Has anyone imported a boat into canada?

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello. I am trying to import a boat into canada but I could not find any info and everything seems confusing. has anyone done this? Ok so the boat part seems easy, I just give the bill of sale for it at the border and pay. the part that confuses me is the trailer though. I have absolutely no idea as to how to make it legal to drive it on the highway in the us as soon as I buy it and after crossing the border into canada. anyone know how to do this? thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Its all very simple. First you make the trailer USA legal and then do the same thing as you do with the boat when you enter Canada.

The US part needs to follow the regs of the US State that you bought it in.

So, a few simple phone calls are in order, as searching online is often not fully explained. Call the appropriate US State, and Canada Customs for the appropriate Provence.

Been there / done that for NY / Ontario. But be prepared to pay a hefty duty. Unless its a family heirloom it might be cheaper to buy in Canada.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depends ----You may not have to pay the state sales tax if you drive straight out of that state to Canada.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, yes the plan is to get the boat from detroit. the boat is a project boat so it is very cheap. so I have to get a plate in the us first, then I cross the border with that plate?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I would not worry about the US/Michigan rules, unless Canada requires that you provide a title to make it legal.

I do not need plates or registration on my trailers under 3,000# gross weight, and we tow them across the border into Canada several times a year. No issues.

First start with what Canada requires of you to make the trailer legal.
The info is available online, and has been covered here on iboats.

If CA requires a title to import the trailer, then get one in Michigan.
Know what is required in Michigan to get a title, it may or may not be easy.

If there are too many hurdles and obstacles, then buy a trailer in CA, that meets the CA registration requirements.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I've not had to take a boat INTO Canada but I've sold a few boats that went to Canada. The people I've dealt with universally told me that to get this done in the most effective way possible is to make sure you have all of the pertinent documentation for the boat/trailer et al. That means the names on titles, bills of sale and other documents match. And before you attempt the crossing, contact the officials at the border crossing you intend to use. Rules apparently differ or enforced differently in various jurisdictions. Then pick up the boat and head to the appropriate crossing.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did this a few years ago, so things may have changed. A call to your favorite crossing should help. . Mine was a new boat / trailer, travel from Montana to Alberta.
The dealer had all paperwork ready, bill of sale, 30 day registration / transit for trailer, etc. It was simple. Pulled up to border office, paid the GST and drove away, 5 minute transaction.
You will need a trailer "RIV" inspection sticker to register your trailer, but you do that once you get home. I think you get 45 days to do that.