has been hand washed its entire life and has never been thru a car wash since I bought it new.

Putting the 2 cars side to side and his looks sort of flat while mine looks like it was painted yesterday.

My 'ole car is 39 years old and his is only 6. The proof is in the puddin.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I didn't know boats were clear coated.

My buddy has a relatively new car that he never waxes and always takes it thru a car wash. It still shines real nice. My car has been hand washed its entire life and has never been thru a car wash since I bought it new.

Putting the 2 cars side to side and his looks sort of flat while mine looks like it was painted yesterday.

My 'ole car is 39 years old and his is only 6. The proof is in the puddin.

My Silverado is always washed in an auto car wash, but brush free. I think that makes a big difference. The reason not hand washed is economical, with the crew cab that's a lot of sheet metal to wash plus I never use a brush on a vehicle. At almost a buck a minute up here it can cost me more than $20.00 to hand wash it. 10 bucks through the car wash.

gm280, yes that would be the way to do it I imagine. But my body is breaking down quickly these days with arthritis of all name brands I can't pronounce so I won't be doing that in the near future.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
At almost a buck a minute up here it can cost me more than $20.00 to hand wash it. 10 bucks through the car wash.

OMG, you have my sympathy. (and people complain about the costs to live in NY!!)

My water bill in the summer is less than $20 a MONTH. That includes showers, toilet, washing the car every 3 days, watering the garden daily and even FILLING THE POOL. It also includes the surcharge for the sewers. In the winter is much cheaper.

Regardless of what it costs, I really do enjoy the time with the car. Additionally, I realize I'm anal, but I wax my boats after each outing. If they don't shine, its not cool......LOL.

The 3 beers it takes to get the job done seems to minimize MY arthritis.