Which chartplotter/fishfinder?

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a couple different ones, I'm not a fisherman , so I looking for something in color that will show the speed,depth,water temp., where I am in the water, the shorelines ,buoys,bridges, water depth in the area,alarms, etc. I don't need to chart or plot courses to anywhere or to track . Looking for something in the 4"-5" size. Basic entree level unit that's simple to use. What do you guys think? Thanks-Russ

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Wow, I certainly can understand your dilemma for sure. I was at a Bass Pro shop a couple weeks ago, and the locators were both very technically advance and costly.

I haven't used one in many years myself, and was merely looking to see what was available. So many cost well more then my boat did or ever will. I usually use one for general depth and such. But the new models tell you everything. However, like so many other things, I think the typical consumer will go over the abilities of the multiple menus and then select something general and hardly ever use the various option ever again. At least that is what I know I would do.

So as far as what's the better for the cost, most any base model from any known manufacture would probably do more then you want. They are so competitive in their abilities and cost, that most anything you choose would work. In other words, I don't see one being way better then any other in the common know manufacturers. Totally JMHO!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I've been looking at the Garmin Striker 4. It's only about a hundred bucks and seems to have all the basics covered plus some neat features. The only reason that I haven't bought one is because my boat isn't finished yet! :facepalm: :lol:

I just found this video where the guy gives a pretty good review of how the unit works.

And I just found another video which shows more info on how to use the Garmin Striker 4 unit. Dang... tempting! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I would recommend an entry level Humminbird if budget is an issue. It will do anything you need to do for your purposes. It's the data chip that will determine the accuracy and info the unit will give you. The best I have had however is the Garmin unit. We fish the north shore of Erie and launch close to 2 massive docks that offload Lake Freighters, it marked everything under the water including capped Natural Gas pipelines, sunken vessels and closest Marinas and restaurants if the Marina has one. It died though, after 23 years. Garmin has their own software and it is good. I don't know if they provide their chips today. It's all in the software.

edit: I watched the video, unless you have 20/20 vision that small screen would be difficult to see. You don't want to be straining to see what's on it and piloting your boat. There is soft wear out there that will go on your smart phone and the screen might be even larger. My opinion only.

Last edited:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been researching the same thing. I don't need a fish finder, just a great mapping system. I keep hearing that Navionics maps plugged in to my old unused Ipad 2 16 gig, which is just gathering dust, will give great results. Let us know what you go with.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, it sounds like you are mostly interested in the GPS/chart function. It also sounds like you are interested in a large screen, to see the charts well. In my experience, it appears that screen size drives the cost of the unit more than any other feature I could see.

I would recommend you save your money until you can afford a large screen unit, say 2/3 the size of a piece of std paper.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I have had 2 Garmin color GPS/plotter s and like them a lot.

Very easy to use, split screen is pretty cool and they give you voltage, water temp and speed, average speed, highest speed, all kinds of stuff you don't really need.

We use Simrad at work, I build ponttons, so wil;l probably go with one of those if my cu

briangcc

Commander
No on the Striker. I own one, came with my current boat. It will not show you buoys or shoreline. Only a track of where you have been. If you like the Garmin size/features, go with an Echomap series.

I came from an Eagle FishElite and that had good GPS including shoreline, depth callouts, etc. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore since being merged into Lowrance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I would stick with a Garmin in your price range.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Size certainly DOSE matter....
l had a 5 inch unit once,
was less than impressive

Garmin colour sounder/ chartplotter,
actual screen size was closer to 4.5 inches than 5
even when using it just as a sounder the screen was small but when using the split screen mode was even smaller,

got rid of it and went up to a 7 inch lowrance model, was easier to use and everyone was happy,

l'm old and feeble though
my eyes don't work as well as they used to,

a larger model will cost more in the long term and has features l personally just don't use,
l'm not really a fan of the 27 different colour palettes though but even the smaller models have that,

southkogs

Staff member
I wound up getting a Hummingbird Helix 5 DI. I'm typically a Garmin guy, but I wound up being able to get this unit very inexpensively so I took it.

In the last couple years I've used Navionics on my iPhone, and it worked very well. Chews up battery power pretty quickly, and as some have said in certain situations it's tough to see the screen, but overall I liked the way it worked - even on the ICW.

I'm still learning the Hummingbird, but so far it works pretty nicely. Positioning seems to be very close and I find the screen pretty easy to read. I've only messed with it so far on a lake that I know, so I'm not sure what it's like if I'm in unfamiliar water.

briangcc

Commander
Right now its a toss up for me between the Humminbird Helix 5 DI that Kogs has (I'm really liking this) OR the 63CV from Garmin. Only reason I'm leaning Garmin is that I can reuse my already mounted transducer - this per a conversation with Garmin Support. Otherwise, I really like the Humminbird...

The Striker 4 screen is equivalent to a smart phone.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at the Garmin Echomap Chirp 74CV. I'll be doing some fishing but mostly chart plotting and depth finder alarm for shallow water. I with you guys saying 5" is not big enough :) Right now I'm using a tablet with Navitronics.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
No kidding, I wouldn't be happy with a 5" unit either! ;)

It isn't you that would be unhappy with the 5" unit [USER][/USER]

Screen size is what you are paying for in marine electronics as are televisions. The software in entry level GPS/Sonar are very similar. I have Lowrance, Garmin and Humminbird. The Garmin has more info but the Humminbird is more accurate sonar or fish finder. So I had both mounted on the dash before the Garmin died. It was crowded for sure. I couldn't see the tilt position well but you go by feel to got on plane anyway once you know your rig.