No announcement yet.

Teaching the wife to drive the boat...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In almost 40 years of marriage, one thing I've learned is never try to teach your spouse how to do anything. Get a friend to teach her. Saves some hurt feelings.

Comment

I read some but not all of the comments. So maybe this has been all covered before IDK.

But I think your wife isn't stupid or has any mental issues and therefore she will get the hang of it just as quick as you did, or maybe even faster! A boater's safety course is the only good idea I read above, from the few comments I read.

When I took my first bass boat out, I knew to go slow and feel how it handles. I never owned such a boat before and I didn't drive over any other boat or a dock either. Go figure...

I 'm thinking most people do the same. So just go out and allow her to drive the boat in some open water and see how she does. If you have tilt and trim, allow her to see how the boat reacts when using those options as well. And when coming into a dock, let her go very slow and use neutral and reverse to control the boat. We all didn't have a "teacher" when we all learned. It is pretty intuitive.

I think she is competent enough to figure it out...just like we all did! JMHO
      Tom Boy Boat Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-what-trailer
      Rebuilt trailer project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-back-to-life
      '76 40 HP Johnson rebuild https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...mplete-rebuild
      Minn Kota 599 Project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ta-599-project

Comment

She can definitely do it. The only question is whether she's going to feel comfortable doing it or not and the only way she's going to feel comfortable is with practice. So I'm not going to take her out and have her put it against the dock the first time out which is why I'm looking for ideas 4 how to teach her to do it.

it took me 27 years of being a boater to get to the point that I'm at now where I can put this boat in as slip with a foot and a half leftover I not hit my neighbor's boat. I don't have 27 years for her to pick it up if something happens to me while we're out.
        2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
        1994 Proline 2510 - 'DrifteR ' <- project - ON THE WATER!
        1971 Concorde 27' - 'Little Angel ' <- sold

Comment

My wife didn’t have a choice.

We rented a cottage on a lake for a week. On the way in left me and the boat at the ramp on the far side of the lake while she drove the kids and the trailer to the house.

As we’re getting ready to leave, she mentioned taking the boat back to the ramp herself. Ok.....threw the kids in the truck and took off. Didn’t leave her anytime to second guess...lol

Mind you, she had never even operated the boat, let alone back out of the slip and run 20 minutes down lake.

She did ok, until she put the boat in gear then got out to untie the lines. Had to make a running leap from dock to boat as it was heading out without here.

Other than a couple of scrapes and bruises, she did pretty well all things considered.

To this day, she wants nothing to do with running the boat. Strictly passenger material

Comment

Originally posted by four winns 214 View Post
            In almost 40 years of marriage, one thing I've learned is never try to teach your spouse how to do anything. Get a friend to teach her. Saves some hurt feelings.
            That's probably the best advice I've gotten.

Comment

may be a stupid thought. take her for an afternoon of bumper boats.

http://www.celebrationstation.com/pu...ions/index.cfm
              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'm thinking they handle a little different than our 27' walkaround.

Comment

Originally posted by TBarCYa View Post
                  I'm thinking they handle a little different than our 27' walkaround.
                  Yes and no, they teach the bare basic but by the sounds of it she knows that. I'd just take her out and practice everything you might need. I'd also have you do each thing twice before she tries and first time explain what you are doing and second just left her watch and ask questions.

If she is even willing to learn lucky you, talked to my GF last night about it, guess the idea was so crazy she thought I was joking. Something about not wanting to ding my new boat
                  2018 Galstron GT 185 | Mercury 4.5L 200HP
                  1977 Crestliner Crusader 550 | 1977 Mercury 850 [SOLD]
                  1962 Scott unknown model | 1977 Mercury 50 HP

Comment

I would suggest the Boat Ed course https://www.boat-ed.com/
                    It's state specific and it only costs $20 or $30 and you only pay if you pass.
                    It has specific instructions such as docking against the current, etc...

Comment

I don't know if it's the same course but it looks like the same site as the BoatUS site that has the same course for free. She's going to start taking it later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by TBarCYa View Post
                        I don't know if it's the same course but it looks like the same site as the BoatUS site that has the same course for free. She's going to start taking it later this week.
                        It's not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by legalfee View Post
                          I would suggest the Boat Ed course https://www.boat-ed.com/
                          It's state specific and it only costs $20 or $30 and you only pay if you pass.
                          It has specific instructions such as docking against the current, etc...
                          I did this course, and I agree it was pretty good. Not the same as a face to fce course on a boat, but still useful.
                          Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by four winns 214 View Post
                            The best advice given yet.
                            My wife knows how to operate our boat, kind of a necessity since we commute daily by boat, but doesn't unless she has to. When it comes to strong winds or cross currents, she'll wait for me at the dock.

Comment

The first thing I do when teaching my wife to drive a new boat is encorage her to hit the first solid object she can find. Thats what happened with my last new boat. Second day in the water. It was a small dent in an aluminum boat. She has not operated my new boat yet but the day is coming shes going to need to be able to come get me when Im drift diving

Comment

Boating, docking, on and off the lift while dealing with wind etc is all about the details...my wife is a CEO and she literally won't do details. High level only, don't attempt to bog her down in a single detail or the outcome will be very bad. It can get extremely frustrating. Sometimes I feel like it's a disability. The reason she has never driven my new BMW 750LI is that it would take a lesson or two and she refuses to listen to the details of how to operate it because it isn't a jump in and drive type of a car. On one hand she feels insulted, she has never driven it and on the other it cost $113,500.
                                2002 Chaparral 220 SSi
                                350 MAG MPI
                                Bravo 1

2011 Yamaha FX Sho

Comment

Working...
                                X