looking at a 2002 crownline 202br

newboater37

Cadet
At a local dealer. Supposedly has 150 hours on it, looks clean, except a minor tear on the back upholstery.
has the 5.0 220hp carb motor.
They want 14,900 i believe.
Its also on a non standard trailer.

Any opinions on this boat and setup and/or price?​​​​​​

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
$13,500 would be better. I would have it surveyed as a contingency to the sale. Lots of wood in the Crownlines, IIRC, so you want to make sure there is not moisture retention of rot issues.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
From my perspective carb is not a problem in fact I prefer it. Sure injected starter easier, but with basic hand tools carbs can be fixed, injected you need the software to diagnose.

Maclin

Admiral
I would deduct even more for the non-standard trailer. Even though the original trailer may have aged some by now, Crownline has some pretty spiffy custom trailers for their boats.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I winterized two 202's this year, and that engine is very difficult to get to. The most simple maintenance becomes a struggle.

I live at higher altitude, and would never consider a carb boat. FI just runs so much better.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
$15k is a bit high, should be closer to $11k

nothing wrong with a carb. EFI boats run....until they dont

newboater37

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like people agree with the trailer being off, an offer around 11k, might sound fair.
Sounds like we have people pro and con on the carb issue. I would prefer fuel injected, but such is life.

jkust

Rear Admiral
It's an easy one for me. It has an 1800's technology carburetor and not 'modern' smartcraft capable MPI which came out on the 5.0 for model year 2002. They would need to pay me to take it off their hands having gone from a newer carbed boat than that to an MPI engine boat. A carb is a non starter in almost 2019 and MPI is widely available on used boats. MPI is orders of magnitude better than carb whereby the upside of carbs is that people who do their own wrenching, like that they are simple and cheap to fix but many of us pay someone else to maintain our stuff and so the upside of MPI is overwhelming. My MPI has been trouble free since 2002.

harringtondav

Commander
I second three comments above. Carbs are fine. Easily diagnosed and repaired. If you keep your fuel system clean they will run a long time without trouble. I put a kit in my 4bbl Weber just because it was 22 yrs old. Mostly unnecessary.

My wife's family has a '98 Crownline 18' BR with the same 4.3 LX I have. Crowline boxed in that engine so tightly I can barely get the spark arrester off. The sundeck/engine hatch barely opens 45 deg. You need long skinny arms for winterization and oil filter changes.

Also structural rot is an unknown on used boats. I see many gorgeous shiny newer boats sitting on trailers without a cover. I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10 ft. pole, at any price. My next boat will be new. I'm taking no chances with rot.

newboater37

Cadet
Fair enough. They also have a 225br lpx, yellow. 300 hours, with 350 mag fuel injected. but their price is nuts at 26,900
Anybody got a fair value on this boat?

newboater37

Cadet
I know above someone said they did away with carb in 2002. However, they had a 2008 19SS there, as well with a 5.0 carb. So obviously mercruiser and boat producers are still putting carbs past 2002

jkust

Rear Admiral
I know above someone said they did away with carb in 2002. However, they had a 2008 19SS there, as well with a 5.0 carb. So obviously mercruiser and boat producers are still putting carbs past 2002

No, the carb remained a base engine until the EPA forced them out of existence.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Fair enough. They also have a 225br lpx, yellow. 300 hours, with 350 mag fuel injected. but their price is nuts at 26,900

What year is the 225 and what state are you in? Also understand the the price of boats is massively regional. Cheap in some states and far more expensive in others. From a higher level, I am in MN, whereby we have the third highest cost of living in the whole country according to the Economist Magazine in 2018. We, as in Minneapolis. So when I travel for for work which is frequently, not only are boats cheaper but everything except housing is cheaper in most states. So my paradigm is likely very different than someone from a lower cost of living state. Now add in the regional difference in that we have over 11,000 lakes and everyone has or wants a boat and demand is high and so are prices. This can be a very convoluted discussion then as Nada for example is relatively divorced from reality as well here. Lastly, I recently read that Yellow is the least popular boat color on boats so that would be in your favor.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I am in indiana

Excellent, Indiana is a cheaper boating state (and cost of living state) so that's a good thing. I was thinking that possibly you were in Canada with that price. That's an egregious price for what is not a very practical boat. Does it have the extended swim platform? I find that Crownlines of that era many times didn't get ordered with that platform which is a desirable option.

tpenfield

Staff member

You can look up market values yourself . . . You don't need to wait for someone to respond.

nadaguides.com or better yet, Bucvalu.com BUC is typically a better market estimate than NADA.