hull number location

DIPSHIP5

Cadet
need to find hull number for 1966 18 foot Chris craft.recent purchase purchase

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
have you looked at the upper right hand corner of the transom?

jbcurt00

Staff member
A 1966 probably doesnt have an original factory HIN, but might have a serial#.....

what state are you in? States have different rules/regs for boat documentation, some easy, some not and some that are extremely difficult to deal w @ 50yr old boats

might look under the splashwell and/or dash if equipped, some makers put 2ndary serial #s in those locations.

HINs werent mandatory until early 70s....

some states will issue a new state issued HIN at title/reg transfer due to sale of a pre-72 boat that never had or needed a HIN

Last edited:

DIPSHIP5

Cadet
I removed the interior and gas tank,scrubbed all the stringers I could reach but no luck . my 1960 sea skiff had it on rear stringer behind engine . also this hull has port side steering with a pull out throttle on the dash..hull is glass over wood

DIPSHIP5

Cadet
Thanks for the input .I will keep looking just out of curiosity. the title only says c craft 1966,

mr 88

Commander
Chris - Craft Antique Boat Owners Club on facebook may be able to help you . Or try googling Chris Craft and see what comes up.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks for the input .I will keep looking just out of curiosity. the title only says c craft 1966,

If its titled, why the hunt for a HIN? You know year (based on pix, its likely a mid 60s), you know who made it. Most HINs or Ser#s wont decode to provide a model.

Is what model, why you're hunting the HIN?

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1972 sailboat was made in Ca, but did not come with a HIN of any kind. At some time, the guys in the Fla Dept Of Motor Vehicles sent me a new number and instructions about how to apply it. They said to make it hard to remove so.... I fastened a small plate in a very difficult place to reach but that could be read with binocs ;-)

Also, just recently I was replacing the electrical ground junction plate on the transom of my 1999 boat and found a strip of tape with the number for the boat hidden underneath the plate. Judging from the condition, It was probably affixed at the factory.