State of Minnesota

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Minnesota has had huge issues over the last year with vehicle and title registration. I just got a postcard for getting my new registration sticker. I look at the card and they have the year of my boat wrong. Being a vintage boat having the right year on the title is kinda important if you go to see the boat.They have the boat listed as a 1958 and the boat was built in 1954 according to Alumacraft.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The last word on the boat‘s model year is the VIN. I could careless what the title says.

now if the VIN is wrong on the title, thats a whole different issue

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the title correct and the new sticker postcard wrong?

HIN didn't exist in 1958 or '54.

oldjeep

Admiral
Minnesota has had huge issues over the last year with vehicle and title registration. I just got a postcard for getting my new registration sticker. I look at the card and they have the year of my boat wrong. Being a vintage boat having the right year on the title is kinda important if you go to see the boat.They have the boat listed as a 1958 and the boat was built in 1954 according to Alumacraft.

Have you got a title? Or had the boat long enough where they didn't issue one when you got it?
And FWIW - the state MLARS system has nothing to do with your boat title - boat stuff comes from the DNR, not DPS

jkust

Rear Admiral
I haven't had much trouble getting things registered. Now, I just bought a car and they (the DMV) said it would be four months to get the title.
Registration cost of the car was based upon the 95k base msrp of the car (they don't tax the 20k in options, how nice)...another tax and for that I get a 4 month service time (this doesn't include the egregious sales tax).
Not a huge fan of my state these last years.

Mod EDIT: political content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I had zero issues there was a Number on the hull that alumacraft verified it was a 1954. Original registration was 1954 and correct there is no error on my part, or issues with original registration.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Is the title correct and the new sticker postcard wrong?

HIN didn't exist in 1958 or '54.

Original was correct and there is a serial number in the foot of the transom and it was verified before the title was transferred when I bought in Wisconsin and transferred the title 2 years ago.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ask the state why the title says 1954 and the new rego says 1958.

jkust

Rear Admiral
That is the point of my original post more of a rant about a screwed up system.

As I'm unable to adequately comment as per above comment removed, I'll just say as a lifelong MN resident - from one of the first families in the USA way back when - the upside to this state is our lakes and from those I got my lifelong love of the water and boating which ultimately lead me here. We will retain two of our homes here when we leave when the kids are grown in 10 years, sell the others and head for greener pastures. End of the day, it could me much worse in some other nation. Slow tabs, registration, titles Et al, are a minor inconvenience.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I can't wait to launch my newest restored boat it does not have a plug in it, the boat launch inspectors are going to lose their mind.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I've been a resident of MN for 54 years and I can think of a number of things that are screwed up besides the DMV. To list them and my complaints would get me banished for the few years I will remain on this planet.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
. Being a vintage boat having the right year on the title is kinda important if you go to see the boat.

Unless I"m missing something, is it really that big of a deal? I've had boat registrations off +/- 1 year before, never cared the slightest. As long as they give me a valid sticker I really don't care what the slip of paper says.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Have you ever owned a vintage boat, no big deal to on a newer boat when on a vintage boat sometimes the year matters very much.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Unless I"m missing something, is it really that big of a deal? I've had boat registrations off +/- 1 year before, never cared the slightest. As long as they give me a valid sticker I really don't care what the slip of paper says.

if your planning to not care about value of a restored vintage boat, that is one thing. however documentation and paperwork are king to vintage boats.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
if your planning to not care about value of a restored vintage boat, that is one thing. however documentation and paperwork are king to vintage boats.

So yeah I must be missing something on vintage boats I guess.

At least in my experience, I've never seen a vintage boat that is actually worth more depending on paperwork. Maybe for a high end very specialized boat, but this is an old Alumacraft. Dime a dozen, I can probably find 3 or 4 on my lake alone. It is neither rare nor unique. That boat in my area would go for $1000 half full of leaves with a mis-matched title and a shady past. It would go for $1100 if you cleaned all the leaves out, had the original manual sealed in plastic, and a perfect registration card.

Don't get me wrong, if it is for personal gratification that is fine, but I just don't see any financial value in it, based on real world data. Looking at some of the boat sale sites now, there are various 1950's alumacrafts that are in meticulous shape, they are selling for basically the price of the engine.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

At least in my experience, I've never seen a vintage boat that is actually worth more depending on paperwork. Maybe for a high end very specialized boat, but this is an old Alumacraft. Dime a dozen, I can probably find 3 or 4 on my lake alone. It is neither rare nor unique. That boat in my area would go for $1000 half full of leaves with a mis-matched title and a shady past. It would go for $1100 if you cleaned all the leaves out, had the original manual sealed in plastic, and a perfect registration card.

Don't get me wrong, if it is for personal gratification that is fine, but I just don't see any financial value in it, based on real world data. Looking at some of the boat sale sites now, there are various 1950's alumacrafts that are in meticulous shape, they are selling for basically the price of the engine.

Well. I'm not part of this thread and it really isn't any of my bizzness, but this reply kinda pooped me off. Obviously, the commenter has a 1980's POC that isn't worth what he paid for it and probably doesn't even run.....LOL.

I've not been a boater, But I've been a Boatman for 65 years. Vintage boats to my family are not worth what we paid for them, they are worth MUCH more.

If your kid's SS card came back with a wrong birthdate maybe it wouldn't really matter to you. But if a family boat with the wrong date was screwed up by the DMV it would be a catastrophe.

Just go away and shut up. If financial value is your concern, go jump in the stock market. If BOATING and FAMILY are of any concern, then go buy an Ancestry.com kit.

Ned L

Commander
Not meaning to sidetrack,———just a quick comment.
Wow! JimS123,.... you are the first person I have come across in decades who grew up with “boatman” and not “boater”. Good for you!

(Now we will return to regular scheduled broadcasting.) :)

DeepCMark58A

Commander

If you can find Alumacrafts from the 50's that easy PM me I will pay you $250 per each one you find for me.