1990 Baja 216 dvx

Jaymoney412

Cadet
I am wondering where I can find information and pictures on a 1990 Baja 216 dvx boat I just purchased I want to rewire the electrical system and have more information on the vessel than what is on the internet thank you in advance for the help

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Boats don't come with wiring diagrams, which is why you can't find any online. Your only real option is to call Baja to see if they can help. Otherwise, it is a 12 volt dc system. There are a lot of common wires for all boats that have to do with the engine and trim system (mercruiser or volvo), but other than that, boats are too custom to have a standard diagram. Even for each model, they have different speaker, stereo, depth finder, lighting, etc options to include with one diagram.

That is the bad news. The good news is you are on a forum with some of the most knowledgeable boat guys in the world. If you have any questions with specific issues, you will get help in a short period of time.

A couple of tips. Be specific and include as much information you have at hand. It all starts with the engine and drive that you have and falls in place from there.

Other electrical issues are fairly easy to diagnose if you give us the problem. First step is to make sure all connections are shiny clean and tight and go from there.

Jaymoney412

Cadet
Thank you so much wahle for getting back to me as soon as I get all the Info I am sure I will have several questions as I am new to boating.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
You can get service manuals for whatever engine you have. Those will have wiring diagrams for specific engine, drive, trim components. The accessories on your boat are fairly easy to diagnose. You have a power lead, a switch, a fuse, connection to the device, and a return to ground. Usually the fuses are all in one place and the switches are at the helm. If you are lucky, they are near each other. My switches and fuses are all on one block and wiring is a breeze.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
wahlejim is right.

you can also Google “boat wiring”—-there’s a number of good articles available that may be helpful to get you started.

For example, West Marine has a really good boat wiring summary available.

if Baja used the color codes for wiring for the boat that ABYC recommends, that’ll be a big help—that article has a summary of the wire colors and what they’re used for and there’s a complete list of the ABYC wiring colors available on Google.

If they did use the color codes, it’ll be a huge help especially for the instrument and accessory wiring. If not, it’ll be tracing each one down to see what it does.

I got lucky when I bought my older Chris Craft in that they used the ABYC colors for all the wiring—Hopefully Baja did as well.

As wahlejim stated, the wiring for the motor is available in the shop manual for it.

Last edited: